Cricket Player Manager
Page 74 of 83 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1242

Thread: *Official* Group B Discussion - South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, England

Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Just saw the highlights on the news, Guptill is such a wonderful looking player. That six down the ground was incredible.
    Some of McCullum's strokes looked like shot's he played a couple of years back, good to see.
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DG Brownlie, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    I honestly don't think McCullum ever puts pressure on the other batsman, Guptill, Taylor and Ryder are all natural strikers. When you see them getting out playing attacking strokes it is how they always play.
    What about during this match? Did you not think McCullum's (and Guptill's) defensive top order batting put a lot of pressure on the rest of the batting lineup? Or at the very least, wasted deliveries, resulting in New Zealand getting a below-par total?
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Replacing him with who?

I'm quite happy to persist with Guptill in tests. Its not like he's outclassed like others were, he gets himself out half the time.
    I would much rather Guptill play one or two more seasons of FC cricket before playing tests.

As for replacements, well there's not too many. I'd probably go back to Redmond myself but hey.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    What about during this match? Did you not think McCullum's (and Guptill's) defensive top order batting put a lot of pressure on the rest of the batting lineup? Or at the very least, wasted deliveries, resulting in New Zealand getting a below-par total?
    No they played very well in that match. If we were ten runs too short it was because of Broom-Cumming-Fulton's failures.

It was a total we should well have defended.
    Direbirds FTW!

Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    No they played very well in that match. If we were ten runs too short it was because of Broom-Cumming-Fulton's failures.

It was a total we should well have defended.
    That's the point though! McCullum and Guptill put New Zealand in a position where the only way they were getting a good total was if Broom/Cumming/Fulton strode to the crease and scored and a strike rate of 100+ from the moment they arrived. That's what I mean by putting pressure on the other batsmen. Taylor, incredibly, managed to do it to some extent.

244 was nowhere near enough either, for me.

Its Moles strategy TBH and I can see how it may work. Basically its play (fastish) Test cricket and then play T20. Should be able to score 8 an over or more if you have wickets in hand.

Reckon 250 was par on that pitch.

Its Moles strategy TBH and I can see how it may work. Basically its play (fastish) Test cricket and then play T20. Should be able to score 8 an over or more if you have wickets in hand.

Reckon 250 was par on that pitch.
    It's a poor strategy tbh. When you have player's like McCullum, Ryder and Guptill up the top of the order why not attack in the first 15?

I would rather see McCullum and Ryder play their shot's and if they get out early, oh well we still have the likes of Guptill and Taylor to come in and score at 4-5 runs an over.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    I am a fan of having McCullum score quickly - I will go so far as to say that a quick 20 at the start of the inning is better than a slow and methodical 30 as it establishes momentum for the whole inning.
    Ideally he will go on and score a quick 40 and not a quick 20.

The only time a slow approach is better is if you don't think you have the batsman after you who will last out 50 overs. And that you personally need to occupy the crease just to make it to 50 overs. In New Zealands case with Broom out of form and Hopkins playing this is obviously a present concern for the team. But in general when we have our full complement of players I think McCullum should trust his team mates and play his shots.

Dunno until we have secured our middle order we may end up with 150 ao all too often.

FBU
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Think I've worked out the problem here - was clearly dropping Onions (played 3 ODI, won all 3) for Sidebottom (lost last 9 times he's played against major nations)
    Won series in WI - no Sidebottom
    Won series in Eng v WI - no Sidebottom
    Played 6 ODIs v Aus with Sidebottom - Lost all
    Dropped Sidebottom for last match - Won
    Played SL and SA no Sidebottom - Won
    Sidebottom back for NZ match - Lost

So will Sidebottom play in the next match?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    With the top four as it is, they should just do what they do best-dominate. If the crap hits the fan, Taylor, Elliott, Franklin, Vettori and our imaginary number six can ressurect the innings.

We have the bowling (full strength) to cover our batting imo, as long as the total isn't too pathetic.
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Don't forget Mills and Butler TBH. Yeah actually if we had a stronger number 6 I reckon I'd be more keen for the slog from the word go strategy.

Can't really think of a way to get Pig in there though. Top 3 looks relatively secure, 4 and 5 are fine. Pig isn't an ideal 6, he'd be better at 3-5 and they are currently our strongest batsman.

Also am I the only one who thinks with Ryder's injury Guptill may be able to establish himself as our long term opener. Would prefer Ryder at 3 or lower personally. Think that his problem with the moving ball (though it isn't a MAJOR problem, just means he gets out after starts) would decrease and he could play longer innings.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Awesome that we won, even if it seems like it was a fairly underwhelming match. Dismayed to read this in the herald:

However, the result in Johannesburg today could come at a cost, with man-of-the-match Grant Elliott left nursing a hand injury.

South African-born Elliott, playing on his former home ground of the Wanderers, was hit on the right thumb while batting as New Zealand chased a target of 147 on a pitch with an uneven bounce.

Moles said Elliott's thumb was swollen, but it was too early to determine whether the player was in doubt for the semifinal on Sunday (NZT).
    Don't know what to say. DoG is right - we are cursed when playing in South Africa.

Na **** it we'll win the trophy with the last 3 remaining McCullum -Vettori - hot physio girl

CT is as good as ours.

England, Pakistan and Australia are all dire and India are as good as gone (while also being dire).

NZ FTW!

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    Awesome that we won, even if it seems like it was a fairly underwhelming match. Dismayed to read this in the herald:

Don't know what to say. DoG is right - we are cursed when playing in South Africa.
    This sucks.

They can't possibly fly anyone else in as cover can they. So means we will go with Hopkins as #6 in the batting order if Elliot can't play.

McCullum
    Redmond
    Guptil
    Taylor
    Broom
    Hopkins

What we should do is negotiate with the other team before the game starts for how many runs Broom and Hopkins wickets are worth. And then make a gentlemans agreement that they will be allowed to score that many and then get out. If we negotiate well and show the other team their List A averages we could get more value out of them that way.
    Sarcasm aside - has Hopkins had enough chances now or should Diamanti be given a run for his country.

Heres hoping Elliot can represent!

Page 74 of 83 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 ... LastLast

Thread Information