• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Group B Discussion - South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, England

Athlai

Not Terrible
Arguably is the key word. I'm one of the guys who believes that a fast ODI innings is better than a slow one 100% of the time, but some may feel otherwise.

In any case, all of those (very valid) points that you make also applied to every other ODI innings he's played in the past year or so, and it didn't stop him arsing about then getting out with a strike rate of 60 then.
I reiterate that he does what is asked of him. Moles wants him to bat slowly and possibly so does Vettori. Today McCullum and Vettori thought that he should try his luck.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can only shrug. Hopefully he's convinced them he's better when he has a go. I want some 158* (73) in ODI matches.

Uppercut

It's not like he actually scores any more runs when he tries to bat defensively though. That's my major beef with it.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah but it isn't about McCullum, its about the team around him. As a senior batsman he has been made to change his natural game to stick around. Reckon after Guptill and Ryder establish themselves, Moles and co. may allow him to swing his arms again.

I'm pretty impressed by McCullum's tenacity and willngness to bat in a way that he clearly finds more difficult. He hasn't been a total failure in it either, just gets out in the 40s too much.

Uppercut

Scores less runs, and scores them more slowly. I can't see any benefits whatsoever, tbh, nor can I see any merit in the tactic.

GGG

State Captain
Guptil looks like the man to anchor the innings, to early perhaps but he definitely looks the goods.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Scores less runs, and scores them more slowly. I can't see any benefits whatsoever, tbh, nor can I see any merit in the tactic.
McCullum is a player who should average around 35 in ODI cricket IMO. There is plenty of merit in the tactic in that it allows the other batsman to establish themselves and build partnerships. Though I doubt I can sway you on this point as you seem to favor striking out in ODI cricket.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Think I've worked out the problem here - was clearly dropping Onions (played 3 ODI, won all 3) for Sidebottom (lost last 9 times he's played against major nations)

Athlai

Not Terrible
He gets himself out 100% of the time...

Anyway glad we're staying in Joburg, think we're more likely to win here than at Centurion.

Uppercut

McCullum is a player who should average around 35 in ODI cricket IMO. There is plenty of merit in the tactic in that it allows the other batsman to establish themselves and build partnerships. Though I doubt I can sway you on this point as you seem to favor striking out in ODI cricket.
Indeed. I think partnerships are much easier to build when someone is striking out because it means you can take time to play yourself in. Malik and Yousuf against India, for example, scored nothing at all when they arrived at the crease, because bright batting from Nazir and Akmal meant they were on top of the run-rate, and once they were in they could start scoring quickly and build a big partnership. Obviously getting out for 20 isn't ideal, but it was a lot easier for Malik and Yousuf that they got out for 20 (15) as opposed to 20 (30). Which is, realistically, the choice McCullum is faced with.

When McCullum gets an innings off to a slow start, the batsman at the other end (and indeed every batsman to follow) is always thinking "need to get a move on here...". I'm a big fan of the hitting role, if you've got appropriate players. McCullum's shown himself repeatedly to be an excellent hitter.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
I honestly don't think McCullum ever puts pressure on the other batsman, Guptill, Taylor and Ryder are all natural strikers. When you see them getting out playing attacking strokes it is how they always play.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Just saw the highlights on the news, Guptill is such a wonderful looking player. That six down the ground was incredible.

Howsie

International Captain
Just saw the highlights on the news, Guptill is such a wonderful looking player. That six down the ground was incredible.
Some of McCullum's strokes looked like shot's he played a couple of years back, good to see.

Uppercut

I honestly don't think McCullum ever puts pressure on the other batsman, Guptill, Taylor and Ryder are all natural strikers. When you see them getting out playing attacking strokes it is how they always play.
What about during this match? Did you not think McCullum's (and Guptill's) defensive top order batting put a lot of pressure on the rest of the batting lineup? Or at the very least, wasted deliveries, resulting in New Zealand getting a below-par total?

Howsie

International Captain
Replacing him with who?

I'm quite happy to persist with Guptill in tests. Its not like he's outclassed like others were, he gets himself out half the time.
I would much rather Guptill play one or two more seasons of FC cricket before playing tests.

As for replacements, well there's not too many. I'd probably go back to Redmond myself but hey.

Athlai

Not Terrible
What about during this match? Did you not think McCullum's (and Guptill's) defensive top order batting put a lot of pressure on the rest of the batting lineup? Or at the very least, wasted deliveries, resulting in New Zealand getting a below-par total?
No they played very well in that match. If we were ten runs too short it was because of Broom-Cumming-Fulton's failures.

It was a total we should well have defended.

Uppercut

No they played very well in that match. If we were ten runs too short it was because of Broom-Cumming-Fulton's failures.

It was a total we should well have defended.
That's the point though! McCullum and Guptill put New Zealand in a position where the only way they were getting a good total was if Broom/Cumming/Fulton strode to the crease and scored and a strike rate of 100+ from the moment they arrived. That's what I mean by putting pressure on the other batsmen. Taylor, incredibly, managed to do it to some extent.

244 was nowhere near enough either, for me.