• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Group B Discussion - South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, England

GGG

State Captain
Is there anyone on the planet who really thinks Broom is better than Styris?

If so, that person is ******** btw
Nope and its about time we took a hard look at the selection panel, this sort of crap has been going on for a while now, well since Glenn Turner has been involved.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
One really has to question why Diamanti is in the squad. I mean, I know we all did so originally anyway.. but if he's not going to play in these circumstances, when is he going to play? If New Zealand had Styris or Fulton available today they would've played one of them, I'm sure of it, and if Diamanti isn't going to play when Oram's injured, I really can't imagine a situation where he would actually play. He's just a giant waste of a spot, not only in his lack of cricketing competence but in the fact that he's not going to play anyway.

thierry henry

International Coach
Was thinking the same thing, Broom really needs to step things up if he wants to stay in the team.
Does he really though?

Broom has done nothing, ever, and Styris never did nearly enough wrong.

Clearly the selectors (and a good deal of the fans as well, given the pro-Broom anti-Styris sentiment last time I raised the issue) have simply decided that Styris is too old, and given his supposed slight decline the logic seems to be that the "progressive" move is to try any random under-30 instead.

Meridio

International Regular
Um yeah, so why not bat Vettori at seven? Then you can add someone useful (Patel, Diamanti?) to the team, rather than someone who adds precious little.
The words "useful" and "Diamanti" should never be used in the same sentence together. Unless you add the crucial "not" qualifier.

Athlai

Not Terrible
One really has to question why Diamanti is in the squad. I mean, I know we all did so originally anyway.. but if he's not going to play in these circumstances, when is he going to play? If New Zealand had Styris or Fulton available today they would've played one of them, I'm sure of it, and if Diamanti isn't going to play when Oram's injured, I really can't imagine a situation where he would actually play. He's just a giant waste of a spot, not only in his lack of cricketing competence but in the fact that he's not going to play anyway.
Franklin
5/30
:ph34r:

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Hopkins 13 (13)

Vettori, Mills, Tuffey, Bond 5 (11)
Really don't want to sound like Richard and his pretty nihilistic view of selections, but that doesn't make it a correct decision... NZ now have only one (admittedly, fairly class) spinner on a pitch than even van der Merwe looks like he's turned it sideways on.

I've only just switched on BTW, didn't see Hopkins bat, likes seems a bit of a strange selection to me.

Meridio

International Regular
That's the thing though - seems everyone thought it was a terrible squad selection except the selectors themselves.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Does he really though?

Broom has done nothing, ever, and Styris never did nearly enough wrong.

Clearly the selectors (and a good deal of the fans as well, given the pro-Broom anti-Styris sentiment last time I raised the issue) have simply decided that Styris is too old, and given his supposed slight decline the logic seems to be that the "progressive" move is to try any random under-30 instead.
Styris has lost a bit. Enough for Elliott to have taken the number 5 spot from him. Enough for him not to get into the squad as cover? No he is still a far better batsman than most of our guys and if we lose one of our guys like we did today then he would be ideal to be thrown up the order (and Broom demoted). Instead we put Hopkins out there for no reason at all.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Really don't want to sound like Richard and his pretty nihilistic view of selections, but that doesn't make it a correct decision... NZ now have only one (admittedly, fairly class) spinner on a pitch than even van der Merwe looks like he's turned it sideways on.

I've only just switched on BTW, didn't see Hopkins bat, likes seems a bit of a strange selection to me.
No it wasn't a great decision but considering the squad we chose there wasn't too much else they could do.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Enjoyed Taylor's innings, obviously difficult conditions. Very very disappointed in how Guppy and McCullum gave it away.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That's the thing though - seems everyone thought it was a terrible squad selection except the selectors themselves.
Yeah, I know, but today's decision makes it even worse really. If they saw something in Diamanti that we didn't and thought he was a useful backup allrounder then that's fair enough - I'd disagree but it'd be understandable. However, it seems they had absolutely no intention of playing him at all, which takes his selection in the squad from debatable to just plain stupid.

Howsie

International Captain
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I just dont understand how your best bat doesnt make it to the team? Styris is way better then this new lot
That's very debatable. If Broom was given a decent chance (Batting at 4-5) I would expect him to do very well. First of he's more suited to 4 day cricket as his record suggests, and secondly he isn't a finisher. It's like our selectors have seen his guns and decided he's a big hitter.