• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Group B Discussion - South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, England

stumpski

International Captain
Or Jayawardane as he had on the back of his shirt the other day (and possibly today, didn't see). I wish he'd decide what he wants. I realise it's a transliteration but there must be a Latin spelling he's happy with.

We have Muralidaran here too. Although I gather he prefers that spelling.

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
India would. Sri Lanka and Pakistan are suspect though. India have shown they can bat on bouncier wickets in tests and ODIs on par with non-subcontinent teams regularly over the past 2-3 years.
i never saw india doind great on bouncy plus grassy track
Bounce can be managed, grass on the pitch can be managed but both of them together, i don't think can be managed by Sub continent sides
India are lucky that they don't play a single game here

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Combination of excellent bowling & the fact that SL are more suspect than most of the top teams when conditions are tough like this
It's not even a question of technique though. They just don't seem to have realised that they need to spend a long time at the crease before they can go after the bowling like they can on a road in Colombo. Credit to Anderson and Onions, yes, but two wickets have come from very loose drives outside offstump. I wouldn't expect them to have bowled any differently given the conditions.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
i never saw india doind great on bouncy plus grassy track
Bounce can be managed, grass on the pitch can be managed but both of them together, i don't think can be managed by Sub continent sides
India are lucky that they don't play a single game here
England, Perth (Australia), VB Series are ones that flash to my mind instantly. You haven't seen a lot of India in recent times. India has performed as good as non-subcontinent teams abroad over the past 2-3 years. It is stupid to write them off but do what you want to.

Last edited:

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
We have Muralidaran here too. Although I gather he prefers that spelling.
Yeah he's been a bit more consistent. It's been spelt that way since the 2003 World Cup IIRC, maybe from even earlier. Plus it seems only confined to his shirt - the British press still refer to him as Muralitharan. Jayawardene's situation is more confusing.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's not even a question of technique though. They just don't seem to have realised that they need to spend a long time at the crease before they can go after the bowling like they can on a road in Colombo. Credit to Anderson and Onions, yes, but two wickets have come from very loose drives outside offstump. I wouldn't expect them to have bowled any differently given the conditions.
We're effectively saying the same thing :happy:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
where did they perform??????????????
See my post again.........................................................................................................................................................................................................

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
See my post again.........................................................................................................................................................................................................
i wish this whole tournament would have been played in Wanderers
& then would have been great to see India winning
or any other team for that reason

stumpski

International Captain
Yeah he's been a bit more consistent. It's been spelt that way since the 2003 World Cup IIRC, maybe from even earlier. Plus it seems only confined to his shirt - the British press still refer to him as Muralitharan. Jayawardene's situation is more confusing.

Haven't got used to Younus Khan either itbt.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
and India wont win the tournament in all likelihood. With Sehwag and Yuvraj missing and Raina suspect against the short ball on any surface, it is unlikely they will barring a stupendous performance by Tendulkar aided by Dhoni.

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
Dont expect us to fetch the list for you - you can check the records in England and in Australia. Period!
i don't want to be involved in any fight but u can do well specially when u pay to get pitches which are suited to you lol

stumpski

International Captain
Nope. The Bangladeshi names are even more of a minefield.
Going slightly OT here and I know this has been discussed elesewhere - but Waqar Younis went the other way. The 1990 Wisden lists him in the Pakistan domestic averages as 'Waqar Younus.' Think he may still have been when he first signed for Surrey.