• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Group B Discussion - South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, England

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
These lines should be on NZ dressing room!!!

1. Oram needs to bat between Vettori and the bowlers because runs are now considered a bonus.

2. McCullum might even find bringing the team home in the final 10 overs rather than starting them off is the variety his game needs.

3. Perhaps this tournament will tell if McCullum is on the verge of burnout or simply suffering from bad form and bad advice.

4. McCullum's place is not under threat but his reputation has taken a hit during the past couple of months.

5. Oram's bowling remains as methodical as a Swiss clock.

6. Oram's batting average is just 24.4 after 132 games and he is a worse starter than pea soup.

7. Jacob Oram, Brendon McCullum and coach Andy Moles can ill afford to come home with their tails between their legs.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No it doesn't. It counts as being outplayed by a team who isn't too far behind them in quality and experience.
This. Sri Lanka are properly awesome. Dilshan, Jayasuriya, Sangakarra, Jayawardene, Samaraweera in the top order; Malinga, Kulasekara, Murali and Mendis in the attack. Can no one else see how bloody good that lineup actually is?

Briony

International Debutant
Dont see how a 7-10 of Morkel/VDM/Botha/Parnell is makeshift. Thats the best lower-order in ODI cricket.
Morkel never seems to make a fifty, Parnell's never batted at international level. Botha is slow and hasn't really got a big score to his name, while VDM seems hit and miss and closes his eyes half the time while playing shots.

Polo23

International Debutant
This. Sri Lanka are properly awesome. Dilshan, Jayasuriya, Sangakarra, Jayawardene, Samaraweera in the top order; Malinga, Kulasekara, Murali and Mendis in the attack. Can no one else see how bloody good that lineup actually is?
It is a very good team...though, perhaps not quite as good as you think it is. Jayasuriya is past it for mine and the jury is still out on Samaraweera as an ODI player. Lanka's main weakness is in the middle order, looks a little suspect to me. Will be tough to beat though if the top order continues to fire.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Dilshan is up there, Jayasuriya is winding down, Sanga and Jayawardene are both solid but better suited to Tests, Samaraweera is having a good year but not a great ODI bat.
Then after that top 5 there is very very little to come, Mathews has potential.
Malinga (and I'm his biggest fan) has been quite mediocre lately. Kulasekara is solid.
Mendis and Murali are the best spin bowling combo in the world by a long way.

So one-two troublesome bowling spots and a weak lower order.

Raghav

McCullum, Guptill should switch batting spots - Martin Crowe

I got a person who supports my idea of McCullum droping down the order and Guptil to open with Ryder ..

Some excerpts from that article:

"I'd love to see Brendon McCullum drop down to number six or seven and Guptill come up and join Jesse Ryder," Crowe told. "I think those guys are in reasonable form and we know that McCullum isn't.

"With McCullum coming down the order, if he's got a target in his sight it will help his focus. He struggles to set up innings and he has done for a while now."

"I'd also bring (Neil) Broom, who has shown some form in the warm-up games, up to four or five to join (Grant) Elliott, and (Ross) Taylor would go into number three, where I think he could do some real damage in the first few overs."

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
McCullum, Guptill should switch batting spots - Martin Crowe

I got a person who supports my idea of McCullum droping down the order and Guptil to open with Ryder ..

"
I think Moles is a poor coach. McCullum needs to be directed to play his shots and have a free license. Instead he has really reined himself in this year. His SR is the lowest of the top 5 NZ batsman this year according to a post someone else made. He bats with too much responsibility and he doesn't have the technical game to play conservatively.
I am ok with him opening but only if he goes back to the original McCullum who scores QUICKLY.

In today's Dominion Post Millmow made a comment about Moles saying that the team has not progressed under his management so I am pleased some attention is being directed towards him.

Can't wait until tomorrows game.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dilshan is up there, Jayasuriya is winding down, Sanga and Jayawardene are both solid but better suited to Tests, Samaraweera is having a good year but not a great ODI bat.
Then after that top 5 there is very very little to come, Mathews has potential.
Malinga (and I'm his biggest fan) has been quite mediocre lately. Kulasekara is solid.
Mendis and Murali are the best spin bowling combo in the world by a long way.

So one-two troublesome bowling spots and a weak lower order.
No one's saying they're all the greatest players in the world, but it's nine players out of a team of eleven with no question marks over their place whatsoever. Ten if you count Mathews.

Apart from South Africa, all the other teams look a bit patchy to me. Australia have players like Tim Paine, Michael Clarke and Nathan Bracken who no one's convinced about at the moment. India have Rahul Dravid, RP Singh, Ashish Nehra; England have an entire batting lineup of weak links, New Zealand have an awful lot of inexperienced players and Pakistan are a bit mercurial.

Sri Lanka have nine or ten players who could all very easily contribute heavily to a victory. That's more than any other team, apart from the one they've already beaten.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Morkel never seems to make a fifty,
If the top order is doing its job like they were against Australia, then he shouldn't be given the chances to make a fifty, which has been few and far between. I wouldn't play him though unless he's above Boucher because he plays better when he's able to build an innings. His first class record is a testament to that. They're wasting his abilities at 7and given his poor form with the ball as first change, I'd be inclined to drop him and play the extra seamer.

