Page 83 of 83 FirstFirst ... 3373818283
Results 1,231 to 1,242 of 1242

Thread: *Official* Group B Discussion - South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, England

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    What happened to McGlashan? Why exactly is Hopkins around when he isn't?
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Would cut Oram from it, and keep Elliott. Other than that I agree totally. The batting order could be changed up but the players are the best we have and there is no need to change it.
    Totally forgot about Elliott truth be told & wouldn't be massively disappointed if he was selected ahead of Oram assuming all were fit. Even though Oram has copped plenty of justified criticism for his batting in recent times, we mustn't forget he's a damn good ODI bowler as his career econ of 4.39 in over 130 games illustrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    What happened to McGlashan? Why exactly is Hopkins around when he isn't?
    64k question that, I'm still scratching over it

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12 View Post
    Totally forgot about Elliott truth be told & wouldn't be massively disappointed if he was selected ahead of Oram assuming all were fit. Even though Oram has copped plenty of justified criticism for his batting in recent times, we mustn't forget he's a damn good ODI bowler as his career econ of 4.39 in over 130 games illustrates.
    Franklin isn't that much worse an ODI bowler and Elliott is certainly a better batsman so I reckon the team as a whole would benefit more in dropping Oram.
    Direbirds FTW!

Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Franklin isn't that much worse an ODI bowler
    Disagree here, would back Oram to out-bowl Franklin in ODI's they both played about 7-8 times out of 10. There's quite a big difference between an econ-rate of 4.39 & 5.10 considering both players have played over 60 games, not to mention Oram having both the better ave & strike rate. On the other side of the coin would much rather Franklin as a test bowler than Oram, but that's pretty obvious.

Elliott is certainly a better batsman so I reckon the team as a whole would benefit more in dropping Oram.
    Definitely on recent form you'd back his batting over Oram's. That said, I think most of us realise Elliott's outstanding ODI record after 20 odd games - ave 40 bat & 21 ball - does flatter to deceive a little.
    Last edited by Zinzan; 01-10-2009 at 03:40 AM.

Disagree here, would back Oram to out-bowl Franklin in ODI's they both play about 7-8 times out of 10. There's quite a big difference between an econ-rate of 4.39 & 5.10 considering both players have played over 60 games, not to mention Oram having the better ave & econ rate. Incidentally, would much rather Franklin as a test bowler than Oram, but that's pretty obvious.

Definitely on recent form you'd back his batting over Oram's. That said, I think most of us realize Elliott's outstanding ODI record after 20 odd games - ave 40 bat & 21 ball - does flatter to deceive a little.
    Oram is definitely more economical and therefore a better ODI bowler but in a 5th bowler capacity I think Franklin is a very decent prospect.
    Think Oram has completely lost his eye with the bat as well.

Think Oram has completely lost his eye with the bat as well.
    Nah, only thing he's lost is his confidence which typifies his whole career if you study it. Lack of confidence has always been Oram's achilles heel, something even Astle alluded to in his book.

Would be exceedingly surprised if it we're 'the loss of his eye' given he's just turned 31 remembering very few players lose their eye until they're around 33 & older.

Nah, only thing he's lost is his confidence which typifies his whole career if you study it. Lack of confidence has always been Oram's achilles heel, something even Astle alluded to in his book.

Would be exceedingly surprised if it we're 'the loss of his eye' given he's just turned 31 remembering very few players lose their eye until they're around 33 & older.
    Hope you're right TBH.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Disagree here, would back Oram to out-bowl Franklin in ODI's they both played about 7-8 times out of 10. There's quite a big difference between an econ-rate of 4.39 & 5.10 considering both players have played over 60 games, not to mention Oram having both the better ave & strike rate. On the other side of the coin would much rather Franklin as a test bowler than Oram, but that's pretty obvious.

Definitely on recent form you'd back his batting over Oram's. That said, I think most of us realise Elliott's outstanding ODI record after 20 odd games - ave 40 bat & 21 ball - does flatter to deceive a little.
    Still can't deny Elliott performs when it matters, which is a rarity for an NZ player sometimes.

I like the team you listed though, pretty darn good.

Uppercut: As already said, no idea. I'm not sure why we think Hopkins is better than McGlashan but we do for some reason. Pretty harsh considering McGlashan has a fifty against India and has only played a couple of games.
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    Totally agree.

In the professional era NZ sporting teams have often been accused of lacking the mental toughness and hard edge to compete. Now, that we have someone who likes to take advantage of his opponent's adsent-mindedness, you complain about that too?
    Is this a serious post or some sort of parody of talkback callers and NZ Herald letter to the editor writers?

All I'm saying is McCullum is pretty much the only guy around doing this stuff. So if what he's doing is ok, that must mean every other international cricketer is soft and McCullum is a genius. Pretty far-fetched.

And since I've been lured into this ridiculous "PC vs Un-PC" argument of slogans and cliches, let me just say....

I would love our cricketers to be a lot mentally tougher, i.e. BAT AND BOWL BETTER! Concentrate harder, keep giving 100% at all times, be able to keep your wits about you during tough times or pressure moments.

Has nothing to do with trying to run people out when they think it's the end of the over. Actually, if you looked up "soft option" in the dictionary.....

(yes, I know, you wouldn't find it because it's two words)

Page 83 of 83 FirstFirst ... 3373818283

Thread Information