Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Championless Trophy? - stop the bs and go

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    There are places in India where the threat is just as high as there is in Pakistan and yet Aussies don't have a problem because of two reasons:

a. There is no such stigma attached with India as there is with Pakistan (mainly based on wrong perceptions, if I may add that)

b. Money. Moolah does talk and they all know that there is a good amount of money to be made if you are an Aussie cricketer touring India. The Ads, the IPL contracts and now even Bollywood cameos being on the anvil makes it a more viable proposition and they are willing to take that chance against security advice.
    And money lost after legal action by the BCCI.

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    At the end of the day, the blame should sit with CA for not being man enough to send the players (whoever are ready to play) on tour. I am sure if there is one tour by an Aussie team to Pak, even the players who have concerns will be ready to tour the next time.
    Now hang on a sec; if you want to blame someone, blame DFAT. CA take their advice from them, a federal government agency no less. It's pretty clear that CA aren't well enough informed to make a decision themselves so they have to trust someone and DFAT are the logical choice in this country. Could you imagine the outcry if CA ignored the very government agency tasked to provide this info? Not to mention the lawsuits to follow if something bad did happen? They'd be rightly pillored and sued into oblivion. Following the advice of DFAT is a prudent business decision by CA, perfectly justifiable and there's no-one, put into a similar position, who wouldn't do the same.

In the eyes of DFAT, India and Pakistan are not the same level of risk for a touring party and there's no getting past that. It's absolutely no surprise that CA would choose to tour accordingly. Whether the basis for DFAT's info is questionable or not, that's the way it is. And if I had legal responsibility for the safety of anyone, anecdotal info from non-official sources wouldn't cut it for me either.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Now hang on a sec; if you want to blame someone, blame DFAT. CA take their advice from them, a federal government agency no less. It's pretty clear that CA aren't well enough informed to make a decision themselves so they have to trust someone and DFAT are the logical choice in this country. Could you imagine the outcry if CA ignored the very government agency tasked to provide this info? Not to mention the lawsuits to follow if something bad did happen? They'd be rightly pillored and sued into oblivion. Following the advice of DFAT is a prudent business decision by CA, perfectly justifiable and there's no-one, put into a similar position, who wouldn't do the same.

In the eyes of DFAT, India and Pakistan are not the same level of risk for a touring party and there's no getting past that. It's absolutely no surprise that CA would choose to tour accordingly. Whether the basis for DFAT's info is questionable or not, that's the way it is. And if I had legal responsibility for the safety of anyone, anecdotal info from non-official sources wouldn't cut it for me either.
    Kashmir is same as the most troubled parts of Pakistan..ok we don't play cricket any more in Kashmir.

But North east india has the same rating as Other parts of Pakistan like karachi and lahore..and i think Pakistan only got this rating since the war on terror while the North east india was in the same rating for the last 10+ years.but both Aus and NZ did play in North east india with out any fuss in 2003 and i am sure they will play again there ..if i am correct Australia did play a warm up match after 2003 in N E india
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by biased indian View Post
    Kashmir is same as the most troubled parts of Pakistan..ok we don't play cricket any more in Kashmir.

But North east india has the same rating as Other parts of Pakistan like karachi and lahore..and i think Pakistan only got this rating since the war on terror while the North east india was in the same rating for the last 10+ years.but both Aus and NZ did play in North east india with out any fuss in 2003 and i am sure they will play again there ..if i am correct Australia did play a warm up match after 2003 in N E india
    I'm not going to pretend that I know anything about the region in terms of the threat level. I can't contradict nor support you, DFAT or anyone. I'm just saying that CA would run with their assessment over anyone else's if for nothing else to avoid being sued if something does go wrong.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I'm not going to pretend that I know anything about the region in terms of the threat level. I can't contradict nor support you, DFAT or anyone. I'm just saying that CA would run with their assessment over anyone else's if for nothing else to avoid being sued if something does go wrong.
    But if that were true, they wouldn't play in places in India where the threat level is the same as in Pakistan. Yet they do. Blame doesn't lie with individual players, but certainly does with CA.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    But if that were true, they wouldn't play in places in India where the threat level is the same as in Pakistan. Yet they do. Blame doesn't lie with individual players, but certainly does with CA.
    So the threat level at the time the Aussies played was 'Do Not Travel'? Because right now, they're not the same. Bear in mind, the DFAT website only carries generalised warnings; phrases like "We are receiving numerous pieces of information....." etc. with the funky little bar at the top which, even if they're the same on the site, doesn't necessarily mean the threat level is exactly the same in any places you compare. The info DFAT would give CA would not be a link to their site, it'd be more detailed too. Trust me on this, work experience talking. Threat assessments can change by the day and in certain situations, by the hour.

