View Poll Results: Should Smith have been allowed a runner?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    33 47.14%
  • No

    34 48.57%
  • andyc is my favourite CW moderator

    3 4.29%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 185

Thread: Should Smith have been allowed a runner?

  1. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Not necessarily, no.

    You can be in pain without it being an injury (as was the case in this situation)
    How can this situation be different to the three occasions where England have used runners when their players have cramped. Are you saying in certain circumstances cramp is a injury but not in others.

  2. #137
    International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,272
    Come on guys 2 more for Smith...........................
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

  3. #138
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Remember when he charged towards an umpire who had the gall to turn down his appeal for a catch?
    Lol. Charged. He walked towards the umpire at a pace slightly above what was considered socially acceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

  4. #139
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Australia have been intimidating and disrespecting umpires pretty much throughout Ponting's tenure. Remember when he charged towards an umpire who had the gall to turn down his appeal for a catch? All the times Warne double/triple appealed after the umpire said not out. I could go on for quite a while.

    .
    So this justifies English captains to carry dirt in thier pockets to alter the condition of the ball and to use runners for cramps and then refuse to allows others to do the same.


  5. #140
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Lol. Charged. He walked towards the umpire at a pace slightly above what was considered socially acceptable.
    Haha, with the ball thrust towards the umpire's face, yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  6. #141
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,578


    See how the Ponting in full flight ruthlessly chases down its prey, in this case an unsuspecting nearby umpire...

  7. #142
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,553
    Haha look, it's been done to death during the Ashes, so I'm not going down that road again. Not quite sure why it's actually being discussed in this thread

  8. #143
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,578
    Haha, I just think Ponting is pretty hard done by in general, he seems a pretty decent guy to me. Streetwise's unsuccessful trolling is pretty annoying, but he has a point- if Ponting had taken a runner for cramps, then later refused his opposite number with the words "My personal view is that you shouldn't get a runner for cramps, full stop", he'd be absolutely crucified. Just like the cricketing world is invariably harsher on England's poor ODI performances than they are on anyone else's, Ponting gets a bum deal from fans all over.

  9. #144
    Hall of Fame Member Johnners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post


    See how the Ponting in full flight ruthlessly chases down its prey, in this case an unsuspecting nearby umpire...


    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Haha, I just think Ponting is pretty hard done by in general, he seems a pretty decent guy to me. Streetwise's unsuccessful trolling is pretty annoying, but he has a point- if Ponting had taken a runner for cramps, then later refused his opposite number with the words "My personal view is that you shouldn't get a runner for cramps, full stop", he'd be absolutely crucified. Just like the cricketing world is invariably harsher on England's poor ODI performances than they are on anyone else's, Ponting gets a bum deal from fans all over.
    Completely AWTA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

  10. #145
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Australia have been intimidating and disrespecting umpires pretty much throughout Ponting's tenure. Remember when he charged towards an umpire who had the gall to turn down his appeal for a catch? All the times Warne double/triple appealed after the umpire said not out. I could go on for quite a while.

    Oh and as for that run out the batsman ran into the fielder. Tough titties. There's no comparison at all. Collingwood was not out and it was up to the umpires to make the correct decision. NZ's batsman was *out* and it was up to the captain to decide whether he should get another go after there's a good chance he'd have been run out anyway if he'd bothered to not run into the path of the fieldsman.
    And England have been abusing the substitute fielder rule for a good 4-5 years.

    I do remember when Ponting moved in the umpires direction and gesticulated for a catch when he thought the umpire was ruling on an LBW yes.

    And the NZ batsman tried to avoid the fielders, was taken out, and then Collingwood let him walk. Anyone with any sense of sportsmanship wouldn't have let him walk, something Collingwood himself ended up admitting later.

    I also remember that you're an almost fanatical hater of Ricky Ponting.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

    R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

    Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

    "How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

  11. #146
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Lol. Charged. He walked towards the umpire at a pace slightly above what was considered socially acceptable.


    Yeah, charged sounds far more impressive though. Might as well say he buzzed the umpire in a light airplane shooting cricket balls from the mounted gun turrets.

  12. #147
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    And England have been abusing the substitute fielder rule for a good 4-5 years.

    I do remember when Ponting moved in the umpires direction and gesticulated for a catch when he thought the umpire was ruling on an LBW yes.

    And the NZ batsman tried to avoid the fielders, was taken out, and then Collingwood let him walk. Anyone with any sense of sportsmanship wouldn't have let him walk, something Collingwood himself ended up admitting later.

    I also remember that you're an almost fanatical hater of Ricky Ponting.
    Fielder takes a direct path towards the ball, batsman moves into that path. It isn't up to the fielder to make way for them. Tough luck batsman.

    As for the substitute rule England are hardly alone in abusing it. Same as all teams slow the over rate in certain situations. Teams take advantage of the rules and singling one team out for it is pretty dumb. Most of these teams don't however regularly come up with some pompous ****e about the spirit of the game..
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:


    MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

  13. #148
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cricket
    Posts
    16,845
    I'm with Smith & the saffies here, dont see why Strauss didn't allow the runner, Smith clearly couldn't move freely.

  14. #149
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,457
    Smitteh doesn't need a runner. The runner needs Smitteh.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

  15. #150
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burgess Hill
    Posts
    8,967
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    And the NZ batsman tried to avoid the fielders, was taken out, and then Collingwood let him walk. Anyone with any sense of sportsmanship wouldn't have let him walk, something Collingwood himself ended up admitting later.
    Not sure you're remembering this quite right, SOC. First, far from "trying to avoid the fielder", the NZ batsman changed direction onto a collision course with the fielder (in fact it's quite possible to draw the conclusion that he did so deliberately). Second, it's the batsman's job to get out of the way anyway. Third, the batsman wouldn't have made his ground if there hadn't been a collision. Fourth, I'm not sure Collingwood admitted quite what you remember him admitting.

    Having said all of which, I'd have preferred Collingwood to have withdrawn the appeal.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Could Graeme Smith break all captaincy records?
    By Richard in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 01-01-2008, 07:22 AM
  2. Teams of players all sharing a name.
    By pskov in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 07-06-2007, 09:59 PM
  3. The Smith and Vaughan Saga
    By Scaly piscine in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 15-10-2005, 06:16 AM
  4. Hinds and Smith in confrontation
    By Richard in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 09-05-2005, 12:53 PM
  5. JME01-Succesion Game
    By Jamee999 in forum General
    Replies: 115
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 02:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •