Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Polo23 View Post
    Is that some kind of joke?

N McCullum on this A tour to India:

5/85
    3/79
    0/105
    3/38

1 innings where he didn't take a handful of wickets. Hardly a bad effort against the best players of spin in the world. He also scored some handy runs batting down the order.

I'm interested to know what Patel has done lately to be included ahead of him.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRK-NANNES View Post

He was basically the A team's best bowler
    Jeets > Logic
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

U19 12th Man
    Sorry dirty dirky diggler Nannes but you are incorrect.

The last ODI NZ played the order went Styris/Elliott/Oram at 5/6/7. Although with the dominance the NZers had over India in that one game they werent needed.

Amazing Styris has been left out also. Will be interesting to see what affect the new panel has now with Vettori/Moles. I guess we'll see after the performances of the CT/SL tours and how well these guys go

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trapol View Post
    Amazing Styris has been left out also.
    It's not amazing at all that Styris has been left out of this squad. He's had bugger all cricket for NZ lately and that makes him hard to pick.

What is amazing is that the selectors have had such little faith or patience with him in the last year - that's why he's had bugger all cricket.

They may have been grumpy that he threw his toys out of the cot last year and quit test cricket, but soon after that he was playing ODIs against England here, and had an excellent series in England. Failed in October against Bangladesh three times and had injury problems, and now the selectors have forgotten he exists.

He's played a couple of 20/20s also but they're pretty much irrelevant IMO. As a good player for a long period I think he deserved a little more leeway.

International Debutant
    Styris shot himself in the foot by quitting test cricket. For mine he's only got himself to blame. I'm happy to see they are sticking with Broom, far more long term in all forms than Styris.

U19 12th Man
    The difference between Broom and Styris though is that Styris is infinitely better, is proven at International level and was consistent here in the UK and if you went to all the games that they played over here in the T20 he actualy looked good and in good touch (besides the SL game obviously)

Youre right for a guy who has performed very well for NZ for 10 years to be discarded so quickly is an injustice. Which is why it'll be interesting to see what influence Vettori/Moles have as its been reported that both havent been happy with the team theyve been at times which may be the exclusion of Styris?

I dont buy this whole threw his toys out of the cot as again it was reported that he had mentioned to Fleming when in SA that he was going to give up test cricket at the end of the summer. So all it did was bring it forward 3 months. With the attitude of discarding your payers for playing one form of the game does this mean now that Freddie over here is discarded for the same thing. Up to his injury against the WI on boxing day lets not forget he was NZs number 1 ranked batsman on the World Rankings. In Fact B Mac has only just passed because Styris hasnt played.

Just think we cant afford to lose his experience. Bring in the Brooms to learn from him otherwise he/Elliott/Williamson and co will flounder for longer than they should

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    The difference between Broom and Styris though is that Styris is infinitely better, is proven at International level and was consistent here in the UK and if you went to all the games that they played over here in the T20 he actualy looked good and in good touch (besides the SL game obviously)

Youre right for a guy who has performed very well for NZ for 10 years to be discarded so quickly is an injustice. Which is why it'll be interesting to see what influence Vettori/Moles have as its been reported that both havent been happy with the team theyve been at times which may be the exclusion of Styris?

I dont buy this whole threw his toys out of the cot as again it was reported that he had mentioned to Fleming when in SA that he was going to give up test cricket at the end of the summer. So all it did was bring it forward 3 months. With the attitude of discarding your payers for playing one form of the game does this mean now that Freddie over here is discarded for the same thing. Up to his injury against the WI on boxing day lets not forget he was NZs number 1 ranked batsman on the World Rankings. In Fact B Mac has only just passed because Styris hasnt played.

Just think we cant afford to lose his experience. Bring in the Brooms to learn from him otherwise he/Elliott/Williamson and co will flounder for longer than they should
    lol

Taylor is waaaay higher. 17th in ODI's with a ranking of 662 (peak of 699)

Styris's highest EVER ODI rating was 665.

Taylor > Styris at limited overs

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    I dont buy this whole threw his toys out of the cot as again it was reported that he had mentioned to Fleming when in SA that he was going to give up test cricket at the end of the summer. So all it did was bring it forward 3 months.
    Don't get me wrong I want him in the team too. It was just the timing of his decision to not play test cricket seemed suspicious to the public. They announced a test match squad one day and he wasn't in it. And then the next day he announced he was retiring from test cricket so it seemed like sour grapes.
    The thing about that england series where he played so well in the ODIs is that by memory he looked scratchy in his first game and then looked a million dollars in the next games as he came into form.
    I think it is hard to just jump into international cricket to just play ODIs because it must be a step up from first class. So the one concern about him playing the champions trophy is - has he had enough international cricket recently.
    That being said I would still pick him. And have been advocating this. I think all this not rewarding players with loyalty sends a bad message to the rest of the team and leads to them being under too much pressure.

On a personal note when Styris was 14 years old and playing against me in a school 1st XI game I was wicket keeping and I caught him behind and he didn't walk...
    Last edited by Hurricane; 25-08-2009 at 12:42 AM.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Sorry dirty dirky diggler Nannes but you are incorrect.

The last ODI NZ played the order went Styris/Elliott/Oram at 5/6/7. Although with the dominance the NZers had over India in that one game they werent needed.
    Well considering they weren't needed, how could we know the order?

Anyway, what I meant was the last game that the three of Elliott, Broom and Oram were all in the team.
    1st ODI: New Zealand v India at Napier, Mar 3, 2009 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Quote Originally Posted by DIRK-NANNES View Post
    the last game with Elliott, Broom and Oram had Elliott @ 5, Oram @ 6 and Broom @ 7

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Hmmm, they have the reserve keeper all wrong.

Hopkins=test reserve
    McGlashan=ODI reserve

I think the selectors got very impatient with Styris's inconsistency match by match, added to the fact he wasn't in line for tests and he probably got forgotten.

I think he's currently better than Broom, though in domestics they'll both bash the crap out of domestic attacks.

Only problem I have with Broom is he's being forced into a hitting role which I'm not sure is his game. Also his List A record is quite scratchy, whilst the First Class one should have him as one of the first picked for tests if someone gets dropped from the test team. I think they've got him the wrong way around.

The selectors do seem to realise that Elliott will be a very good ODI allrounder but a poor test one though, which is good. Well, they did at least, then he got picked for SL.
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Cricket Spectator
    SHANE BOND

enough said, without him the NZ bowling attack..not to be rude..is kinda ...whats the word...crap

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Yeah, that Kyle Mills who has been world class in ODIs for a couple of years is rubbish, along with that left arm spinner whatshisface?

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Yeah, that Kyle Mills who has been world class in ODIs for a couple of years is rubbish, along with that left arm spinner whatshisface?
    Paul Harris?

International Debutant
    The difference between Broom and Styris though is that Styris is infinitely better
    Completely speculative and in my opinion incorrect.

Styris is gone, get over it.

Cricket Spectator
    ok, vettori is alright...kyle mills? he is an average bowler...thats it

U19 12th Man
    Athai - As for the rankings i dont mean now. I said at the time of his injury which was boxing day 08 when he had his thumb broken. He was number 1, which is a performance thing so he must have shagged Turners daughter or something for him not to be there....ha

Polo - i dont htink we've seen the last of him. Again as i mentioned i just have this hunch that with Vettori/Moles now selecting he is one of those guys they want. But only time will tell on this because if the team loses and badly in SL and then bombs at the CT then we could see him back. All ifs and buts i know otherwise if they do do well i think youre right these new guys will be there to stay

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information