• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Championless Trophy? - stop the bs and go

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia is not as concerned about terrorism in India as Pakistan because the violence in the former is local and political in nature, while the latter has a global jihad element to it. In other words they are more vunerable as the actual targets of militants rather than just innocent bystanders as they would be in India. If one were to just look at raw statistics, Pakistan is much more dangerous in general - bcos a massive bombing campaign just stopped going off a few months ago, the place is not suddenly safe. Not to the Western brain anyway.

Also if Queensland was being bombed at the rate of one a week, had the worlds foremost terrrorist living there, had madrasses as the only education option, had uncivilised elements perpeturting a war of civilisation against NSW + the world I wouldn't consider playing cricket in Cairns for an extended period.
The expert (heh) speaketh.

MrHat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I'm not sure how? As a border dispute, the India - Pak issues are between each other and have nothing to do with the West. Pakistan clearly does has issues with the West so Aus has a right to be concerned..

duffer

I'm not sure how? As a border dispute, the India - Pak issues are between each other and have nothing to do with the West. Pakistan clearly does has issues with the West so Aus has a right to be concerned..
Well the reason I hear from many cricketers when discussing security dangers is that they don't necessarily fear being specifically targeted, their main concern was ending up as collateral and the likelihood of that happening in India is very high as well.

Every major city in the north and now the south has been the target of major attacks and now even tourist spots like Jaipur are being targeted, so although it may not be as commonplace as in Pakistan there still lies a high threat.

I don't see the relevance of putting a "Western" spin on it either, sporting teams have never been specifically targeted in Pakistan to my knowledge; foreign embassies, multinationals and government buildings are the Western targets in Pakistan. If anything the Indian team is the biggest target when touring Pakistan and yet they're happy enough to go there too.

MrHat

Well the reason I hear from many cricketers when discussing security dangers is that they don't necessarily fear being specifically targeted, their main concern was ending up as collateral and the likelihood of that happening in India is very high as well.

Every major city in the north and now the south has been the target of major attacks and now even tourist spots like Jaipur are being targeted, so although it may not be as commonplace as in Pakistan there still lies a high threat.

I don't see the relevance of putting a "Western" spin on it either, sporting teams have never been specifically targeted in Pakistan to my knowledge; foreign embassies, multinationals and government buildings are the Western targets in Pakistan. If anything the Indian team is the biggest target when touring Pakistan and yet they're happy enough to go there too.
I am not sure what cricketers think, not that they'd say so publicly anyway. CA, FICA might think differently..

And bcos it hasn't happened before, is not a reason count on it never happening.

duffer

I am not sure what cricketers think, not that they'd say so publicly anyway. CA, FICA might think differently..

And bcos it hasn't happened before, is not a reason count on it never happening.
As for the cricketers I'm going by what was said by some (Stuart Clark etc) on the situation with their previous abandonment there.

And I agree that just because there hasn't been a precedent that you should rule it out, but no-one seems to be taking into account the Presidential level security that has been offered to the teams,which should be enough for anyone surely?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Vettori did say he had no problem going if the security was top notch. Reckon that should be the case all round.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Vettori did say he had no problem going if the security was top notch. Reckon that should be the case all round.
This is what gets my goat. PCB promised Australians the same protection they give heads of state, yet they refused to go anyway and the situation is much, much calmer now. My parents were in Lahore for over a month and (shack and horror) no bodyguards. The situation is overblown by the media.

Son Of Coco

As for the cricketers I'm going by what was said by some (Stuart Clark etc) on the situation with their previous abandonment there.

And I agree that just because there hasn't been a precedent that you should rule it out, but no-one seems to be taking into account the Presidential level security that has been offered to the teams,which should be enough for anyone surely?
I'd like to see them play in medieval armour with jousting sticks. And when the opposition batsman comes creaking to the crease someone in the Australian slips cordon would say 'Jousting sticks...what's he askin'...and the batsmen would go '$250'...and the slips could would all say in unison 'Tell him he's dreamin'.

I'd be sitting on the lounge at home with tears running down my face and wet pants.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I do understand some concern on the parts of the teams, being relatively famous foreigners in a rather volatile country. Yet with the protection provided and the relative public approval of cricket (hardly would be seen as intruders by anyone) and its playing in Pakistan its hard to see why Aus would back out other than a more political gesture against the Pakistani government. Arguments suggesting that the Aussie team is afraid to go because of the food or Pakistan playing conditions is ridiculous, as in all likely hood they would win.

MrHat

The Presidential security offer started lacking cred when Bhutto was shot. I am not saying that is totally right, but you can understand how that incident caused concern. If they couldn't protect just her how can a team of 20 blokes be safe. There are legitimate concerns that noone is untouchable in Pakistan, whatever the security

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The Presidential security offer started lacking cred when Bhutto was shot. I am not saying that is totally right, but you can understand how that incident caused concern. If they couldn't protect just her how can a team of 20 blokes be safe. There are legitimate concerns that noone is untouchable in Pakistan, whatever the security
If someone wanted to do something, they could do it in any country. The fact is, other countries have been touring Pakistan. And in any case, why did they play in Guwahati in India when the warnings are exactly the same from Australia's own agencies as they are in Pakistan?

duffer

I'd like to see them play in medieval armour with jousting sticks. And when the opposition batsman comes creaking to the crease someone in the Australian slips cordon would say 'Jousting sticks...what's he askin'...and the batsmen would go '$250'...and the slips could would all say in unison 'Tell him he's dreamin'.

I'd be sitting on the lounge at home with tears running down my face and wet pants.
:laugh: When you're done pass the dutch over this way please.

Athlai

Not Terrible
A politically fueled assassination is quite different from what the Australian cricket team faces, the biggest fear would be a terrorist bombing at a cricket ground. While Pakistan is certainly not the safest country in the world the Australian cricket team would still be highly unlikely targets of any harm or conflict, regardless of security.

I reckon this is politically motivated.

duffer

It's not like Pakistan is the only place in the world political assasinations have happened though.

And the level of security being given here is different, she was killed leaving a public rally, while here they're talking about closing off the entire road from the stadiums to the hotels and booking out entire hotels for just players and the army who'll accompany them everywhere.

MrHat

If someone wanted to do something, they could do it in any country. The fact is, other countries have been touring Pakistan. And in any case, why did they play in Guwahati in India when the warnings are exactly the same from Australia's own agencies as they are in Pakistan?
Yes, I can't speak spec on that place, but if someone did do something it would be more likely to take place in Pakistan. I'd assume it'd be much more difficult to conduct an operation like that in India rather than your home country. The fact that it hasn't happened yet isn't a garauntee that it won't.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yes, I can't speak spec on that place, but if someone did do something it would be more likely to take place in Pakistan. I'd assume it'd be much more difficult to conduct an operation like that in India rather than your home country.
Huh? Why would it? You realize the Indian parliament was attacked some time ago? The freaking Parliament.

The fact that it hasn't happened yet isn't a garauntee that it won't
Yes, also in England, Australia, India......

MrHat

Huh? Why would it? You realize the Indian parliament was attacked some time ago? The freaking Parliament.
I am assuming things are alot tougher for militants to operate under the watchful eye of the Indians, rather than back home where you are in your element. Of course attacks have happened and they can't all be stopped (proabably) but an incident is MORE LIKELY to occur in Pakistan. And I'm not sure Kashmiri terrorists would worry about Aussies in India they have nothing to do with their problems.

Yes, also in England, Australia, India......

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I am assuming things are alot tougher for militants to operate under the watchful eye of the Indians,
:laugh: That's just funny, and you'd be dissuaded of that notion quite quickly if you lived or followed Indian news.

And I'm not sure Kashmiri terrorists would worry about Aussies in India they have nothing to do with their problems.
It's pretty much the same people.

rather than back home where you are in your element. Of course attacks have happened and they can't all be stopped (proabably) but an incident is MORE LIKELY to occur in Pakistan.
I'd assume it'd be much more difficult to conduct an operation like that in India rather than your home country.
Haha, what are you on about? Many terrorists are home grown in India. Have you seen the demographics in India?