• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Group B Discussion - South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, England

James

Cricket Web Owner
Tue Sep 22
Group B - South Africa v Sri Lanka
SuperSport Park, Centurion

Thu Sep 24
Group B - South Africa v New Zealand

Fri Sep 25
Group B - England v Sri Lanka
New Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg

Sun Sep 27
Group B - New Zealand v Sri Lanka

Sun Sep 27
Group B - South Africa v England

Tue Sep 29
Group B - England v New Zealand

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
No choke for South Africa. Should just lose all their games and not get anyone's hopes up.

But they have got the best surface to play both Sri Lanka and New Zealand. Pace and bounce nullifies Sri Lanka's most potent weapons and gives them a huge advantage against the New Zealand batsman. So another false dawn looks on the cards. :sleep:

Not even thinking about England. No chance.

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
No choke for South Africa. Should just lose all their games and not get anyone's hopes up.

But they have got the best surface to play both Sri Lanka and New Zealand. Pace and bounce nullifies Sri Lanka's most potent weapons and gives them a huge advantage against the New Zealand batsman. So another false dawn looks on the cards. :sleep:

Not even thinking about England. No chance.
well who knows they reach semi's

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
well who knows they reach semi's
Some ask without KP and the likelihood, no Fred. Last two games without those players, England has lost to the Netherlands and a test match by an innings.

KP's absence in ODI cricket is even more pronounced than in test cricket, as he is England's only proven ODI batsman. No one else comes close. I can't see how a top order of Ravi, Wright, Strauss, Denly, Colly and Morgan, could chase anything which is reasonably tough.

Flintoff is a wicket taking bowler in ODI cricket, England only has him and Broad. No him and you lose that but also someone who is capable of bowling at the death.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
No point in starting a new thread but this is the South African squad...

Smith, Botha, Amla, Boucher, AB, JP, Gibbs, Kallis, Albie, Ntini, Parnell, Robbie P, Steyn, Tsotsobe, van der Merwe.

Apparently a contingent of the squad is unhappy that Morne Morkel was axed and want head selector, Mike Procter sacked for his sins.

South Africa are resting everything on Steyn and Parnell firing as Ntini isn't an option and Tsotsobe is still on the comeback trail after knee surgery. Charl Langeveldt was the player they wanted but he still isn't ready for selection after shoulder surgery. Think they would have preferred selecting a squad of 13...

Also, watch the waist lines of Kallis, Bouch and Smith, reportedly all three men have been on diets.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
The order the matches are played in is interesting. The favourites from this group (IMO) playing each other in the first match and the winner of that will almost certainly go through. South Africa can virtually assure a spot in the semis with wins in the first two matches which would make the scrap for the other spot interesting.

South Africa should definitely get through the group, despite their reputation for falling over in tournaments and the added pressure of being at home.

SL are good but with some obvious weaknesses in the lower middle order and the conditions may not suit them (what are SA limited over wickets like at this time of year?).

NZ have gone downhill a lot as an ODI side in the last year or so and to me the batting order looks all ass-about-face. The bowling is good (fitness permitting - our backups aren't so good) so if the batting works then we have a chance.

England have reverted to being rubbish in ODIs, or maybe that's a clever ploy so that SA, SL & NZ underestimate them.

I'm going to go against orthodoxy and pick South Africa and England to go through to the semis. :cool:

Last edited:

King Pietersen

International Captain
England are favourites tbh.

Seriously, I'm going to go with South Africa and Sri Lanka to advance, although Bond could have a say in NZ getting through, especially in South Africa with the pacey wickets.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
SL middle order is getting organized a bit. Sangakkara, Jayawardane, Mathews and probably Dilshan are going to enjoy the extra pace for sure.

SeamUp

International Coach
The early season one-day wicket is tough to describe.

It will be either slow due to over-watering or it could be a spicy wicket with bounce. I don't know what preparation the groundsmen have done because SA will most definitely play 2 spinners. I did hear that the new strips prepared in the off season could make the Centurion and Wanderers pitch pretty sporty.

If England had KP and Flintoff I would say England and SA would progress.

But now it seems the key match will be Sri Lanka and New Zealand.

From my memories, NZL and SRL haven't been close to competing against SA in ODI series in SA since 1992 so its up in the air. I'm leaning towards New Zealand because their bowling attack is more suited to taking wickets on our pitches. All I remember is that NZL and SRL have been the 2 worst touring teams because their batsmen couldn't handle our pace attack over the years.

baardslichten

Cricket Spectator
best all rounder

J Kallis needs 3 more ODI wickets to reach the following amazing record : scoring more than 10 000 runs in both Tests and ODI's while also having taken at least 250 wickets in both formats of the game. Has any other player ever reached this or anyone else close to reaching this amazing feat ?

Athlai

Not Terrible
J Kallis needs 3 more ODI wickets to reach the following amazing record : scoring more than 10 000 runs in both Tests and ODI's while also having taken at least 250 wickets in both formats of the game. Has any other player ever reached this or anyone else close to reaching this amazing feat ?
Interesting question.

The nearest in Tests for any player with 10'000 runs is Steve Waugh with 92 wickets.
The nearest in Tests for any player with 250 wickets is Kapil Dev with 5248 runs and then Botham with 5200.

Sanath Jayasuriya has 13343 runs in ODIs and 319 wickets.
The nearest after that in ODIs with 10'000 runs is Tendulkar with 154 wickets then Ganguly with 100.
Afridi has the most runs out of all players with 250+ wickets after Kallis and Jayasuriya in ODIs with 5715

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
My NZ Team for this Champions Trophy on the SA tracks with the Batting Order is:

Ryder
Guptill
Elliot
Taylor
Broom
McCullum
Vettori
Mills
Oram
Bond
Tuffey

Would like to see McCullum drop the order. His quick 30's and 40's help NZ more at the bottom of the order rather than at the top. Guptill should open with Ryder. Send Oram down the order... cant see him hitting the ball anymore

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think if we drop anyone down the order it should be Ryder. McCullum would be best at 7 or opening and we need a 6 more than we need a 7.

Elliott at 3 is interesting, has he ever played there in List A cricket?