• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's squad?

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
What is England's squad for this tournament? Have they selected the same loosing team against Australia? :laugh:

They should really bring the test side players to play this series, their current oneday squad wont be able to handle this tournament.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Was there any reason why we had to name our squad for the CT quite so early? Surely it would've made more sense to base our selections on the players' most recent form. Would've spiced up the interminable Australia series if we could've brought in some new blood.

Bopara, Shah & Prior would be gone and Morgan would have had his card marked too.

Here's a scary stat: only Joe Denly (he of 5 appearances) has a higher ODI average than the man whose name normally comes with "the much maligned" as a prefix: Ian Bell. :-O

& even then Denly strikes at roughly 10 runs less per 100.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Strauss to do well by English standards.
Colly to be Colly. Broad to be Broad.
Jimmeh and Swanny to do what they do :cool:
Everyone else to GTFOff the plane IMO. :p

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Bell isn't a bad ODI player tbh compared to some of the other dross we've had in the batting line-up. Pretty much the same as he is in Tests, gets a start then gets out, and let's face it that's better than this shower, who, well, just get out really

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bell isn't a bad ODI player tbh compared to some of the other dross we've had in the batting line-up. Pretty much the same as he is in Tests, gets a start then gets out, and let's face it that's better than this shower, who, well, just get out really
Think it's definitely one of those cases where he's looked better and better with each game he's missed.

Averaging 86.16 in List A for the season, as it goes.

Pothas

Bell is quite obviously a better bet than Bopara, I am starting to get a little bit tired of people just saying he is out of form, he really has never been very good at all, just look at his record.

An early exit is surley on the cards which will mean changes will come for South Africa, would be amazed if Trott does not come in but after that have no clue who will come and go.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bopara was awesome during the IPL, and he carried it into the home series against the Windies and the World T20. Exactly the kind of pinch-hitter you want at the top.

Midge Johnson owning him with a slower ball in the first innings of the Ashes shot his confidence.

Scaly piscine

Bopara was awesome during the IPL, and he carried it into the home series against the Windies and the World T20. Exactly the kind of pinch-hitter you want at the top.

Midge Johnson owning him with a slower ball in the first innings of the Ashes shot his confidence.

Awesome?!?

He had 5 innings, averaged 27.6 with a crap strike rate of 116. If he'd had more games that average would decrease.

His international T20 record is 22.7 with an even crappier strike rate of 111.

His domestic T20 record is hardly any better.

The guy is rubbish. He's not a pinch hitter. He's not a good batsman. It's not about being played in the wrong position, format, out of form, crisis of confidence, Uranus out of alignment with Venus or anything. He's just ****.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Bopara definitely has the potential to be a good player. Whether he becomes one or not depends quite a lot on whether he can bounce back from this last few months. He is only 24, after all.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think, like a few English players, he looks like he should be better than he his. Think one could also say the same of Bell, Vaughan & Ramprakash; all very elegant players and easy on the eye but their ultimate outputs were/are disappointing to varying degrees.

Hope I'm wrong, but think Ravi might end up going the same way. I also think, for all his superficial (and mildly dickish) ****iness the mental side of his game isn't quite there yet. His bad trots seem to rapidly spiral. Against both the Lankans and the Aussies when he started badly he couldn't lift himself out of the troughs.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it's a recurring theme in the England selection that they're too easily captivated by the classical strokeplay of an up-and-coming batsman. In fairness to them, Ramprakash and Bell has plenty of runs on the board too, but there's no way they'd have been retained so long if it weren't for the mere aesthetics of their game (in Bell's case anyway). Getting out in a variety of different ways is in no way "better" than getting out the same way a lot.

I'd always want to see the runs on the board when it comes to picking batsmen. The key skills in batting- consistency, concentration, mental toughness- are demonstrated better by how many runs a player gets over a number of years than by watching them bat. Obviously you have to watch them bat too, but I'd certainly give the numbers a sizeable weighting. With bowling I'd be a hell of a lot less methodical.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Bopara has plenty of runs on the board too, he averages 43 in FC cricket (same as Bell), 45 if you remove tests, over 89 matches.

With Bopara, I am hoping against hope that Essex make promotion to Division 1. Will be really good for him, as well as Foster, Napier, Cook (if not playing ODIs).

Scaly piscine

Can't see Bopara ever making it personally.

He's mentally not there. Players either have it or they don't and it lasts their career with very few exceptions.

There were runs for the taking against Australia. Any half decent batsman would have made a decent contribution - see Denly.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
(re. Bell) Think it's definitely one of those cases where he's looked better and better with each game he's missed.

Averaging 86.16 in List A for the season, as it goes.
Wouldn't be surprised to see Cook in the frame again too.