Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is the point of the Champions Trophy?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Although being knocked-out of the World Cup in 1999 was indeed every bit as disappointing as any Test series loss I've experienced.
    Tell me about it.

I'll be excited about this competition if it reaches free-to-air!

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Personally I wish it wasn't played every two years, and in October. I would stage it every four years, so as to avoid World Cup years. The last one was played about six months before the World Cup which seemed quite ludicrous to me. And October should be England's rest period between the home season and the first of the winter tours. Although I recognise that staging it in March, say, would be equally unattractive to southern hemisphere teams. So no easy solution there. As for prestige, how many can name all the winners, in order? Most of us could do that for the World Cups.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    Personally I wish it wasn't played every two years, and in October. I would stage it every four years, so as to avoid World Cup years. The last one was played about six months before the World Cup which seemed quite ludicrous to me. And October should be England's rest period between the home season and the first of the winter tours. Although I recognise that staging it in March, say, would be equally unattractive to southern hemisphere teams. So no easy solution there. As for prestige, how many can name all the winners, in order? Most of us could do that for the World Cups.
    Quite. The idea that the organisers consider it appropriate to schedule it months before a World Cup demonstrates how piffling it is.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    SA, NZ, SL&Ind, WI, Aus. Easy as.

I quite agree BTW that every 4 years would be much the best solution - having it so close to the World Cup inevitably takes the gloss off not one but both events. The simple truth is, though, that there's no ideal time. September\October has usually been the favoured slot, because there's not often much if any international cricket on then. There's a good reason for that too - it's not suitable, either for weather or distraction (or both) purposes.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

This purpose of this tournament has always baffled me. What's the point in having it when we already have a World Cup? It's essentially just a World Cup which everyone dismisses - utterly pointless event.

That doesn't mean it's not interesting, of course, or that the players don't treat it seriously and prepare for it completely. Merely that its place in a packed international schedule is highly questionable. The last Champions Trophy for example was a much more enjoyable competition than the last World Cup for mine and showcased some much better cricket overall - but the stigma attached to it was almost non-existent.

If the ICC wants a global tournament every two years then it should make the World Cup a biannual event. People will say this would take away some of the rarity involved with winning it, I know, but personally I think the positives of doing this outweigh the negatives. For one, this whole "building for the World Cup" process every team seems to want to go through now wouldn't be so pointless immediately after each Cup.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

What is the point of Prince EWS?

Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    This purpose of this tournament has always baffled me. What's the point in having it when we already have a World Cup? It's essentially just a World Cup which everyone dismisses - utterly pointless event.

That doesn't mean it's not interesting, of course, or that the players don't treat it seriously and prepare for it completely. Merely that its place in a packed international schedule is highly questionable. The last Champions Trophy for example was a much more enjoyable competition than the last World Cup for mine and showcased some much better cricket overall - but the stigma attached to it was almost non-existent.

If the ICC wants a global tournament every two years then it should make the World Cup a biannual event. People will say this would take away some of the rarity involved with winning it, I know, but personally I think the positives of doing this outweigh the negatives. For one, this whole "building for the World Cup" process every team seems to want to go through now wouldn't be so pointless immediately after each Cup.
    Well they quickly disbanded the WC every three years idea after 99
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    What is the point of Prince EWS?

To save The 4400.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If the ICC wants a global tournament every two years then it should make the World Cup a biannual event. People will say this would take away some of the rarity involved with winning it, I know, but personally I think the positives of doing this outweigh the negatives.
    I've thought this for a long time - since about 1999 in fact, when I first read someone suggesting it. Sure, it'd make it less rare, but it damn well wouldn't make it so common as to be unimportant. 4 years is rare; 2 years is pretty rare too.
    For one, this whole "building for the World Cup" process every team seems to want to go through now wouldn't be so pointless immediately after each Cup.
    Well, not every team - and it's certainly not pointless at all, but some people don't agree - understandably - that it's the best way to treat ODIs. It'd mean less change had to be undertaken in order to do it. Had the World Cup been just around the corner as of this post, Paul Nixon might well have been able to stay in England's ODI side as some who don't think World Cup preparation immediately after the event thought he should have.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Well they quickly disbanded the WC every three years idea after 99
    Huh? When was that idea even mooted?

The World Cup has always been every 4 years - 1975, 1979, 1983, 1987/88, 1991/92, 1995/96, 1999, 2002/03, 2006/07. AFAIK n0-0ne has ever suggested it be moved to 3 - though 2 has been suggested by at least 1 person.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    It was held in 96, then 99

If people want to question the point of the CT, you could say what is the point of any tournament outside of the World Cup. The fact is people want to see cricket, and cricketers by and large want to play cricket. Therefore, you'll always need to have tournaments outside of the World Cup. I'd argue that the CT is far more meaningful than the Tri-Series that used to be served up in Australia year after year or a multitude of other series played around the place.

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    If people want to question the point of the CT, you could say what is the point of any tournament outside of the World Cup. The fact is people want to see cricket, and cricketers by and large want to play cricket. Therefore, you'll always need to have tournaments outside of the World Cup. I'd argue that the CT is far more meaningful than the Tri-Series that used to be served up in Australia year after year or a multitude of other series played around the place.
    AWTA.

Dougie Brown was just on the radio saying that the CT is the competition which the players least like in the cricketing calendar, that they'd rather have a rest from cricket, that the event lacks credibility and that now it has been postponed it won't be missed.

Brown was speaking in his role as head of the Professional Cricketers' Association.

This gives you a fairly good idea of what the players, at least in this country, think about this tournament.

The only people that I feel sorry for are the Pakistan fans who probably don't get enough good cricket to watch.

International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    To play a multi-nation tournament over a short period of time.

The original idea was to raise funds for cricket's developing nations (hence the first official I$C$C-organised version was held in Bangladesh and Kenya) but that's now changed.

Even that was not a particularly sincere reason given that Kenya's cricket administration actually lost money staging the tourney in 2000

Now we are facing the likly hood of two tourneys in two years.What a joke
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    All these Broad fans are no doubt Kohli fans too. Fans of tosspot wankers.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information