• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Group B Discussion - South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, England

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, SA are out and the kiwis won. Basically, England are the best team in the world, that's the easiest way to calculate the whole shenanigans

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think it's the kind of performance we're capable of, it's just I don't think we quite have the consistency to string 4 or 5 together like that to win the thing.

Nice to qualify with a game to spare tho. Reckon you'd have got pretty long odds on that before the CT started.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Can Davies only play if we rule Prior out of the rest of the tournament?

Rest Jimmeh, but I don't see why Onions is playing anyway. Sidey & Bresnan in, guess give Rashid a game as well.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Onions hasn't been good at all. He bowls at a decent spot but doesn't have the pace to threaten the batsmen. He has been easy pickings.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Marto,
Parra are my NRL team. They were 14th of 16 with 10 rounds to go, won 10 of 11 into the finals, scraped into 8th and have beaten 1st, 3rd and 2nd and are now in the grand final vs 4th.
Roll on.

SilentOne

U19 12th Man
Marto,
Parra are my NRL team. They were 14th of 16 with 10 rounds to go, won 10 of 11 into the finals, scraped into 8th and have beaten 1st, 3rd and 2nd and are now in the grand final vs 4th.
Roll on.
I hope Parra win, I put $50 on them when the were paying about $100 at the TAB.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lol'n at South Africa. Hard to believe it's the same England team that lost 6 straight earlier in the month though. Hoping NZ get through with them, will be a better match-up for Australia should they also get through.

Uppercut

Onions hasn't been good at all. He bowls at a decent spot but doesn't have the pace to threaten the batsmen. He has been easy pickings.
Swings it, tbh.

He's really a pure wicket-taker. At international level he's somewhat bizarrely got a reputation as an honest trundler with accuracy but not much else. Truth is, he rips teams apart more ruthlessly than any other bowler on the county circuit, but is somewhat inconsistent and can often go for runs because of his full length.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Pronounced swing rarely happens and it hardly takes wickets much like batsmen getting out to bouncers, particularly for ODI cricket. It is not England every where where the ball swings a lot both ways. He can prove costly in games away from home.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Yeah, that's why he's so much better in tests.

He can improve though. There's a massive amount of players you'd think of as almost pure swing bowlers in ODI cricket at the moment- Anderson, Sidebottom, Bracken, Gul, RP Singh, Kumar, Steyn, Parnell, Franklin, Mills, Kulasekara... it's all about finding a way to be effective when the ball isn't swinging. Which at the moment, whatever they've done to the white ball, is about 95+% of the time.

brackenNY

School Boy/Girl Captain
Group A semifinalists (Pakistan and Australia/India, probably) will love their chances against England and New Zealand.

New Zealand will be crushed by either side, let's face it, and England will return to its usual dire self.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Group A semifinalists (Pakistan and Australia/India, probably) will love their chances against England and New Zealand.

New Zealand will be crushed by either side, let's face it, and England will return to its usual dire self.
Let me guess: NZ manage to qualify for the semis and come up against....Pakistan. Again.8-)