View Poll Results: Should Smith have been allowed a runner?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 47.14%
  • No

34 48.57%
  • andyc is my favourite CW moderator

3 4.29%
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Should Smith have been allowed a runner?

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Australia have been intimidating and disrespecting umpires pretty much throughout Ponting's tenure. Remember when he charged towards an umpire who had the gall to turn down his appeal for a catch? All the times Warne double/triple appealed after the umpire said not out. I could go on for quite a while.

Oh and as for that run out the batsman ran into the fielder. Tough titties. There's no comparison at all. Collingwood was not out and it was up to the umpires to make the correct decision. NZ's batsman was *out* and it was up to the captain to decide whether he should get another go after there's a good chance he'd have been run out anyway if he'd bothered to not run into the path of the fieldsman.
    Haven't Broad and Panesar been up for this in recent times? And I can't think of a recent Australian.

And Collingwood was out, if Vettori hadn't taken the high ground, he was gone.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Fielder takes a direct path towards the ball, batsman moves into that path. It isn't up to the fielder to make way for them. Tough luck batsman.

As for the substitute rule England are hardly alone in abusing it. Same as all teams slow the over rate in certain situations. Teams take advantage of the rules and singling one team out for it is pretty dumb. Most of these teams don't however regularly come up with some pompous ****e about the spirit of the game..
    I suggest you don't watch enough Cricket if you think England aren't abusing the law.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I suggest you don't watch enough Cricket if you think England aren't abusing the law.
    FFS, he said they aren't ALONE in abusing it, ie. they abuse it along with other countries.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRK-NANNES View Post
    FFS, he said they aren't ALONE in abusing it, ie. they abuse it along with other countries.
    But they are the most prolific. I remember one game where I wasn't sure they were playing cricket, or having a relay race to the dressing room.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    You know what during the Ashes when we were batting I saw a hell of a lot of Phil Hughes, I'm talking from the 3rd Test onwards
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Most of these teams don't however regularly come up with some pompous ****e about the spirit of the game..
    No. But they do come up with some thrilling lines like "My personal view is that you shouldn't get a runner for cramps, full stop", having previously taken a runner for cramps when it suited them. That's much worse, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Fielder takes a direct path towards the ball, batsman moves into that path. It isn't up to the fielder to make way for them. Tough luck batsman.

As for the substitute rule England are hardly alone in abusing it. Same as all teams slow the over rate in certain situations. Teams take advantage of the rules and singling one team out for it is pretty dumb. Most of these teams don't however regularly come up with some pompous ****e about the spirit of the game..
    I saw the replay of this the other day and it didn't look to me like the batsman was trying to get tripped over. He seemed to be doing his best to avoid everyone. I might need glasses though. You'd think if it was a case of tough luck batsman then the Kiwis were wrong to get angry and Collingwood should never have apologised.

I think most observers think it was pretty piss weak.

I don't recall too many teams Australia has played against struggling to spend an hour on the field. Especially somewhat conveniently straight after they've bowled. And to the advantage of someone who has come into the game injured in the first place. Yes the over-rate is slow on occasions but at least teams get fined. This sort of stuff gets ignored.

I think most team captains are a little too polite when it comes to substitutions and the like. And Ponting have every right to tell that fat turd and his mate to get off the field and bring up the clumsy attempts by England to slow things down.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by DIRK-NANNES View Post
    I can't recall too many that we've played against recently. When the commentators in the last series mentioned Flintoff had probably ducked off for a quick ice bath and some physio after his spell I nearly fell over.

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Not sure you're remembering this quite right, SOC. First, far from "trying to avoid the fielder", the NZ batsman changed direction onto a collision course with the fielder (in fact it's quite possible to draw the conclusion that he did so deliberately). Second, it's the batsman's job to get out of the way anyway. Third, the batsman wouldn't have made his ground if there hadn't been a collision. Fourth, I'm not sure Collingwood admitted quite what you remember him admitting.

Having said all of which, I'd have preferred Collingwood to have withdrawn the appeal.
    I saw the replay a couple of days ago and to me it looked like there was more than one other person around the ball and he was trying to avoid both of them. He was obviously pretty unsuccessful.

GIMH said Collingwood had since said he regretted not calling the batsman back.

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    I saw the replay a couple of days ago and to me it looked like there was more than one other person around the ball and he was trying to avoid both of them. He was obviously pretty unsuccessful.

GIMH said Collingwood had since said he regretted not calling the batsman back.
    That's not quite the same as admittind that he had no sense of sportsmanship though

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    That's not quite the same as admittind that he had no sense of sportsmanship though
    Is that what I said? I'll have to go back and re-read my post.

Hmmm, I don't think I was indicating that Collingwood had said "I have no sense of sportmanship', but rather that he admitted he shouldn't have let him walk. Apologies if it was a confusing sentence though.
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 02-10-2009 at 02:37 AM.

No excuse, you underarm-bowling convict

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    No excuse, you underarm-bowling convict
    Let's not turn this into some sort of uncouth slanging match you crooked-toothed, soap-dodging, inappropriately short skirt wearing, high heel carrying, deep fried mars bar eating, Vitamin D avoiding, fashion challenged, illegitimate Chav bastard!

(Note: I completely lost track of where the hyphens should go after the first couple of attempts)

U19 Vice-Captain

Woo down guys

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    crooked-toothed, soap-dodging, inappropriately short skirt wearing, high heel carrying, deep fried mars bar eating, Vitamin D avoiding, fashion challenged, illegitimate Chav bastard!
    There's no need to bring my mother in to this.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread Information