Cricket Player Manager
Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Championless Trophy? - stop the bs and go

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    The perception is that the more dangerous parts of Pakistan are far worse than the more dangerous parts of England/Australia and it's hard to argue with that.
    But you're not going to the Pakistan-Afghanistan border to play cricket as far as I know.

Can't speak for the ECB but CA's position has generally been informed by DFAT (who inform all travel warnings for Australia) and then the decision regarding whether to go is fed back to them from the players. You can question DFAT's info as much as you like but they are the government department who deals directly with this, getting feeds from ASIO, ONA and FedPol who are tasked with collecting this info. For CA to ignore any of that would be the height of irresponsibility.
    Very interesting. From the DFAT:

We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in India because of the high risk of terrorist activity by militant groups.

We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in India because of the high risk of terrorist activity by militant groups. Pay close attention to your personal security at all times and monitor the media for information about possible new safety or security risks.

Terrorists are active in Jammu and Kashmir, particularly during the summer months. In the past, tourist buses and groups have been targeted. See also Civil Unrest/Political Tension (below).

You should be particularly vigilant in the lead up to and on days of national significance such as Republic Day (26 January) and Independence Day (15 August) as militants have used such occasions to mount attacks. Additional security measures may be imposed from time to time which may cause delays for road, rail and air passengers.

Terrorist attacks can occur anywhere in India. In planning your activities, consider the kind of places known to be terrorist targets and the level of security provided. There is also a risk of attacks in commercial and public areas and at events and places known to be frequented by foreigners. These include prominent government buildings, places of worship, markets and shopping malls, public transport networks, religious sites, pilgrimages and festivals and tourist sites. Recent attacks have included explosions at a market place, local courts, a cinema and local transport networks. These risks apply in all of India’s cities and tourist centres.

On 13 May 2008, there was a series of coordinated bomb blasts in the walled city area of Jaipur in the state of Rajasthan. 63 people were killed and over 200 injured.
    Height of irresponsibility?
    Last edited by silentstriker; 22-06-2008 at 10:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    But you're not going to the Pakistan-Afghanistan border to play cricket as far as I know.
    Mate, you're preaching to the converted here; I'm with you, if some of the Aussies would just do a bit of reading and talk to the right people, they'd see it's probably going to be okay. I'd go if I was playing. But I'm also not about to mess with someone's individual choice.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Very interesting. From the DFAT:

Height of irresponsibility?
    Nah, DFAT put out different warnings, certainly stronger ones than that for Pakistan generally. That one wouldn't be considered a warning to avoid the country altogether. Contrast that with the warning for Pakistan;

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-c...dvice/Pakistan

From the page;

We strongly advise you to reconsider your need to travel to Pakistan at this time due to the very high threat of terrorist attack, sectarian violence and the unpredictable security situation. If you do decide to travel to Pakistan, you should exercise extreme caution. If you are in Pakistan and concerned for your safety, you should consider leaving if it is safe to do so.
    Subtle difference perhaps but the Indian one is considered a lower-level warning whereas the Pakistan page is essentially saying "Avoid travelling here at all."

Could be worse, anyway, could be Sudan;

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-c...w/Advice/Sudan
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 22-06-2008 at 11:04 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

School Boy/Girl Cricketer MrHat's Avatar
    Australia is not as concerned about terrorism in India as Pakistan because the violence in the former is local and political in nature, while the latter has a global jihad element to it. In other words they are more vunerable as the actual targets of militants rather than just innocent bystanders as they would be in India. If one were to just look at raw statistics, Pakistan is much more dangerous in general - bcos a massive bombing campaign just stopped going off a few months ago, the place is not suddenly safe. Not to the Western brain anyway.

Also if Queensland was being bombed at the rate of one a week, had the worlds foremost terrrorist living there, had madrasses as the only education option, had uncivilised elements perpeturting a war of civilisation against NSW + the world I wouldn't consider playing cricket in Cairns for an extended period.

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHat View Post
    Australia is not as concerned about terrorism in India as Pakistan because the violence in the former is local and political in nature, while the latter has a global jihad element to it. In other words they are more vunerable as the actual targets of militants rather than just innocent bystanders as they would be in India.

