• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Group A Discussion - Pakistan, West Indies, Australia, India

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
You are right about YP but I would play Nayyar there.. His bowling might be useful there and he is a good batsman, a bit like Robin Singh.. suited to #7... Mishra would be gr8 in the side but with Bhajji doing well, he will have to wait for his chance, unfortunately. :(
Mishra and Bhajji together isn't a bad idea at all. It's worth a try.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Now Sanjay Manjrekar and Wasim Akram think Dravid's recall is a step backward. Their reasoning is that Raina should learn to face the quicks and handle the pressure of that position. By demoting him, they're restricting him from making a big score and also denting his confidence- by saying he's not good enough.

That's a fair point, but the Indians are missing Sehwag in this tournament. That's one big name gone. In addition, Yuvraj and Dhoni are far more accomplished batsmen. There's no way Raina should bat so high up when these are the players around. While Dravid's recall is a negative step for other reasons, the management and selectors wish to take no chances with batting in the Champions' Trophy.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The Indians should put in practice what they can follow in the rest of the series. What should they have as the selection and strategy? Here's a list to think about.
  1. Play five full bowlers including Praveen, or Nayar as a full bowler.
  2. Top five of Gambhir, Tendulkar, Dravid, Yuvraj, Dhoni, and the rest may be shuffled according to the scenario.
  3. Swap Ishant with one of the current new ball bowlers.
  4. Ishant goes for pace, Singh/Kumar/Nehra for movement and Nayar just a steady wicket-to-wicket line.
  5. At least three stand in close-in positions for the whole innings, and possibly even a slip for the whole lot, and set fields to cut off singles rather than boundaries.
It's a pity Yusuf Pathan is out of form. That just makes things a whole lot harder now.

ret

International Debutant
YP = Indian version of Afridi .... inconsistent but if he fires, he can win the game. the sad part is of late he looks out of rhythm! .... If they play him, may be they should bat him up the order so that he gets in to some kind of a rhythm for the tourney

He isn't going to get in to rhythm trying to bash the first ball he faces to the boundary with 4-5 overs to go. In that case, a 5th bowler would be an option to consider

Last edited:

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Pak and Ind at this point have a lot of question marks....Even though India won the Compaq cup, their performances were not convincing, other then Sachin's ton. Before that they struggled against the the short stuff, and on bouncy SA tracks, they might face that nightmare again.

For Pakistan, yes they are unpredictable but right now, they have too many ifs and buts in their team on top of the regular ifs and buts, i.e. Rana, Nazir, Malik and including Misbah......these players could be play a good innings which may or may not be a match winning them on their good days! Umer is doing great and i wish him best of luck...YK is not in good form at all, Mo Yo...i don't know what the heck is wrong with him....got out today as well on a duck........me i am putting my money on Afridi, Gul, Umer, and may be some what on Kamran Akmal......these are the players to look for......

Australia, what else do they need, they are about to whitewash England!!!! What more practice do you need........??? They should easily go through to semi's......

Abotu WI no comments, although for teams like Pak and Ind, an upset will not be a surprize......

Now keeping all this in prespective.....Group A is the s***! its probably the most exciting group ever made.....and guess what with Australia in good position to qualify, and WI in no position to qualify, we are left with IND and PAK........its a do or die game on Sep 26 ...as far as i am concerned.

Last edited:

ret

International Debutant
Ind would be favs though esp if they bat first Pak would have little chance! .... You don't win 6 ODI series in a row with lots of question marks

Faisal1985

Ind would be favs though esp if they bat first Pak would have little chance! .... You don't win 6 ODI series in a row with lots of question marks
I agree, but i think those 6 ODI series latest wins were WI and NZ, and then Compaq cup.....right?

ret

International Debutant
I agree, but i think those 6 ODI series latest wins were WI and NZ, and then Compaq cup.....right?
that's just 3! .... I guess the 6 wins include the victory in Australia and 2 series win in SL which by any account are not easy

Faisal1985

that's just 3! .... I guess the 6 wins include the victory in Australia and 2 series win in SL which by any account are not easy

No one is disagreeing......they were certainly tough wins.........i am talking about the latest form bud......there latest was against WI, NZ and Compaq win....the "last" 3 out of those 6. I saw the games in SL for compaq cup the wins were not as convincing as they should have been...but yes Gambhir's return will boast Ind's batting line up for sure....but at the same time, Pak has Asif making a come back in that game as well which will give some boast to Pak bowling. Don't be so convinced that Ind. batting first will be enough to win the game....

ret

International Debutant
What you have to remember that despite not playing well, Ind is still managing to sneak series wins .... in SA, Ind has traditionally done well in multi-nation tourneys

What I am wary off is them being over confident and then messing things up in their first game against Pak. If they lose then they have to battle it out with OZ and also have to keep NRR in mind against WI

And nobody can be sure that if Ind bats first it will definitely win but the chances go up tremendously

Faisal1985

What you have to remember that despite not playing well, Ind is still managing to sneak series wins .... in SA, Ind has traditionally done well in multi-nation tourneys

What I am wary off is them being over confident and then messing things up in their first game against Pak. If they lose then they have to battle it out with OZ and also have to keep NRR in mind against WI

And nobody can be sure that if Ind bats first it will definitely win but the chances go up tremendously
They surely have had a great run recently...and credit to the Indian batsmen.
but at the same time i think Ind has more pressure to win because they are a better side.....

ret

International Debutant
and India is not even at full strength with guys like Sehwag and Zak missing lol

Faisal1985

Well Sehwag for sure, but Zak was never as threatening for Pak.

It will surely be a game to watch..............................and its on a Sunday so that would be perfect....

ret

International Debutant
Btw, read on cricinfo that Bhajji is looking to get an international 100 .... well, good luck to him!

HMas

U19 12th Man
Btw, read on cricinfo that Bhajji is looking to get an international 100 .... well, good luck to him!
Sehwag looking to get 1st ODI double hundred.
Ishant looking to bowl at 100mph
Sachin wants to win a WC

so many dreams for Indian players.:laugh:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sehwag looking to get 1st ODI double hundred.
Ishant looking to bowl at 100mph
Sachin wants to win a WC

so many dreams for Indian players.:laugh:
Meh. Shoaib Akhtar was the one who derailed his team goal targeting 100 mph in Australia.