• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Group B Discussion - South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, England

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I checked and Mendis got 4 for 47 in his first ODI against Pakistan which I think counts as domination especially since SL was defending 302.

It would be interesting to see Mendis's stats for his first ODI against each country.
I will do the honors for Pakistan...........

Mendis against Pakistan in ODI's

Matches:6
Wickets: 10
BBI: 4/47
Avg: 22.80

Mendis against Pakistan in Tests

Matches: 4
Wickets: 6
BBI: 3/20
Avg: 65.83 Beat that KIWIS!

Mendis against Pak T20's

Matches: 3
Wickets: 3
BBI: 3/23
Avg: 27

Looks like Pak has no problems with Mendis, they play him well. Mainly because in Pakistan at the tapeball level, little kids ball the way Mendis does....they no how to play Mendis because of the tapeball/street cricket....

Lostman

State Captain
Using those stats of the tests played in pakistan is not really fair to mendis or any bowler who played in that series.

Also since when is an average of 22 in ODI's considered bad:ph34r:

Woodster

International Captain
Two of the most exhilarating international players stole the show in the Champions Trophy opener. Dilshan was typically explosive, and Mendis full of the mystery and skill that SA feared he would be. Having never faced upto him before, they looked very short on ideas regarding not only how to play him, but also how to read him.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
After seeing Smith and JP have no answer to Mendis, I am completely confident of Matt Prior, Owais Shah and Paul Collingwood smashing him everywhere on Friday...

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't rule SA out of the tournament by any means. They should still be able to beat NZ and England and make it to the semis and they remain a quality side. But yes if they fail to win the whole thing, you can be sure the c-word will be used liberally.
Just quietly picking England to beat SA in this tournament :ph34r:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
In fact, I think I'll go ahead and make my predictions for this group.

SA beat NZ
SL beat Eng
NZ beat SL
Eng beat SA (bye bye SA)
Eng beat NZ (in the crucial last game NZ choke and England go through to the semis with Sri Lanka)

:-)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Does this count as a you-know-what? Being the number one team in the world, playing at home, declaring yourself ready to be the best, boasting how it's your time, and then losing massively to a subcontinent team that traditionally handle your conditions all that well?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No it doesn't. It counts as being outplayed by a team who isn't too far behind them in quality and experience.

Briony

International Debutant
Maybe it's not a choke because SL looked the more talented team. But SA doesn't help itself with the arrogance of Smith, Steyn and AB all making big predictions. In these sub-continent like conditions maybe the teams from outside the southern hemisphere will have a big say.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'd say its a choke because Smith won the toss and bowled first.

Obviously they haven't been keeping up with Dilshan's recent form and didn't treat Sri Lanka's batting wih enough respect.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
How is it a choke? The pressure didn't get to them and Smith said "oh ****, we'll bowl first."

Athlai

Not Terrible
How is it a choke? The pressure didn't get to them and Smith said "oh ****, we'll bowl first."
Oh and the toss winning wasn't a choke, its the performance that went with it. Bowling first at home in SA against a sub-continent team that has large holes in its lower order when the captain thinks there is something in it for his bowlers is a very very poor way to start your campaign.

Sri Lanka made them pay for it too.

Briony

International Debutant
Smith badly misread the pitch; Kumar didn't. The last five games had been decided by the team batting first. The pitch slowed up and became harder to bat under lights. It made it easier for SL's spinners. The more talented team won but Smith compounded the situation by inserting them on a pitch devoid of grass. It's folly to think that a sub-continent team always struggles on SA pitches. According to them the IPL experience has made them very familiar with SA pitches and they no longer fear them. And SA was the team without any recent form. SL is much more match-hardened. If Smith continues to **** up at the toss it's time for them to look elsewhere. Maybe someone with a bit of grey matter won't go astray.

SA's batsmen struggled with Mendis and their batting looks light on with Boucher coming in so high up.

Briony

International Debutant
I guess Merwe should have batted high up the order
Their batting looks a bit suspect on paper. They have a keeper coming in at #6 followed by a lot of makeshift type batsmen.

Look at Australia. White come in at #8 but can easily go up the order and make a ton. Likewise our fill in keeper plucked out of nowhere can suddently make a ton. SA seems to lack depth in its batting with the replacement for the ageing Gibbs struggling to get bat on ball.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Dont see how a 7-10 of Morkel/VDM/Botha/Parnell is makeshift. Thats the best lower-order in ODI cricket.