Have you ever heard of Kashmir....i am sure Australia will play an ODI in jammu if india scheduled it there...thats what moneys makes to u, money makes u feels safe..

i think Australia have played in guhwahati..which is the second most dangerous place in india after kashmir

if Asian bloke stand as one decide not to tour any other country boycotting any other Asian country we will not have this problem at all...
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Subtle difference perhaps but the Indian one is considered a lower-level warning whereas the Pakistan page is essentially saying "Avoid travelling here at all."
    Interestingly Aus played NZ in 2003 @ Nehru Stadium, Guwahati..which has the same level warning as Pakistan rite now..and would have been even more in 2003 considering there was more violence their during the last 10 years

Australia is not as concerned about terrorism in India as Pakistan because the violence in the former is local and political in nature, while the latter has a global jihad element to it. In other words they are more vunerable as the actual targets of militants rather than just innocent bystanders as they would be in India. If one were to just look at raw statistics, Pakistan is much more dangerous in general - bcos a massive bombing campaign just stopped going off a few months ago, the place is not suddenly safe. Not to the Western brain anyway.

Also if Queensland was being bombed at the rate of one a week, had the worlds foremost terrrorist living there, had madrasses as the only education option, had uncivilised elements perpeturting a war of civilisation against NSW + the world I wouldn't consider playing cricket in Cairns for an extended period.
    The expert (heh) speaketh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    True, a Duffer "heh" is like 50 likes.

Stating the obvoius pea brain

Stating the obvoius pea brain
    Not really, you've got the situation in India very wrong.

I'm not sure how? As a border dispute, the India - Pak issues are between each other and have nothing to do with the West. Pakistan clearly does has issues with the West so Aus has a right to be concerned..

I'm not sure how? As a border dispute, the India - Pak issues are between each other and have nothing to do with the West. Pakistan clearly does has issues with the West so Aus has a right to be concerned..
    Well the reason I hear from many cricketers when discussing security dangers is that they don't necessarily fear being specifically targeted, their main concern was ending up as collateral and the likelihood of that happening in India is very high as well.

Every major city in the north and now the south has been the target of major attacks and now even tourist spots like Jaipur are being targeted, so although it may not be as commonplace as in Pakistan there still lies a high threat.

I don't see the relevance of putting a "Western" spin on it either, sporting teams have never been specifically targeted in Pakistan to my knowledge; foreign embassies, multinationals and government buildings are the Western targets in Pakistan. If anything the Indian team is the biggest target when touring Pakistan and yet they're happy enough to go there too.

Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    Well the reason I hear from many cricketers when discussing security dangers is that they don't necessarily fear being specifically targeted, their main concern was ending up as collateral and the likelihood of that happening in India is very high as well.

Every major city in the north and now the south has been the target of major attacks and now even tourist spots like Jaipur are being targeted, so although it may not be as commonplace as in Pakistan there still lies a high threat.

I don't see the relevance of putting a "Western" spin on it either, sporting teams have never been specifically targeted in Pakistan to my knowledge; foreign embassies, multinationals and government buildings are the Western targets in Pakistan. If anything the Indian team is the biggest target when touring Pakistan and yet they're happy enough to go there too.
    I am not sure what cricketers think, not that they'd say so publicly anyway. CA, FICA might think differently..

And bcos it hasn't happened before, is not a reason count on it never happening.

I am not sure what cricketers think, not that they'd say so publicly anyway. CA, FICA might think differently..

And bcos it hasn't happened before, is not a reason count on it never happening.
    As for the cricketers I'm going by what was said by some (Stuart Clark etc) on the situation with their previous abandonment there.

And I agree that just because there hasn't been a precedent that you should rule it out, but no-one seems to be taking into account the Presidential level security that has been offered to the teams,which should be enough for anyone surely?

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Vettori did say he had no problem going if the security was top notch. Reckon that should be the case all round.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Vettori did say he had no problem going if the security was top notch. Reckon that should be the case all round.
    This is what gets my goat. PCB promised Australians the same protection they give heads of state, yet they refused to go anyway and the situation is much, much calmer now. My parents were in Lahore for over a month and (shack and horror) no bodyguards. The situation is overblown by the media.
    RIP Craigos

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    As for the cricketers I'm going by what was said by some (Stuart Clark etc) on the situation with their previous abandonment there.

And I agree that just because there hasn't been a precedent that you should rule it out, but no-one seems to be taking into account the Presidential level security that has been offered to the teams,which should be enough for anyone surely?
    I'd like to see them play in medieval armour with jousting sticks. And when the opposition batsman comes creaking to the crease someone in the Australian slips cordon would say 'Jousting sticks...what's he askin'...and the batsmen would go '$250'...and the slips could would all say in unison 'Tell him he's dreamin'.

I'd be sitting on the lounge at home with tears running down my face and wet pants.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread Information