• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Group B Discussion - South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, England

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good win by NZ, but really can't see them winning the semi without Ryder, Oram & Tuffey....too many average players in the side to hide against a top class team like Pakistan, India or Aust.

That said, nice to see NZ now have a 35-29 win loss record against England in ODI's

GGG

State Captain
Good win by NZ, but really can't see them winning the semi without Ryder, Oram & Tuffey....too many average players in the side to hide against a top class team like Pakistan, India or Aust.

That said, nice to see NZ now have a 35-29 win loss record against England in ODI's
I think Butler and Franklin are pretty good replacements, on form Franklin blows Oram away, its Ryder that is the massive loss.

Zinzan

I think Butler and Franklin are pretty good replacements, on form Franklin blows Oram away, its Ryder that is the massive loss.
Franklin has better form with the bat yes, but Oram's always been a better ODI bowler than Franklin imo. Ideally I'd have both in this current side instead of Hoplesskins. I rate Tuffey slightly ahead of Butler because of his experience & craftiness. You're right though that Ryder is the major loss.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Robert Croft - "some of the players [in the New Zealand ODI team] wouldn't make it into county teams".

Shut up.

Flem274*

123/5
Haha yes they would. Diamanti would make a perfect country "allrounder."

Not that it matters, we still won so Croft can bitch all he likes. :p

Good performance by the lads, and stop hating Colly everyone, he's awesome.

GGG

State Captain
Robert Croft - "some of the players [in the New Zealand ODI team] wouldn't make it into county teams".

Shut up.
I am starting to get a bit sick of this "punch above our weight" mentality, McCullum, Ryder, Guptil, Vettori, Mills, Taylor and Bond are all class players.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't watch but happy we won.
Congrats to the lads. I totally thought we were going to be blown out of this tourney as would England.

Excellent tactics by the NZ openers according to cricinfo of the guys playing their shots. McCullum all is forgiven.

I think winning this way - blowing England out for a low total was the only way we were going to win. If they scored 250 there was no way we were going to chase it without Ryder.

Nice move by Vettori calling Collingwood back.

Burgey

Shut up.
Good old Crofty the Conjurer. Was considered a complete joke over here when he played for England, and it seems nothing's changed.

Uppercut

Just came and saw the scorecard- what's going on with McCullum? Repeatedly plays the dull innings when fireworks are his strength, then in the one situation where 48 off 80 balls would arguably be more valuable, he hits out. Strange tstl.

Maybe it's a tactic to target the English bowlers. He's absolutely tortured Anderson in the past.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Can't believe Broad's wicket-tally, he's been way below his best in the tournament so far. And I won't hear it that wickets don't matter because it's ODIs, because let's face it in all three of our matches wickets have been key. They are what won us the previous two games, and gave us a sniff here.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Just came and saw the scorecard- what's going on with McCullum? Repeatedly plays the dull innings when fireworks are his strength, then in the one situation where 48 off 80 balls would arguably be more valuable, he hits out. Strange tstl.

Maybe it's a tactic to target the English bowlers. He's absolutely tortured Anderson in the past.
What are you talking about man? If he played slow the side would have fell apart around him, with the likes of Broom and Hopkins to come on this pitch, hitting out was the best option.

Clearly he thought a quick 40-50 would take away all the pressure from our middle-lower order. He was right too.

Uppercut

What are you talking about man? If he played slow the side would have fell apart around him, with the likes of Broom and Hopkins to come on this pitch, hitting out was the best option.

Clearly he thought a quick 40-50 would take away all the pressure from our middle-lower order. He was right too.
Arguably is the key word. I'm one of the guys who believes that a fast ODI innings is better than a slow one 100% of the time, but some may feel otherwise.

In any case, all of those (very valid) points that you make also applied to every other ODI innings he's played in the past year or so, and it didn't stop him arsing about then getting out with a strike rate of 60 then.