• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Group B Discussion - South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, England

Athlai

Not Terrible
This isn't my opinion as I've never met the guy. But the subject has come up a lot while talking to people who have worked with him. He's generally regarded as an arrogant, self-obsessed dickhead. When I say generally, I mean that not one person has had a contrasting opinion.
What are other players like?

Pretty interested in knowing what Jeets, Franklin, Vettori, Taylor, Ryder and Guppy are like.

Athlai

Not Terrible
McCullum isn't doing so well, lets all do a character assasination!!!

And they say I'm knee jerk.
Eh? It was to do with him pulling a Murali-esque run out again.

And McCullum does seem like a bit of a prick. Not that I really have an opinion on that as I've never met him.

Flem274*

123/5
Eh? It was to do with him pulling a Murali-esque run out again.

And McCullum does seem like a bit of a prick.
On the field sure, but having not actualy met the guy its a bit unfair to start judjing character based on a game of sport. There's plenty of examples where guys that are douches on the pitch are awesome off it.

trapol

U19 12th Man
Who says Broom is out of form? I think he is actually in form. As those expecting more are just deluding themselves.

Sorry Polo but just my thoughts

For the record this is our BEST team

Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Styris
Elliott
McCullum
Franklin
Vettori
Mills
Tuffey
Bond

Athlai

Not Terrible
On the field sure, but having not actualy met the guy its a bit unfair to start judjing character based on a game of sport. There's plenty of examples where guys that are douches on the pitch are awesome off it.
Jimmy's point being that he is reputably a bit douchey off the field as well.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Who says Broom is out of form? I think he is actually in form. As those expecting more are just deluding themselves.

For the record this is our BEST team

Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Styris
Elliott
McCullum
Franklin
Vettori
Mills
Tuffey
Bond
Ryder isn't an opener and probably not a number 3 either. I like the players just not where they are batting.

Flem274*

123/5
Jimmy's point being that he is reputably a bit douchey off the field as well.
He also stated its not his own opinion. I dunno, I'm just not a fan of whispers about someones character after a few bad games unless there's some concrete proof. Sure, lay into the performances as much as you want, but leave the judgement of character until you meet him. Seems to be well liked in the NZ team, has a wife and kid, some people obviously like him.

Flem274*

123/5
McCleanghan's scared you stiff Flem?
Thought that would be brought up.

You can go back and check all you want, I never insulted his character. I insulted his cricketing ability numerous times, but not his character.

Now why don't you go impersonate Trent Boult again? :p

Howsie

International Captain

You can go back and check all you want, I never insulted his character. I insulted his cricketing ability numerous times, but not his character.

I was joking, calm down :p Although you really seemed to hate it when people called for him to be in the team, fair enough though.

The Boulter account. I don't think I once said it was Trent Boult.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member

Thought it was pretty harsh that you were singled out in the "Te Ahu Davis" thread tbh.

Also, hate to go on like a broken record but Hopkins, 2(6) last night............. par for the course really. His batting average hit the lofty heights of 8 but since then reality has intervened and it's heading southwards to where it should be :dry:. Surely Elliott will have recovered by Sunday *I hope*.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Agree on Broom & you can bet ya bottom dollar they (the selectors) will mess up any actual ability he may have by continuously playing him when he's shown nil at International level to date.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I had a theory that since McCullum started opening again in ODIs, and especially since Moles began coaching, he scores a LOT quicker when chasing a target, then when he is batting first.

I went to statsguru, and was proved correct:

Since late 2007, when he started opening again:
Batting first: Ave 34.10, S/R 79.02
Batting second: Ave 42.90, S/R 107.92

Huge difference there, not just in strike-rate, but average also. Which gives some weight to posters saying that he is more successful when he has an attacking mindset.

Since Andy Moles became coach (admittedly a small sample):

Batting first: Ave 32.85, S/R 65.52
Batting second: Ave 25.00, S/R 85.93

HUGE difference in strike-rate there. A strike-rate of 65 opening the innings is unacceptable for any type of batsmen these days.

Both samples are effected by that one innings where he batted injured at no.9. But it's only one innings, so it shouldn't affect the averages too much.

I feel that when batting first, he places responsibility on himself but sometimes digs himself (and the team) into a hole by doing so.

When batting second, he either thinks, "I'm chasing 300, our only chance here is to go after the bowling" or "It's a moderate or low target, I can ease the pressure on the rest of the batting order's required run-rate by going hard in the early overs."

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I had a theory that since McCullum started opening again in ODIs, and especially since Moles began coaching, he scores a LOT quicker when chasing a target, then when he is batting first.

I went to statsguru, and was proved correct:

Since late 2007, when he started opening again:
Batting first: Ave 34.10, S/R 79.02
Batting second: Ave 42.90, S/R 107.92

Huge difference there, not just in strike-rate, but average also. Which gives some weight to posters saying that he is more successful when he has an attacking mindset.

Since Andy Moles became coach (admittedly a small sample):

Batting first: Ave 32.85, S/R 65.52
Batting second: Ave 25.00, S/R 85.93

HUGE difference in strike-rate there. A strike-rate of 65 opening the innings is unacceptable for any type of batsmen these days.

Both samples are effected by that one innings where he batted injured at no.9. But it's only one innings, so it shouldn't affect the averages too much.

I feel that when batting first, he places responsibility on himself but sometimes digs himself (and the team) into a hole by doing so.

When batting second, he either thinks, "I'm chasing 300, our only chance here is to go after the bowling" or "It's a moderate or low target, I can ease the pressure on the rest of the batting order's required run-rate by going hard in the early overs."
An observation you're not alone in noticing. Could always open with him when we're chasing, but down the order when we bat first remembering batting orders are never set in stone, may not be the silliest idea eva:happy:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
This isn't my opinion as I've never met the guy. But the subject has come up a lot while talking to people who have worked with him. He's generally regarded as an arrogant, self-obsessed dickhead. When I say generally, I mean that not one person has had a contrasting opinion.
Might be the people you talk to. McCullum was a bit of a twit when he was really young (18-19), but was a genuinely decent bloke last time I talked to him (which, admittedly, was 7 years ago now but a hell of a lot more recently than any of you on here). Put it this way, him and his then-girlfriend (now wife) gave me a ride from one end of Dunedin to another, despite living in a completely opposite direction.

Polo23

International Debutant
Agree on Broom & you can bet ya bottom dollar they (the selectors) will mess up any actual ability he may have by continuously playing him when he's shown nil at International level to date.
Broom will rightfully continue to play, and will eventually prove you wrong. Mark my words.

Polo23

International Debutant
Might be the people you talk to. McCullum was a bit of a twit when he was really young (18-19), but was a genuinely decent bloke last time I talked to him (which, admittedly, was 7 years ago now but a hell of a lot more recently than any of you on here). Put it this way, him and his then-girlfriend (now wife) gave me a ride from one end of Dunedin to another, despite living in a completely opposite direction.
My mate who knows him says he's a good bloke. He also says Jeets is one of the coolest people he's ever met. Not entirely sure how it's relevant though.