• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Champions Trophy 2006 - Underrated

pasag

RTDAS
With the 2008 version going ahead, I think it's time to pay tribute to what was really a very good tournament that often gets lost in discussion between the dire WC, Twenty20s, IPL and so on.

For me, off the top of my head it had:

- Very low scoring games
- Dew factor and conditions that threw a spanner in the works, making many games unpredictable
- In fact many of the games were unpredictable and exciting
- WI doing well
- That ball from Bracken to Gayle
- Watto!
- Hilarious podium pushing controversy leading to animal painting

Enough rambling, very fun tournament for mine that doesn't get mentioned enough.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Guess this came in response to TC's post.

You're right, but if only WI hadn't collapsed in such a ridiculous fashion in the final, the tournament could have been awesome, rather than very good.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeha, it was a good tournament, we were a joke mind you. Though I believe we did chase down the highest score of the tournament, or the highest successful chase anyway.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I thought it was an excellent tournament indeed, the format was good and worked according to plan, which is always a good start. And a few things worked in its favour meaning much of the cricket (except when England were involved) was very interesting.

I wasn't a big fan of the amount of seam in the pitches - often teams were bowled-out inside 40 overs or near-as-damn-it. I'd prefer see innings that last the course, but I suppose with better batsmanship they might have. But obviously that's far better than the sort of tournament where 320 repeatedly plays 210 and occasionally plays 321.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
With the 2008 version going ahead, I think it's time to pay tribute to what was really a very good tournament that often gets lost in discussion between the dire WC, Twenty20s, IPL and so on.

For me, off the top of my head it had:

- Very low scoring games
- Dew factor and conditions that threw a spanner in the works, making many games unpredictable
- In fact many of the games were unpredictable and exciting
- WI doing well
- That ball from Bracken to Gayle
- Watto!
- Hilarious podium pushing controversy leading to animal painting

Enough rambling, very fun tournament for mine that doesn't get mentioned enough.
- Watson's dismissal of Flintoff after hitting him in the grill with a bouncer. Never cheered an Aussie getting out and Englishman before an never since.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was an excellent tournament, and the 2004 one even more so.

The last two Champions Trophies >>>> the last two World Cups, IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It was an excellent tournament, and the 2004 one even more so.
:blink: Seriously? The 2004 event was a fiasco in so many ways. Sure, there were some decent moments (the denounement of the final, the England-Australia semi, the India-Pakistan group game, and one or two others) but I could never look past the fact that the tournament was an accident waiting to happen. There was so much wrong with the scheduling, there were too many teams involved, the crowd-control regulations left all sorts to be desired, and this contributed to poor atmospheres, several very poor games, and an overall tournament that, as Matthew Engel so succinctly put it, "did cricket far more harm than good, all of which was obvious and avoidable".

It may have been better than some other ODI tournaments of recent times, but it wasn't a patch on the 2006/07 Champions Trophy for mine.
The last two Champions Trophies >>>> the last two World Cups, IMO.
Agreed on that mind. CT 2004, poor as (IMO) it was > WC2003.

pasag

RTDAS
Forgive me for my memory lapse but it's very hot and I can't think, what was that all about again
On the podium when accepting the CT trophy Pawar was hanging around and Australia wanted to do their celebrating thing so Martyn gave him a bit of a push/nudge off the podium. Blew up into a controversy and needless to say the animals were the ones to suffer :laugh:

Dissector

International Debutant
I think the Champions Trophy in general is underrated. It's always nice to have all the top teams in one tournament and the short length of the tournament makes it more unpredictable with teams like New Zealand and West Indies getting their shot at glory. It's a lot more meaningful than the two-bit ODI tournaments like Kitply which are forgotten as soon as they finish.

Dissector

International Debutant
Oh and about the picture: I am really impressed that they managed to spell Damien Martyn correctly.:laugh:

pup11

International Coach
Yeah CT 06 was a brilliant Odi tournament, where bowlers got some help of the deck and the batsmen who were willing to concentrate and work for their runs also were successful, all in all it was a good battle between bat and ball, Bracken's ball to Gayle (who btw was in gun form at that time) was one special ball, and to top it all, the best four sides made it to the semi-finals.