Page 63 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* Group B Discussion - South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, England

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Surely it's time for Diamanti to be given a go and the chance to show what he can do on the international stage.

After all, he batted well in his only appearance for the Kiwis so far.

Cricket Web Stats Spider - Scorecard - New Zealand in Australia: 5th match, 2008/09

I would have picked Franklin too when Oram was injuried but what was the point of picking Diamanti in the squad in first place if he's not going to be used when injuries occur?
    Got to be a better option than Hopkins, at least he can clear the ropes

Fellas reckon it works for or against NZ the fact England know they're already through?

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12 View Post
    Fellas reckon it works for or against NZ the fact England know they're already through?
    Really not sure. General wisdom is that they won't care as much, but on the other hand they'll be relaxed and just able to play with no pressure which might be an advantage.

If it's tight I think we'll win - it's just the lingering issue of a big batting collapse that is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    Really not sure. General wisdom is that they won't care as much, but on the other hand they'll be relaxed and just able to play with no pressure which might be an advantage.

If it's tight I think we'll win - it's just the lingering issue of a big batting collapse that is a problem.
    Yeah, I agree..difficult to know with Cricket, as like you say being that little bit relaxed may work to their advantage. If it was a rugby game, I'd generally back the team having to win.

U19 Vice-Captain
    So about what time will the 2nd innings start? I need some sleep so I'll only be able to watch that part.

EDIT: 5am?
    Last edited by DIRK-NANNES; 29-09-2009 at 03:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Surely it's time for Diamanti to be given a go and the chance to show what he can do on the international stage.

After all, he batted well in his only appearance for the Kiwis so far.

Cricket Web Stats Spider - Scorecard - New Zealand in Australia: 5th match, 2008/09

I would have picked Franklin too when Oram was injuried but what was the point of picking Diamanti in the squad in first place if he's not going to be used when injuries occur?
    I wouldn't pay the slightest bit of attention to that one innings he played. Looked like a rabbit in the headlights. Managed a couple of streaky boundaries and maybe slogged one out of the middle of the bat, but in general he looked absolutely clueless.

That said though, he can feel very stiff about being in the original squad selection and then not getting a chance when there's a whole bunch of injuries. As you say, there seems to have been no point whatsoever in selecting him.

Quote Originally Posted by Meridio View Post
    I wouldn't pay the slightest bit of attention to that one innings he played. Looked like a rabbit in the headlights. Managed a couple of streaky boundaries and maybe slogged one out of the middle of the bat, but in general he looked absolutely clueless.

That said though, he can feel very stiff about being in the original squad selection and then not getting a chance when there's a whole bunch of injuries. As you say, there seems to have been no point whatsoever in selecting him.
    Agree with all of that, but it's still six one way, half dozen the next when your talking Hopkins vs. Diamanti

Don't worry South African fans, with England still in the tourney, you guys still have a shot at glory.
    Inappropriate signature.
    --Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by Meridio View Post
    Yeah that's exactly my point.

Whether he looked like a a rabbit or not in his first innings in international cricket, I would have thought he deserves the chance to show what he can do.

GGG
    plus he can bowl a few, I really don't see how they can pick Hopkins over him, maybe a injury as well?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Haha, you Kiwis don't like criticism of your players huh.

I haven't much interest in the stats of ODI batsmen because they're so easily skewed, but Taylor averages 32.75, SR 79 against test nations minus Bangladesh. Compare to, say, the much-maligned Owais Shah, who after a similar number of matches batting in similar positions averages 31.75, SR 79. I think they're really quite similar players.

The difference is that Taylor is younger, so people expect him to improve. Unfortunately, he's been around for a while now and shown no signs that he's getting any better. The other difference is that Kiwis tend to get behind their players whereas the English tend to criticise theirs heavily and unfairly. Net result, Taylor's overrated and Shah's underrated.

But at least he doesn't run his partner out all the time.
    Wait......say again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    From cricinfo:

Aaron Redmond, who's replaced for Daryl Tuffey, won't be playing today, so Martin Guptill will be the likely opener. Also, It appears Eoin Morgan will keep wicket yet again for England.
    So that confirms that, though hasn't confirmed the depressing news that Hopkins might play yet.

Hero Cup Final 93 vs India
    WC 1996 vs WI
    WC 1999 vs AUS
    ICC Trophy 2000 vs India
    ICC Trophy 2002 vs India
    WC 2003 vs Sri Lanka
    ICC Trophy 2004 vs WIN
    ICC Trophy 2006 vs WIN
    WC 2007 vs AUS
    T20 WC 2008 vs India
    T20 WC 2009 vs PAK
    ICC Trophy 2009 vs England

SA have now managed to choke against all major test playing nations.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    They didn't choke on Sunday they were just outclassed
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    They didn't choke on Sunday they were just outclassed
    Nah was a bit of a chokage in the batting apart from Smith.

Page 63 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast

Thread Information