Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 92

Thread: Warm Ups

  1. #76
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    london
    Posts
    206
    Polo - still think Broom is average (not rubbish) scoring runs in a warm up means diddly squat.

    I dont believe for a second he will do anything like yesterday in the real matches although i hope to stand pleasantly corrected

  2. #77
    JJD Heads Athlai's Avatar
    Plops Champion! Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl:lsFJg/s
    Posts
    27,215
    Would rather move Ryder down than McCullum. Ryder struggles a little against the moving ball and if he went down the order could see him averaging 40+ with a good S/R
    Direbirds FTW!

    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

  3. #78
    JJD Heads Athlai's Avatar
    Plops Champion! Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl:lsFJg/s
    Posts
    27,215
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    I find it weird batting a specialist bat at 7, especially when Broom is more of a proper batsman than a hitter. Sure he obviously connected with a few against India in the warmup but his hitting/ slogging hasn't looked very good when I've watched before that. I guess they want to give Oram time to play himself in at 6, but not really sold on that.

    In fact in general it's very odd that we have McCullum, Ryder, Guptill and Taylor who are ALL hitters/ strokemakers in the top four, followed by Elliott, Oram, Broom, Vettori who are not really hitters. Two are 'nurdlers', Broom is more of a normal batsman and Oram can hit but is a slow starter and is out of form.

    So what happens when we need to consolidate at the start, or hit at the end of an innings?
    Broom should play 6.

    Franklin 7.

  4. #79
    State 12th Man godofcricket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lahore, Pakistan
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by metallics2006 View Post
    I guess India will play better with Sachin and Gambhir in the side. Nayar should play instead of Yusuf Pathan and Mishy should replace RP Singh.
    Well i hope they do. But from what i have seen recently that india is finding it extremely hard to even get close to chasing big totals. The compaq series was one example, true they won against NZ but they only chased 160 odd runs. Against sri lanka before the finals they were completely thrased when chasing 300+ runs even when they had tendulkar as an opener and again yesterday against NZ. What i am trying to say is Indias weakness is not only their bowling atm but their batting is also not firing when they are exerted in a bit of pressure.
    Wasim Akram: The most sKiLlFuL bowler in history!

    Mcgrath said he is fond of the genius "Akram would power through the crease and do whatever he wanted with the old and new ball"

    Allan Border "If I ever get a chance to be reborn as a cricketer, I would want to be Wasim"

    Richards, Tendulkar and Waugh described Akram as the most dangerous bowler they had ever faced.

    > > > Wasims Magic Delivery. Late Swing. Hatrick. < < <


  5. #80
    International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    l
    Posts
    6,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Would rather move Ryder down than McCullum. Ryder struggles a little against the moving ball and if he went down the order could see him averaging 40+ with a good S/R
    I agree about Ryder likely being better down the order. Only problem is that would leave McCullum and Guptill opening together who are too similar IMO. Followed by who, Broom at 3?

    No, I don't have a solution . No reordering I can think of fits perfectly.

    As others have said, can't see McCullum moving back down the order due to his vice-captaincy. Franklin would be a good hitter at 7 or 8, but as his bowling at the moment would be fodder it's pretty hard to select him.

  6. #81
    JJD Heads Athlai's Avatar
    Plops Champion! Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl:lsFJg/s
    Posts
    27,215
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    I agree about Ryder likely being better down the order. Only problem is that would leave McCullum and Guptill opening together who are too similar IMO. Followed by who, Broom at 3?

    No, I don't have a solution . No reordering I can think of fits perfectly.

    As others have said, can't see McCullum moving back down the order due to his vice-captaincy. Franklin would be a good hitter at 7 or 8, but as his bowling at the moment would be fodder it's pretty hard to select him.
    His bowling would be fine and probably better than Oram's.

    The number 3 problem is an interesting one really it would be putting faith in someone. Taylor or Flynn could do it.

    Guppy
    Baz
    Flynn
    Taylor
    Ryder
    Broom
    Franklin
    Vettori
    Mills
    Tuffey
    Bond

    Sorry Elliott.

    Though since Flynn is a rather dire one day batsman (I'd be putting him in that Dravid strike rotating mode) maybe just shift Ryder to 3.

