• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Group B Discussion - South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, England

Athlai

Not Terrible
Parnell is promising but to date has only been effective when there's been swing about. For all his erratic play I think that Albertus's brother was unlucky not to be selected in the squad, at least ahead of Ntini.
Reminds me of his Kiwi counterpart.

Dilshan is starting to get his motor going here.

Briony

International Debutant
SA attack hardly looking potent. You wonder why he sent them into bat. Conditions are meant to be more sub-continent like anyway.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Dilshan carrying on from where he left off in England. Mind you, the Saffies seem intent in providing him with plenty of short and wide stuff.

Briony

International Debutant
Yes there's a lot of pie chucking going on. The IPL experience would have helped a lot of these sub-continent players adjust to SA conditions. If SA does lose this after sending them in and not being able to chase, expect Smith to rightly get a pounding from the fans and home press. Their #1 ranking is at stake and they are desperately trying to shake off the choking tag.

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
I reckon SA or Sri Lanka have the most chance of winning the tournament.
New Zealand could be the surprise as they have beaten Sri Lanka in their last 2 T20 games ( altho they lost the other games).

England, not really in any shape. Important injuries.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
SL have an awesome team. So much to offer in terms of batting and bowling. They could well win this competition.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Don't wanna open up old wounds, but Jeez Botha's action's horrible, isn't it? These are supposedly his orthodox offies too now.

& a no-ball. Shocker for a spinner.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Always thought it interesting how much Dilshan has transformed in recent times, T20 seemed to be a big part of it.

I mean he used to be merely a reasonable quality middle order player.

Faisal1985

You cant take WI out of the equation as well...Do you know that WI are the only team to go to the Finals of Mini World Cup thrice..... Surprises are common in a short format games
This is not that team which went to those finals. Last time they one they had their 1st choice team. There current team can get a beating from even an ICL team.

Briony

International Debutant
Windies have no hope, there are only effectively three teams in Group A. Group B could be interesting with SL arguably the strongest on paper and the other three fighting it out. NZ could be the dark horses to join them. SA would have to improve its bowling to be a chance.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
yeah completely agree with you....

But, If you have a strong talented unit with a strong will to perform and excel, they can be really dangerous...
Yeah, but they don't.

It's not second string; it's about fifth string in some areas. It's not like they have great depth or are even really that good at full strength; they really have no hope at all.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Windies have no hope, there are only effectively three teams in Group A. Group B could be interesting with SL arguably the strongest on paper and the other three fighting it out. NZ could be the dark horses to join them. SA would have to improve its bowling to be a chance.
Meh.

Dark horses usually have some quality, an x factor such as a genius player. In this case England and New Zealand are simply rubbish. It'll be a surprise if South Africa and Sri Lanka don't walk this group, although of course it still only takes one unlikely game.

Sri Lanka have been kinda elevated from dark horses because international teams generally are in such a weak phase.

Faisal1985

I personally find Group A a bit more interesting because of the X factor that Pakistan presents rather then WI. I would have liked to see Bangladesh rather then WI in the CT. India and Australia are hot fav. for Group A, but if Pak's batting does click then it will be a very close contest.

However, at the moment Dilshan is taking apart the so called "A team with hardly any weakness" ....Just great to see a desi team doing so well in foreign conditions....GO LANKANS!

Briony

International Debutant
I wonder if simple Simon Steyn is rethinking his arrogant words. Good to see the FIGJAM team of world cricket having a bit of a reality check here. Their weakness would appear to at least be with their seamers. Their batsmen will have to pull their collective fingers out tonight to chase what looks like a mountain of runs.

Faisal1985

I wonder if simple Simon Steyn is rethinking his arrogant words. Good to see the FIGJAM team of world cricket having a bit of a reality check here. Their weakness would appear to at least be with their seamers. Their batsmen will have to pull their collective fingers out tonight to chase what looks like a mountain of runs.

With the 3 M's, and #1 ranked seamer in their side i smell danger for SA......

2 very important wickets gone.....both rather soft dismissals... Dilshan and Sanga has put SL in a very good position....now Mahela has to play a very important role and play till the end......

Last edited: