• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Group B Discussion - South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, England

Athlai

Not Terrible
Next game is a must win for us even on NRR. Should be interesting if we win we go through.
If South Africa lose here then they are almost certainly out. If England lose two in a row they are out. If all the games are England thrashing their opposition Sri Lanka may slide through.

Really really interesting championship so far, the finals could still be almost anyone. Only WI are definitely out.

Dissector

International Debutant
Actually looking at the points table Sri Lanka's has a half-decent chance of moving through. Their NRR is already above New Zealand so if the latter lose to England they will be ahead. And SL's NRR is only slightly behind SA so a moderate loss by the latter would leave SL ahead.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Actually looking at the points table Sri Lanka's has a half-decent chance of moving through. Their NRR is already above New Zealand so if the latter lose to England they will be ahead. And SL's NRR is only slightly behind SA so a moderate loss by the latter would leave SL ahead.
England winning four ODIs in a row is impossible though. :ph34r:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Next game is a must win for us even on NRR. Should be interesting if we win we go through.
If South Africa lose here then they are almost certainly out. If England lose two in a row they are out. If all the games are England thrashing their opposition Sri Lanka may slide through.

Really really interesting championship so far, the finals could still be almost anyone. Only WI are definitely out.
The way I see it NRR won't mean diddly-swat for NZ if they do beat England in the next

game. If they do they'll make the semi regardless of whether SA or Eng win tonight. If SA

win tonight & NZ beat England only SA & NZ will be on 4 points, whereas if Eng beat SA

& NZ beat England, only NZ & Eng will be on 4 points, remembering SL are stuck on 2

points.

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
Redmond is flying in from the Otago training squad in Oz to take the place of big Jess.

Dunno how I feel about that, I suppose it means that Guptill is seen as the long term no. 3 and they don't want him to open.

GGG

State Captain
Redmond is flying in from the Otago training squad in Oz to take the place of big Jess.

Dunno how I feel about that, I suppose it means that Guptill is seen as the long term no. 3 and they don't want him to open.
Would rather play Brendon Diamanti TBH or another bowler if Elliot can't bowl aka N McCullum.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Can anyone explain to me whether England are now definitely through? And if not, what (in simple terms) are the permutations from an England perspective?

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
Would rather play Brendon Diamanti TBH or another bowler if Elliot can't bowl aka N McCullum.
Diamanti is poos though and we can't just fly in another bowler without another injury.
It is possible to play Butler though, I imagine he's recovered from his tummy bug, but 5 frontline seamers is overkill.

Can anyone explain to me whether England are now definitely through? And if not, what (in simple terms) are the permutations from an England perspective?
Yeah they are :happy:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Yes we are definitely through. If we win on tuesday, SL are through with us, if not NZ are through with us

GGG

State Captain
Diamanti is poos though and we can't just fly in another bowler without another injury.
It is possible to play Butler though, I imagine he's recovered from his tummy bug, but 5 frontline seamers is overkill.

Yeah they are :happy:
I forgot about Butler, I dont like us only having only 5 bowling options though.

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
I forgot about Butler, I dont like us only having only 5 bowling options though.
Elliott? Redmond can bowl leggies too, he could be useful in the middle overs bowling in tandem with Vettori.
Someone mentioned Elliott had a bung knee for awhile, but hopefully that's fine for the next game.

EDIT:
Ryder is my ****ing idol.
Laughed when he smashed the plastic chair as he walked off. Batted in agony for 20 overs, but still pissed as hell that he got out. Love it.
Apparently Ryder had to appear before some 'conduct court' and has been fined for this. He should be rewarded :laugh:

Last edited:

GGG

State Captain
Elliott? Redmond can bowl leggies too, he could be useful in the middle overs bowling in tandem with Vettori.
Someone mentioned Elliott had a bung knee for awhile, but hopefully that's fine for the next game.

EDIT:

Apparently Ryder had to appear before some 'conduct court' and has been fined for this. He should be rewarded :laugh:
Commentators where saying he has a bung knee.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well I hope we finish top of the group (would imagine it's pretty likely) as that would mean a Saturday semi-final. Get on the beers with the lads, watch England romp to the final. Sweet as.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So does this mean SA is out? And did NZ beat SL?

England showing that playing cricket in the lead up to a tourney, even if it's completely ****house cricket, is better than not playing at all.