    Guptill
    Baz
    Ryder
    Taylor
    Elliott
    Broom

  7. #82
    International Coach Shri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    10,828
    Quote Originally Posted by godofcricket View Post
    Well i hope they do. But from what i have seen recently that india is finding it extremely hard to even get close to chasing big totals. The compaq series was one example, true they won against NZ but they only chased 160 odd runs. Against sri lanka before the finals they were completely thrased when chasing 300+ runs even when they had tendulkar as an opener and again yesterday against NZ. What i am trying to say is Indias weakness is not only their bowling atm but their batting is also not firing when they are exerted in a bit of pressure.
    Yeah, I agree that they look that way when chasing big targets in matches that doesn't have any consequence. But, they seem to step up and perform in the big games these days(i mean the past couple of years). But, overall, based on very recent form, I agree that they are in a bit of a dip in all departments. Everything started with Sehwag's and Zaheer Khan's injury imo. If those two come back, the side will become more consistent and stronger.

  8. #83
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    2,040
    Quote Originally Posted by trapol View Post
    Polo - still think Broom is average (not rubbish) scoring runs in a warm up means diddly squat.

    I dont believe for a second he will do anything like yesterday in the real matches although i hope to stand pleasantly corrected
    Yeah, but you're opinion is based on very little. You admitted a while ago you havn't seen any NZ FC cricket in the last few years where Broom has been prominent. He's had very little international opportunities so far, often coming in when he just needs to slog (he is not a slogger, he is a proper batsman) or when the game is well and truly past us.

    This innings, despite it only being a warmup highlights that he CAN play at this level, just needs a little time to settle in (like almost every new player on the international scene does).

    Remember, Broom is only 25 and has undoubted talent. It's a shame for Broom that Elliott has got ahold of that number 5 spot, I think his game suits number 5 in ODI's quite nicely. Oh well, if he gets the gig at 6 I reckon he can do a good job.

  9. #84
    State 12th Man godofcricket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lahore, Pakistan
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by metallics2006 View Post
    Yeah, I agree that they look that way when chasing big targets in matches that doesn't have any consequence. But, they seem to step up and perform in the big games these days(i mean the past couple of years). But, overall, based on very recent form, I agree that they are in a bit of a dip in all departments. Everything started with Sehwag's and Zaheer Khan's injury imo. If those two come back, the side will become more consistent and stronger.
    I just have my doubts regarding indias batting, i will be following them very closely in this tournament. Anyway best of luck to your team.

  10. #85
    International Coach Shri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    10,828
    Quote Originally Posted by godofcricket View Post
    I just have my doubts regarding indias batting, i will be following them very closely in this tournament. Anyway best of luck to your team.
    Yeah. Looking forward to the Ind-Pak chat here during the CT game. Best of luck to your side too.

  11. #86
    First Class Debutant Naumaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by metallics2006 View Post
    Yeah. Looking forward to the Ind-Pak chat here during the CT game. Best of luck to your side too.
    but there shouldn't be any fight or leg pulling between fans lol

  12. #87
    International Vice-Captain Raghav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South India
    Posts
    4,077
    My NZ Team for this Champions Trophy on the SA tracks with the Batting Order is:

    Ryder
    Guptill
    Elliot
    Taylor
    Broom
    McCullum
    Vettori
    Mills
    Oram
    Bond
    Tuffey
    Supported Indian Cricket from 1992-2000 (till the match fixing scandal)

    Long Live Test Cricket

  13. #88
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    23,054
    Quote Originally Posted by metallics2006 View Post
    Faith doesn't win us games. Mishy does.
    Ahaha, sigged.

    Can't believe they picked Ojha over him for the World Twenty20. Clowns.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

  14. #89
    Hall of Fame Member Smudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Deep, deep south
    Posts
    16,605
    Is this the Warm-Ups thread or yet another NZ squad thread?

  15. #90
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    2,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    Is this the Warm-Ups thread or yet another NZ squad thread?
    NZ > world

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. June 1 warm up matches predictions
    By Naumaan in forum 2009 ICC World Twenty20
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-06-2009, 04:30 AM
  2. Warm up matches
    By Rebecca in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-11-2008, 07:52 AM
  3. T20 Warm Up matches in Kenya
    By andruid in forum Twenty20 World Cup
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 31-08-2007, 03:21 AM
  4. ICC Warm Up Matches
    By southafrica in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15-02-2007, 05:06 PM
  5. First Class Warm Up Series
    By Blewy in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-02-2006, 03:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •