Cricket Player Manager
Page 11 of 83 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* Group B Discussion - South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, England

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    There was beautiful stroke play on display in this game.....however, if i had to choose out of Dilshan, Mahela, Sangakara, Smith, and Kallis.......i am going to go with Kallis..........his shots were pure beauty as far as i am concerned.....Dilshan played some beauties as well and so did Smith, Mahela and Sanga...but i personally found Kallis's stroke play amazing clean hitting and he was middling everything...
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    No one's saying they're all the greatest players in the world, but it's nine players out of a team of eleven with no question marks over their place whatsoever. Ten if you count Mathews.

Apart from South Africa, all the other teams look a bit patchy to me. Australia have players like Tim Paine, Michael Clarke and Nathan Bracken who no one's convinced about at the moment. India have Rahul Dravid, RP Singh, Ashish Nehra; England have an entire batting lineup of weak links, New Zealand have an awful lot of inexperienced players and Pakistan are a bit mercurial.

Sri Lanka have nine or ten players who could all very easily contribute heavily to a victory. That's more than any other team, apart from the one they've already beaten.
    Can't agree that AUS are patchy right now. Tim Paine is sort of a weak link, but his slow scoring can me masked by the strengh of AUS middle & lower-order. Clarke looked better in the later half of the ODI series in ENG so no worries there. No issue with Bracken, Siddle may play ahed of him given how the Jo'Burg wicket look today - which makes AUS pace attack the most lethal in this tournament.

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Can't agree that AUS are patchy right now. Tim Paine is sort of a weak link, but his slow scoring can me masked by the strengh of AUS middle & lower-order. Clarke looked better in the later half of the ODI series in ENG so no worries there. No issue with Bracken, Siddle may play ahed of him given how the Jo'Burg wicket look today - which makes AUS pace attack the most lethal in this tournament.
    If Joburg's pitch stays green i don't see how either Pak or Ind. can beat Aus. It will be a tough one.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Butler and Oram are out for tonights match. Butler just has a stomach bug, but Oram's done something to his hamstring so god knows when he'll be back.

I guess that'll leave the team as:

McCullum
    Ryder
    Guptill
    Taylor
    Elliot
    Broom
    ?
    Vettori
    Mills
    Tuffee
    Bond

Really have no clue as to who we'll be playing in Oram's stead. Diremanti? Uggghhhh... Perhaps it'd be best to pick Patel and go in with a bowling heavy lineup, not that bowling has been our major problem in ODI's recently...
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Butler and Oram are out for tonights match. Butler just has a stomach bug, but Oram's done something to his hamstring so god knows when he'll be back.

I guess that'll leave the team as:

McCullum
    Ryder
    Guptill
    Taylor
    Elliot
    Broom
    ?
    Vettori
    Mills
    Tuffee
    Bond

Really have no clue as to who we'll be playing in Oram's stead. Diremanti? Uggghhhh... Perhaps it'd be best to pick Patel and go in with a bowling heavy lineup, not that bowling has been our major problem in ODI's recently...
    Ugh, that's bad. Our batting looks really weak now - I know Oram was probably unlikely to score many runs anyway but now the order looks even more questionable from number 6 down.

Hey, let's slot Franklin in there... McGlashan? N McCullum? *sigh*

Of the rest of them I'd almost prefer Diremanti play, and that's saying something.

At least Butler missing out is not too much of a blow as only two of him, Tuffey and Mills would have played anyway.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Oh FFS Oram.
    I hope they are flying in Franklin ASAP just in case. Or a capable batsmen (Styris?)

The question of who will replace him is a tuffey ().
    Suppose they could bring in Hopkins to keep
    Not sure Patel would be a good choice considering the condition of the pitch last game.

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRK-NANNES View Post
    Oh FFS Oram.
    Not sure Patel would be a good choice considering the condition of the pitch last game.
    Considering how Mendis was handled by the SA side in the last game, it would be be a very unwise move not to pick Patel for this game. He'll run through that middle order with ease IMO.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Franklin just took a 5-fer

But he is also playing FC cricket for the Gloucs.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRK-NANNES View Post
    Taking turn from ball 1?

Where the hell is N McCullum now?!?!

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Franklin just took a 5-fer

But he is also playing FC cricket for the Gloucs.
    And its also his first decent haul of the season. The fact that Hamish Marshall has been comfortably outbowling him for the past 5 or 6 rounds says a lot.

His batting's been good though.
    Last edited by Bahnz; 23-09-2009 at 08:18 PM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Cricinfo preparing for an SA choke judging by the preview, though they still managed to roll out all the old NZ cliches.

"Their opponents don't possess the unorthodox and unique talents of the Sri Lankans but New Zealand make up for that with discipline, doggedness and sheer hard work."

"New Zealand are a team without stars and rely on collective contribution from their batsmen to achieve a challenging total."

Sorry to sound like a kiwi with a chip on his shoulder banging on and on, but when they write a preview on us can they at least not copy and paste from every single other preview they've written on us before? Its like they need to buff up their word count or something.
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Polo23 View Post
    Taking turn from ball 1?
    Oops, I thought we were playing on the wicket from this morning.
    Anyway, it's not like Steyn was turning the ball (ball 1)

Turn or no turn, Kallis and de Villiers are bound to feast on Patel's bowling.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Cricinfo preparing for an SA choke judging by the preview, though they still managed to roll out all the old NZ cliches.

"Their opponents don't possess the unorthodox and unique talents of the Sri Lankans but New Zealand make up for that with discipline, doggedness and sheer hard work."

"New Zealand are a team without stars and rely on collective contribution from their batsmen to achieve a challenging total."
    Found that hilarious too! A laughably bad article - who could accuse Guptill and McCullum of discipline and doggedness?

To borrow from a comedy show which I've forgotten the name of:
    Binoy George started writing his article. After a few words a helpful Paperclip icon appeared in the corner of the screen with a message "you look like you are writing an article about New Zealand cricket". "Would you like me to write the article for you?" So of course Binoy clicked yes and entered a few names and dates and pressed ok. Hey presto! An article appeared with random sprinklings of phrases like 'dark horses', 'more than the sum of their parts' and 'their more fashionable opposition shouldn't take NZ lightly'.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    To borrow from a comedy show which I've forgotten the name of:
    Binoy George started writing his article. After a few words a helpful Paperclip icon appeared in the corner of the screen with a message "you look like you are writing an article about New Zealand cricket". "Would you like me to write the article for you?" So of course Binoy clicked yes and entered a few names and dates and pressed ok. Hey presto! An article appeared with random sprinklings of phrases like 'dark horses', 'more than the sum of their parts' and 'their more fashionable opposition shouldn't take NZ lightly'.
    Brilliant

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    If NZ were thinking clearly they would send McCullum back down to no.6/no.7 to make up for the lack of power hitting in the death overs from Oram's absense. Now is as good an excuse as any.

Page 11 of 83 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread Information