The point; CA would take DFAT's call and would likely would err on the side of caution. India is perceived as safer, generally-speaking, than Pakistan, specific hotspots notwithstanding. Anecdotal evidence, such as "My friend went to Islamabad last weekend and they were perfectly safe" isn't anywhere near enough to invalidate that if the official info from DFAT says "Dear God, don't travel there." There's a whole heap you and I don't know about which inform the threat so, to be honest, there's not a person on this site who can really speak intelligently enough about it.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 24-06-2008 at 05:33 AM.

So the threat level at the time the Aussies played was 'Do Not Travel'? Because right now, they're not the same.
    It was "Reconsider your need to travel", which is the same as Pakistan's "Reconsider your need to travel"

India has a do not travel in certain sections, while Pakistan has the same thing. And in both of those places, there would be no cricket.

So the threat level at the time the Aussies played was 'Do Not Travel'? Because right now, they're not the same. Bear in mind, the DFAT website only carries generalised warnings; phrases like "We are receiving numerous pieces of information....." etc. with the funky little bar at the top which, even if they're the same on the site, doesn't necessarily mean the threat level is exactly the same in any places you compare. The info DFAT would give CA would not be a link to their site, it'd be more detailed too. Trust me on this, work experience talking. Threat assessments can change by the day and in certain situations, by the hour.
    I used to consult for a security company that businesses hired to tell them whether it was safe to travel or to open up branches. I know full well what goes on in the annals of that industry.

In any case, the fact still remains that most countries do go to Pakistan, who are just as much at 'risk' as Australia, and Australia's own government provides very similar warnings to several cricket playing places in India which Australia do go to.

If you want to look at details instead of generalized warnings, that's fine too. If you think a stadium in Karachi is any less safe than a stadium in Jaipur, then you're wrong. It's that simple.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 24-06-2008 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by biased indian View Post
    We dont play International Cricket in Kashmir because of politics.

Banned

Icon8 'Learn from Lawson,' PCB tells Australia

I think they should take a leaf out of (Pakistan coach) Geoff Lawson's book. If terrorists had a point to prove, they could have targeted him or his Australian staff. But this hasn't been the situation," PCB COO Shafqat Naghmi told the Herald.

http://www.cricketnext.com/news/lear.../32339-13.html

International Captain
    Good point, it's amazing that Geoff Lawson isn't the number one target of international terrorists.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Good point, it's amazing that Geoff Lawson isn't the number one target of international terrorists.
    It should be remembered that he did bowl a 'Beamer' in a Test once
    You know it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I used to consult for a security company that businesses hired to tell them whether it was safe to travel or to open up branches. I know full well what goes on in the annals of that industry.

In any case, the fact still remains that most countries do go to Pakistan, who are just as much at 'risk' as Australia, and Australia's own government provides very similar warnings to several cricket playing places in India which Australia do go to.

If you want to look at details instead of generalized warnings, that's fine too. If you think a stadium in Karachi is any less safe than a stadium in Jaipur, then you're wrong. It's that simple.
    Still not getting it; I'm not arguing against any of that because I don't know any detailed info about the area. Just saying CA will take DFAT's call on the matter and, legally, that would be the prudent option.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post

Geoff loves it over there.

The way he promotes the place, he's the Tourism Minister in all but name.

Still not getting it; I'm not arguing against any of that because I don't know any detailed info about the area. Just saying CA will take DFAT's call on the matter and, legally, that would be the prudent option.
    But they aren't taking DFAT's call, that's what I am saying. They played in areas of India with the same warning as Pakistan.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    And money lost after legal action by the BCCI.

Yeah, I get that but the thing is Aussies didn't seem to bother about touring to places in India which had the same level of warning as Pakistan. That is why I think CA should have at least one tour in recent times, at least the CT if nothing else. As I said, if one tour goes smoothly, I am sure lot of the players would be less reluctant about touring Pakistan.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread Information