Page 35 of 83 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* Group B Discussion - South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, England

International Vice-Captain Raghav's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    I do believe that Moles said his strategy was for his guys to be something like 170/1-2 at the 35/40th over and launch. McCullum was told to build an innings.
    Unfortunately, he is not the right guy to do that...

He is so ****ting in the middle overs if he gets through the first 10-15 overs
    Supported Indian Cricket from 1992-2000 (till the match fixing scandal)

Long Live Test Cricket

I do believe that Moles said his strategy was for his guys to be something like 170/1-2 at the 35/40th over and launch. McCullum was told to build an innings.
    Unlike some, I do think there's some merit in that strategy if you have the right batsmen to do it and a good bowling attack, but it's completely senseless to come up with that gameplan and then open the batting with McCullum and Ryder.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Regarding Diamanti not getting picked last night. I think it must have been a situation of Daniel not rating Diamanti's batting ability. Diamanti was obviously picked by the selectors but Dan is sending a signal that he wouldn't have picked Diamanti for this tour had he been in charge. Perhaps Dan will bring back Styris who knows for future series.
    I too get the impression something along these lines is happening. The captain and coach don't get the squad they want and so when they're on tour they won't play certain guys, or if they are absolutely forced to by injury then they don't give that guy any responsibility. Result: No-one wins and the team is weakened.

Can't remember if Vettori and Moles were on the selection panel when this CT squad was picked - anyone else?

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    I don't think our batting line up or batting order matches this strategy.

I have always had a bad feeling about Moles. And now he is a selector.

From Wikipedia
    After retiring as a player, he started his coaching career at Griqualand West, staying there for five years. In 2003 he was appointed as the national coach of Kenya, but he had a turbulent time due to infighting between the Kenyan Cricket Board and players which led him to quit the job at the end of 2004. He took over as the coach of Scotland in January 2005 but quit the job after less than a year as a result of disagreements with some of the senior players. He was appointed coach of Northern Districts in New Zealand domestic cricket for the 2006-07 season, and in his first season helped guide the team to the State Championship. He is currently contracted as coach of Northern Districts until the end of the 2008-09 season.
    On November 25, 2008 New Zealand Cricket announced that Andy Moles had been appointed to succeed John Bracewell as the New Zealand Coach.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Yeah fast starts from Ryder and McCullum are much better than slow building for a team who can't even do that in Tests
    Direbirds FTW!

Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    Can't remember if Vettori and Moles were on the selection panel when this CT squad was picked - anyone else?
    I looked it up and on August 23rd it was announced that Dan was going to be a selector - and on the same day Aug 23 they announced the final CT trophy with the addition of Diamanti and Tuffey. So it is unclear if he got say over those decisions.
    I am sure they would have run it past him prior to announcing it but whether he had the chance for real input is unknown.

Moles seemed to support the decision though at the time
    "“Brendon is a strong lower order striker and has good control as a medium pace bowler – he will provide valuable back-up for the squad,” said Moles."
    Last edited by Hurricane; 25-09-2009 at 02:02 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Unlike some, I do think there's some merit in that strategy if you have the right batsmen to do it and a good bowling attack, but it's completely senseless to come up with that gameplan and then open the batting with McCullum and Ryder.
    It's a bit of an antiquated plan for me, still present only because the people coaching the game now are the people who were playing the game when that was how ODI cricket was played. The continued use of it by Scotland when teams like UAE, Afghanistan and Canada were successfully attacking early on was the single biggest contributor to their failure to qualify for the 2011 World Cup, almost losing ODI status completely in the process.

In any case, this was anything but the time for New Zealand to be playing with it. Their bottom order of Hopkins (where's McGlashan btw?), Mills, Vettori, Tuffey, Bond was so horrendously ill-suited to late hitting it was embarrassing, while anyone who's watched South Africa once in the past six months will tell you Steyn and Parnell's death bowling has been unplayable. Hitters like McCullum and Ryder were forced to try to build an innings, Taylor was forced to come in against spin and fail miserably to rotate the strike, Elliot- the best player in the side at taking ones and twos during the middle overs- was forced to hit out so Taylor could try to bat through, and the pressure Taylor's turgid strike rate put on a bunch of bowlers and defensive batsmen to hit ten per over off Dale Steyn from the moment they arrived at the crease inevitably caused a swift collapse.

The whole innings was a horrendous tactical balls-up for mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Woooo, thank you Jesus, Sir James of Franklin is being shipped in

Franklin called up to replace Oram | Cricket News | ICC Champions Trophy, 2009 | Cricinfo.com

EDIT: Heh, he's been "retired hurt" in that Gloucs vs Kent game.
    Last edited by DIRK-NANNES; 25-09-2009 at 04:48 AM.

Franklin, who will fly to South Africa tonight, retires on 104 not out in Gloucestershire’s overnight 439 for five, in reply to Kent’s 264 all out in which he took 5-30.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Raghav View Post
    Franklin, who will fly to South Africa tonight, retires on 104 not out in Gloucestershire’s overnight 439 for five, in reply to Kent’s 264 all out in which he took 5-30.
    You sound like a Cricinfo bulletin

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    If we're going to wantto be 170/2 after 35 overs, then I think we should can the opening partnership. Seriously, just let them play naturally and see what happens. Guptill and Taylor will benefit from being told to calm down occassionally but McCullum and Ryder are opening for a reason. You want slower scoring, chuck in Watling and How.
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

England need a 100 run headstart.
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

today's pitch is a green top?

Quote Originally Posted by Naumaan View Post
    today's pitch is a green top?
    England seamers can get on some bouncers to Dilshan & jaya.. Love to watch it

My Predictions, Srilanka allout under 150
    dilshan wont make twenty, jayasuria will have some edgy boundries
    sangakara will edge one of Onions

Page 35 of 83 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread Information