Page 55 of 83 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* Group B Discussion - South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, England

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    I reckon Sri Lanka would be near unbeatable at the current Centurion pitch, probably same with India. At Joburg though, I'm backing us to take them down.

Sri Lanka were badly over hyped by some members here, as soon as the pitch takes some of the edge off their spinners and you get an early wicket or two they come right down to earth. (Still a great lineup but a few members were saying they'd take it out easy and beat Eng and NZ easy).

So if NZ beat SL this group will come down to the wire.

SA vs. Eng and NZ vs. Eng would become quarter finals.
    i 'm not from those members

CONGRATULATIONS TO ENGLAND for a GOOD WIN over Srilanka, now Group B has suddenly spiced up

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Yay, Franky Franklin!

I got the impression they still think Oram is a chance to be fit so I guess we'll see what happens. Franklin's lower order hitting was exactly what was required in the match against South Africa once we were 5 down. Though if he plays I can really see Dilshan taking a liking to his bowling.

The batting is still soft in the lower middle order but immeasurably better than having ****kins there.

This group always looked like being interesting (a lot more interesting than Group A with 3 teams) so it's awesome that England beat Sri Lanka, for interest sake. Really couldn't pick who will qualify from this group now, but funnily enough England are the only team that can afford to lose a match.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    Yay, Franky Franklin!

I got the impression they still think Oram is a chance to be fit so I guess we'll see what happens.
    As far as I know, Oram has been sent back home and Franklin has taken his spot in the squad.

The batting is still soft in the lower middle order but immeasurably better than having ****kins there.

This group always looked like being interesting (a lot more interesting than Group A with 3 teams) so it's awesome that England beat Sri Lanka, for interest sake. Really couldn't pick who will qualify from this group now, but funnily enough England are the only team that can afford to lose a match.
    Well they could still go out losing one match, this would involve NZ being the whipping boys and the other teams beating each other resulting in 3 teams on 2 wins. If England beat SA they're definitely through.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DIRK-NANNES View Post
    As far as I know, Oram has been sent back home and Franklin has taken his spot in the squad.
    Ok, that clears that up then. Although I'm chuffed that Franky Frank is there (just because) I'm sure we will miss Oram's bowling. Will be crossing all fingers and toes if Franklin is bowling in any sort of pressure situation. Have some confidence in his batting though.

Edit: I probably shouldn't refer to a certain player like that - it's the selectors fault, not his. But that particular selection and this flawed approach to constructing the team has ****ed me off more than any other in recent memory.
    Last edited by straw man; 26-09-2009 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Well they could still go out losing one match, this would involve NZ being the whipping boys and the other teams beating each other resulting in 3 teams on 2 wins. If England beat SA they're definitely through.
    Thought briefly of that idea and found it very unpalatable! Don't have a great deal of confidence in us beating SL so that part possible, but England beating SA seems less likely.

Likewise if lightning struck three times and England were undefeated , and NZ beat Sri Lanka, then one of SA, NZ & SL would go through with only one measly win.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Well they could still go out losing one match, this would involve NZ being the whipping boys and the other teams beating each other resulting in 3 teams on 2 wins. .
    I see this as being the most likely scenario although the NZ game against England could be close.

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    I stick to my belief SL and SA will be through...............SA will beat Eng easily..........and SL will over run NZ.................
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    SL have an awesome team. So much to offer in terms of batting and bowling. They could well win this competition.
    Mystic Zaremba on the money as ever

SA attack getting pummelled again.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Next game is a must win for us even on NRR. Should be interesting if we win we go through.
    If South Africa lose here then they are almost certainly out. If England lose two in a row they are out. If all the games are England thrashing their opposition Sri Lanka may slide through.

Really really interesting championship so far, the finals could still be almost anyone. Only WI are definitely out.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    Actually looking at the points table Sri Lanka's has a half-decent chance of moving through. Their NRR is already above New Zealand so if the latter lose to England they will be ahead. And SL's NRR is only slightly behind SA so a moderate loss by the latter would leave SL ahead.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissector View Post
    Actually looking at the points table Sri Lanka's has a half-decent chance of moving through. Their NRR is already above New Zealand so if the latter lose to England they will be ahead. And SL's NRR is only slightly behind SA so a moderate loss by the latter would leave SL ahead.
    England winning four ODIs in a row is impossible though.

Page 55 of 83 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread Information