Page 73 of 83 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1242

Thread: *Official* Group B Discussion - South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, England

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Arguably is the key word. I'm one of the guys who believes that a fast ODI innings is better than a slow one 100% of the time, but some may feel otherwise.

In any case, all of those (very valid) points that you make also applied to every other ODI innings he's played in the past year or so, and it didn't stop him arsing about then getting out with a strike rate of 60 then.
    I reiterate that he does what is asked of him. Moles wants him to bat slowly and possibly so does Vettori. Today McCullum and Vettori thought that he should try his luck.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Can only shrug. Hopefully he's convinced them he's better when he has a go. I want some 158* (73) in ODI matches.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Can't see it happening unfortunately, not with Ryder out and Broom at 3.

It's not like he actually scores any more runs when he tries to bat defensively though. That's my major beef with it.

Yeah but it isn't about McCullum, its about the team around him. As a senior batsman he has been made to change his natural game to stick around. Reckon after Guptill and Ryder establish themselves, Moles and co. may allow him to swing his arms again.

I'm pretty impressed by McCullum's tenacity and willngness to bat in a way that he clearly finds more difficult. He hasn't been a total failure in it either, just gets out in the 40s too much.

Scores less runs, and scores them more slowly. I can't see any benefits whatsoever, tbh, nor can I see any merit in the tactic.

GGG
    Guptil looks like the man to anchor the innings, to early perhaps but he definitely looks the goods.

International Vice-Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    Guptil looks like the man to anchor the innings, to early perhaps but he definitely looks the goods.
    Now we just need to get him out of the test team for 2-3 years.
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DR Flynn, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Scores less runs, and scores them more slowly. I can't see any benefits whatsoever, tbh, nor can I see any merit in the tactic.
    McCullum is a player who should average around 35 in ODI cricket IMO. There is plenty of merit in the tactic in that it allows the other batsman to establish themselves and build partnerships. Though I doubt I can sway you on this point as you seem to favor striking out in ODI cricket.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Think I've worked out the problem here - was clearly dropping Onions (played 3 ODI, won all 3) for Sidebottom (lost last 9 times he's played against major nations)
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howsie View Post
    Now we just need to get him out of the test team for 2-3 years.
    Replacing him with who?

I'm quite happy to persist with Guptill in tests. Its not like he's outclassed like others were, he gets himself out half the time.
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

He gets himself out 100% of the time...

Anyway glad we're staying in Joburg, think we're more likely to win here than at Centurion.

McCullum is a player who should average around 35 in ODI cricket IMO. There is plenty of merit in the tactic in that it allows the other batsman to establish themselves and build partnerships. Though I doubt I can sway you on this point as you seem to favor striking out in ODI cricket.
    Indeed. I think partnerships are much easier to build when someone is striking out because it means you can take time to play yourself in. Malik and Yousuf against India, for example, scored nothing at all when they arrived at the crease, because bright batting from Nazir and Akmal meant they were on top of the run-rate, and once they were in they could start scoring quickly and build a big partnership. Obviously getting out for 20 isn't ideal, but it was a lot easier for Malik and Yousuf that they got out for 20 (15) as opposed to 20 (30). Which is, realistically, the choice McCullum is faced with.

When McCullum gets an innings off to a slow start, the batsman at the other end (and indeed every batsman to follow) is always thinking "need to get a move on here...". I'm a big fan of the hitting role, if you've got appropriate players. McCullum's shown himself repeatedly to be an excellent hitter.
    Last edited by Uppercut; 29-09-2009 at 05:19 PM.

I honestly don't think McCullum ever puts pressure on the other batsman, Guptill, Taylor and Ryder are all natural strikers. When you see them getting out playing attacking strokes it is how they always play.

Just saw the highlights on the news, Guptill is such a wonderful looking player. That six down the ground was incredible.

Page 73 of 83 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast

Thread Information