• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand's squad for ICC Champions trophy

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
Code:
Jesse Ryder
Brendon McCullum
Martin Guptill
Ross Taylor
Grant Elliott
Neil Broom
Jacob Oram
Kyle Mills
Ian Butler
Daniel Vettori
Shane Bond

Gareth Hopkins
Brendon Diamanti
Jeetan Patel
Daryl Tuffey
Ugh, why do we continue to pick bits n' pieces Diamanti??
Oram is in but Styris is out, with Patel pipping Nathan McCullum for the 2nd spinner spot.

Should have had Franklin in over Diamanti, absolutely bizarre selection.

Last edited:

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
A dissapointing squad IMO, Brendon Diamanti is a poor mans scott styris. I think weve been too harsh on Styris when two years ago he was our best ODI batsman and his oppurtunities have been limited since then. Also, Jacob Oram needs to start pulling out some good performances if hes going to avoid the axe. Our ODI attack looks relatively threatening with Bond and Mills opening, Butler/ Tuffey/( oops! were a pace bowler short), followed by Vettori. I dont comprehend the need for Oram, Elliott and Diamanti in a 15 man squad. On this (one quick short) squad this is the team I would field:

McCullum
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Broom
Elliott
Oram
Vettori
Mills
Butler / Tuffey
Bond

Flem274*

123/5
A dissapointing squad IMO, Brendon Diamanti is a poor mans scott styris. I think weve been too harsh on Styris when two years ago he was our best ODI batsman and his oppurtunities have been limited since then. Also, Jacob Oram needs to start pulling out some good performances if hes going to avoid the axe. Our ODI attack looks relatively threatening with Bond and Mills opening, Butler/ Tuffey/( oops! were a pace bowler short), followed by Vettori. I dont comprehend the need for Oram, Elliott and Diamanti in a 15 man squad. On this (one quick short) squad this is the team I would field:

McCullum
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Broom
Elliott
Oram
Vettori
Mills
Butler / Tuffey
Bond
Actualy Diamanti is a bowling allrounder, unlike Styris.

And therein lies the problem. If Diamanti was a batting allroudner with a List A average of 35 and his current list A bowling average then I would agree with his selection in NZ squads.

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
Actualy Diamanti is a bowling allrounder, unlike Styris.

And therein lies the problem. If Diamanti was a batting allroudner with a List A average of 35 and his current list A bowling average then I would agree with his selection in NZ squads.
I realize that, but from what I've seen of his bowling he isnt much quicker that Styris whilst Styris can bowl quality cutters. Scotty is clearly the better with the bat so....where's the logic?

Polo23

International Debutant
Having a horrible A tour and he isn't particularly good at one day cricket.
Is that some kind of joke?

N McCullum on this A tour to India:

5/85
3/79
0/105
3/38

1 innings where he didn't take a handful of wickets. Hardly a bad effort against the best players of spin in the world. He also scored some handy runs batting down the order.

I'm interested to know what Patel has done lately to be included ahead of him.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
On this (one quick short) squad this is the team I would field:

McCullum
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Broom
Elliott
Oram
Vettori
Mills
Butler / Tuffey
Bond
I would prefer Styirs in there as well - with Broom as our backup batsman rather than starting the game.
Or failing that I wouldn't mind Mcglashan playing in addition to mcCullum. I like his style.

If I wasn't for that one problem at number 5 in the batting line up then I would rate as a chance to do some damage. Lets hope Broom can silence his doubters me included.

Also who is our back up batsman in case one of them gets injured. Looks like hopkins will have to step in as a batsman? Taylor or Ryder are bound to pull a hamstring or something for at least one game.
I also hope that Guptil is consistent he tends to have one good game and then sometimes takes a game off.

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
If I wasn't for that one problem at number 5 in the batting line up then I would rate as a chance to do some damage. Lets hope Broom can silence his doubters me included.
I think you mean no. 6/7? Grant Elliott is the incumbent no. 5, the last game with Elliott, Broom and Oram had Elliott @ 5, Oram @ 6 and Broom @ 7.

Really should have had N. McCullum in for Patel, McGlashan in for Hopkins and Franklin in for Diamanti.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Really should have had N. McCullum in for Patel, McGlashan in for Hopkins and Franklin in for Diamanti.
This exactly.

I thought N McCullum and McGlashan were pretty much the ODI incumbents for their spot in the team and I really can't understand what Patel and Hopkins have done (given it's the off season and all) to sneak in ahead of them.

Franklin clearly better than Diamanti, though I'm not sold on Franklin in ODIs at the moment either. Would prefer that he'd focus on tests, but that's pretty hard when the frickin' selectors won't pick him :huh:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Is that some kind of joke?

N McCullum on this A tour to India:

5/85
3/79
0/105
3/38

1 innings where he didn't take a handful of wickets. Hardly a bad effort against the best players of spin in the world. He also scored some handy runs batting down the order.

I'm interested to know what Patel has done lately to be included ahead of him.
:blink:
:wacko:
He was basically the A team's best bowler
Jeets > Logic

trapol

U19 12th Man
Sorry dirty dirky diggler Nannes but you are incorrect.

The last ODI NZ played the order went Styris/Elliott/Oram at 5/6/7. Although with the dominance the NZers had over India in that one game they werent needed.

Amazing Styris has been left out also. Will be interesting to see what affect the new panel has now with Vettori/Moles. I guess we'll see after the performances of the CT/SL tours and how well these guys go

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Amazing Styris has been left out also.
It's not amazing at all that Styris has been left out of this squad. He's had bugger all cricket for NZ lately and that makes him hard to pick.

What is amazing is that the selectors have had such little faith or patience with him in the last year - that's why he's had bugger all cricket.

They may have been grumpy that he threw his toys out of the cot last year and quit test cricket, but soon after that he was playing ODIs against England here, and had an excellent series in England. Failed in October against Bangladesh three times and had injury problems, and now the selectors have forgotten he exists.

He's played a couple of 20/20s also but they're pretty much irrelevant IMO. As a good player for a long period I think he deserved a little more leeway.

Polo23

International Debutant
Styris shot himself in the foot by quitting test cricket. For mine he's only got himself to blame. I'm happy to see they are sticking with Broom, far more long term in all forms than Styris.

trapol

U19 12th Man
The difference between Broom and Styris though is that Styris is infinitely better, is proven at International level and was consistent here in the UK and if you went to all the games that they played over here in the T20 he actualy looked good and in good touch (besides the SL game obviously)

Youre right for a guy who has performed very well for NZ for 10 years to be discarded so quickly is an injustice. Which is why it'll be interesting to see what influence Vettori/Moles have as its been reported that both havent been happy with the team theyve been at times which may be the exclusion of Styris?

I dont buy this whole threw his toys out of the cot as again it was reported that he had mentioned to Fleming when in SA that he was going to give up test cricket at the end of the summer. So all it did was bring it forward 3 months. With the attitude of discarding your payers for playing one form of the game does this mean now that Freddie over here is discarded for the same thing. Up to his injury against the WI on boxing day lets not forget he was NZs number 1 ranked batsman on the World Rankings. In Fact B Mac has only just passed because Styris hasnt played.

Just think we cant afford to lose his experience. Bring in the Brooms to learn from him otherwise he/Elliott/Williamson and co will flounder for longer than they should