Parnell's never batted at international level.
Still has great potential with the bat.

Botha is slow...
Fair assessment. He is a conservative batsmen. Nevertheless, a strike rate of 85 at an average of 20 is not bad. I agree with the others that VDM should be ahead of him, maybe Parnell too.

...hasn't really got a big score to his name,
Same as Morkel.

while VDM seems hit and miss and closes his eyes half the time while playing shots.
and it's proven rather effective. From domestic performances, he can take the game away from the opposition and he's batted consistently above 7, sometimes as high as 3.

The middle-lower order is fantastic, maybe too good and it's compromised that bowling a bit especially in the first change option. Kallis isn't bowling like he used to and Albie has been extremely poor. I don't think SA will drop the spinners because of their effectiveness in the middle overs, so if they're going to make changes, it would probably be Albie who'll get the chop.

Last edited:

Faisal1985

There was beautiful stroke play on display in this game.....however, if i had to choose out of Dilshan, Mahela, Sangakara, Smith, and Kallis.......i am going to go with Kallis..........his shots were pure beauty as far as i am concerned.....Dilshan played some beauties as well and so did Smith, Mahela and Sanga...but i personally found Kallis's stroke play amazing clean hitting and he was middling everything...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
No one's saying they're all the greatest players in the world, but it's nine players out of a team of eleven with no question marks over their place whatsoever. Ten if you count Mathews.

Apart from South Africa, all the other teams look a bit patchy to me. Australia have players like Tim Paine, Michael Clarke and Nathan Bracken who no one's convinced about at the moment. India have Rahul Dravid, RP Singh, Ashish Nehra; England have an entire batting lineup of weak links, New Zealand have an awful lot of inexperienced players and Pakistan are a bit mercurial.

Sri Lanka have nine or ten players who could all very easily contribute heavily to a victory. That's more than any other team, apart from the one they've already beaten.
Can't agree that AUS are patchy right now. Tim Paine is sort of a weak link, but his slow scoring can me masked by the strengh of AUS middle & lower-order. Clarke looked better in the later half of the ODI series in ENG so no worries there. No issue with Bracken, Siddle may play ahed of him given how the Jo'Burg wicket look today - which makes AUS pace attack the most lethal in this tournament.

Faisal1985

Can't agree that AUS are patchy right now. Tim Paine is sort of a weak link, but his slow scoring can me masked by the strengh of AUS middle & lower-order. Clarke looked better in the later half of the ODI series in ENG so no worries there. No issue with Bracken, Siddle may play ahed of him given how the Jo'Burg wicket look today - which makes AUS pace attack the most lethal in this tournament.
If Joburg's pitch stays green i don't see how either Pak or Ind. can beat Aus. It will be a tough one.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Butler and Oram are out for tonights match. Butler just has a stomach bug, but Oram's done something to his hamstring so god knows when he'll be back.

I guess that'll leave the team as:

McCullum
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Elliot
Broom
?
Vettori
Mills
Tuffee
Bond

Really have no clue as to who we'll be playing in Oram's stead. Diremanti? Uggghhhh... Perhaps it'd be best to pick Patel and go in with a bowling heavy lineup, not that bowling has been our major problem in ODI's recently...

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Butler and Oram are out for tonights match. Butler just has a stomach bug, but Oram's done something to his hamstring so god knows when he'll be back.

I guess that'll leave the team as:

McCullum
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Elliot
Broom
?
Vettori
Mills
Tuffee
Bond

Really have no clue as to who we'll be playing in Oram's stead. Diremanti? Uggghhhh... Perhaps it'd be best to pick Patel and go in with a bowling heavy lineup, not that bowling has been our major problem in ODI's recently...
Ugh, that's bad. Our batting looks really weak now - I know Oram was probably unlikely to score many runs anyway but now the order looks even more questionable from number 6 down.

Hey, let's slot Franklin in there... McGlashan? N McCullum? *sigh*

Of the rest of them I'd almost prefer Diremanti play, and that's saying something.

At least Butler missing out is not too much of a blow as only two of him, Tuffey and Mills would have played anyway.

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
Oh FFS Oram.
I hope they are flying in Franklin ASAP just in case. Or a capable batsmen (Styris?)

The question of who will replace him is a tuffey (:ph34r:).
Suppose they could bring in Hopkins to keep :laugh:
Not sure Patel would be a good choice considering the condition of the pitch last game.

DingDong

State Captain
Oh FFS Oram.
Not sure Patel would be a good choice considering the condition of the pitch last game.
Considering how Mendis was handled by the SA side in the last game, it would be be a very unwise move not to pick Patel for this game. He'll run through that middle order with ease IMO.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Franklin just took a 5-fer

But he is also playing FC cricket for the Gloucs.
And its also his first decent haul of the season. The fact that Hamish Marshall has been comfortably outbowling him for the past 5 or 6 rounds says a lot.

His batting's been good though.

Last edited: