• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Double Match Day - NZ v Sri Lanka (27th Sept)

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why not? I just assumed Hopkins was in the squad ahead of him because he was injured. Can't be any other good reason for that.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Bit worried that we only have 5 bowlers, really need to replace Ryder with a bowling alrounder.
That explains a bit more (about Elliott bowling). Wondered why Guptill was brought on before him in the last match.

Really does affect our balance (again - how many ****ing injuries/ illnesses do we need this tournament??) having Elliott not bowling many and Ryder out. Wonder whether they'll fly in an opener like Redmond, or a number 3 like Styris or Fulton.

GGG

State Captain
That explains a bit more (about Elliott bowling). Wondered why Guptill was brought on before him in the last match.

Really does affect our balance (again - how many ****ing injuries/ illnesses do we need this tournament??) having Elliott not bowling many and Ryder out. Wonder whether they'll fly in an opener like Redmond, or a number 3 like Styris or Fulton.
Apparently Redmond is on his way.

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
I suppose that's good, but he's another right handed attacking batsman like McCullum and Guptill

Also, will Redmond be there in time to play in the next match?
He's flying to SA from Queensland, I imagine he left this morning, so he'll have to adjust pretty quickly tonight.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I'm not sure if Bond bowled badly last night or the batsmen just decided to hit him and all the shots came off.

It's bloody tough opening up to Dilshan and Sanath. He should find Strauss and co to be a lot more respectful.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Strauss enjoys pace on the ball though. Regularly punishes any slight err in line or length, except (broken record) the full ball outside off.

Generally struggles a little bit later in the innings when pace is off the ball and he has to play big shots to keep the scoring rate up.

thierry henry

International Coach
tbh Franklin was bowling lollipops, wasn't as impressive as his figures suggest (bowled mostly at the lesser batsmen). Was accurate enough but imo it's very frustrating to see him lobbing it down at 125kph when you know he can bowl so much faster. I think it's a rhythm/tecnhique thing as he seems to run in willingly enough but something's a little awry in the delivery stride.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Maybe he does it for accuracy when he isn't holding a new ball? Really I have no clue, definitely looks fit and like he could get up to that pace but is clearly holding it back.

But in a 5th bowlers role I'm very happy with how he bowled last night.

trapol

U19 12th Man
I cant believe Styris still isnt there

I know im getting boring but with the way this batting order has been playing and now Ryder out i guess the selectors are telling him something

My other conspiracy theory is that if they really thought NZ could win this tournament they wouldve sent for Styris, even though he hasnt played any cricket since the T20 (not that i know of anyway), but instead went for Redmond because he has been. This is just nonsense though tbh

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
I dont understand the lack of Piggy love around nz cricketing circles. Seemed an obvious replacement for BFJ but was overlooked again for Redmond.

Anyway, is anyone else sick of Baz playing these nurdling support roles that he cant play? We are much better for him to play his natural game and risk his wicket rather than dig us into a hole as he continually does.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Dig us into a hole? He certainly hasn't done that so far in the CT hes done it fine.

Still think it is a horrible way for him to play though but his knock was great yesterday and really helped set up a platform.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Dig us into a hole? He certainly hasn't done that so far in the CT hes done it fine.

Still think it is a horrible way for him to play though but his knock was great yesterday and really helped set up a platform.
Yep, yesterday was the first time I was happy with a McCullum 45 (70) special. Guess it all depends on how his partner goes. But in general IMO he should be the one doing what Ryder did yesterday and someone else playing the supporting role.