Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The main reason I'm looking forward to this tournament

The main reason I'm looking forward to this tournament

I know the tournament gets a lot of slack as a money hungry venture only existing to fill the ICC coffers. That aisde, the past one was one of my favourite tournaments and the best thing about it is the lack of minnows.

However, the best thing about it will be the settling for now, hopefully, who is the number 1 side in the world (a fully fit India, IMO), how far Australia have fallen and generally seperating the boys from the men with a heap of congested sides that are pretty equal on paper. It comes at a great time where the cricket foodchain is a bit unclear and hopefully we'll see many questions answered.

Happy to be the only person in the world watching, tbh.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Will watch almost all of it. Am stung by the cricket bug lately after being not too fussed about cricket for a while. Really looking forward to it. I love that there are no minnows too. I am looking forward to some good competitive cricket on South African tracks which are my favorite even though they tend to be flatter for ODIs.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Keen for it myself
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

International Vice-Captain Raghav's Avatar
    I am Hunger for Cricket ....any format... any time

Just waiting for it to start
    Supported Indian Cricket from 1992-2000 (till the match fixing scandal)

Long Live Test Cricket

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Yeah, pretty keen myself. Should be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    I know the tournament gets a lot of slack as a money hungry venture only existing to fill the ICC coffers. That aisde, the past one was one of my favourite tournaments and the best thing about it is the lack of minnows.
    Well the West Indies have seemingly ruined that.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Windies matches will be rest days to watch movies then. Perfect.

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    However, the best thing about it will be the settling for now, hopefully, who is the number 1 side in the world (a fully fit India, IMO), how far Australia have fallen and generally seperating the boys from the men with a heap of congested sides that are pretty equal on paper. It comes at a great time where the cricket foodchain is a bit unclear and hopefully we'll see many questions answered.
    I'm looking forward to watching the first week or so before I disappear off to uni as well, but have to disagree with this. Questions won't really be answered because any judgement that can be made on the verdict of what is almost a knock-out tournament, where one loss could kill your chances, will be superseded by the result of a five or seven game series between two of the bigger sides. If India win the CT, then lose 5-0 to Australia, which would you consider the better side?

TBH, I'm sick of watching the nth major tournament being hosted in South Africa. Nothing personal, but surely the 7 other nations could pull up their socks and do some serious talking at the ICC meetings? When was the last time Australia or New Zealand hosted a major tournament?

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo View Post
    I'm looking forward to watching the first week or so before I disappear off to uni as well, but have to disagree with this. Questions won't really be answered because any judgement that can be made on the verdict of what is almost a knock-out tournament, where one loss could kill your chances, will be superseded by the result of a five or seven game series between two of the bigger sides. If India win the CT, then lose 5-0 to Australia, which would you consider the better side?
    As a rule I tend to agree, but not when things going in are pretty even. Then a tournament like this can and should be used. When else do we get everyone together in the same room in the short term?

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    TBH, I'm sick of watching the nth major tournament being hosted in South Africa. Nothing personal, but surely the 7 other nations could pull up their socks and do some serious talking at the ICC meetings? When was the last time Australia or New Zealand hosted a major tournament?
    Got to do with timing? Fits in now, and not many other countries are suitable at this time?

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    It should be good fun. Also it is massive for the future of ODIs.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Got to do with timing? Fits in now, and not many other countries are suitable at this time?
    These are genuine questions, btw. Not trying to be a smart alec or anything; I don't know the reasons but I'm just throwing out some suggestions.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    These are genuine questions, btw. Not trying to be a smart alec or anything; I don't know the reasons but I'm just throwing out some suggestions.
    I though it was because of the Pakistan kafuffle that all the tournaments got shifted around. Hardly cricket playing season in NZ and Aus so SA seems like the best alternative.

I enjoy watching cricket in SA, best grounds in the world for me. Something in it for every team.

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    Not gonna miss any single game.

Just like Raghav, I too dont miss any format of Cricket. Thats the main reason why I have a TV set in my office - so I can watch the games during the office time as well.
    CricZo XI - Draft League

Season 1 M Hayden, G Gooch, R Dravid, W Hammond, K Pietersen, G Sobers, R Marsh (wk), R Benaud (c), D Steyn, W Hall, N Adcock

Season 2 J Hobbs, B Richards, D Boon, H Taylor, C Lloyd (c), A Stewart (wk), T Goddard, A Davidson, H Tayfield, C Ambrose, H Griffith

Season 3 H Sutcliffe, M Hayden, I Chappell (c), G Pollock, A Faulkner, M Hussey, D Lindsay (wk), I Botham, A Kumble, M Marshall, D Lillee

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information