Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 540

Thread: Championless Trophy? - stop the bs and go

  1. #61
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Mard View Post
    I am from peshawar in northern pakistan and the situation is pretty bad in this part of the country. Bin laden and his gang is literary just a few hundred Kms away, not to mention Taliban. But places like Lahore and Karachi are ok i think, last time i was in lahore 3 months ago and i saw many western tourists there. Though ofcourse i can understand why some countries dont want to tour, it is understandable.
    Yeah, Peshawar's always been, well, somewhere I've been very wary of. England cricketers writing about being allowed to leave hotels only with armed guards and all. Most of the rest of Pakistan doesn't seem anywhere near so bad though.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  2. #62
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Really it's nothing like that at all.
    It's pretty much exactly like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  3. #63
    Hall of Fame Member steds's Avatar
    Breakout Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    ****ing cold and ****ing wet
    Posts
    17,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Mard View Post
    Bin laden and his gang is literary just a few hundred Kms away
    Have to be well read to become an extremist these days?

  4. #64
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    5,813
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Really it's nothing like that at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasa View Post
    Nah, it pretty much is.
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    It's pretty much exactly like that.

    Stimulating debate going on there boys.


  5. #65
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer MrHat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Aus
    Posts
    90
    The fact is that a terrorist attack is much more likely to occur in Pakistan than Australia, England or India. This is a bit too much reality for some people.

    Australia also shouldn't blindly follow Englands choices about where to tour, the ECB has left decisions about whether to tour up to the players even under death threats. CA aren't so diffident when it comes to player safety, as they are confident they'll be backed by the govt, which in Aus is generally less concerned about others opinions of it than those in the UK.

  6. #66
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHat View Post
    The fact is that a terrorist attack is much more likely to occur in Pakistan than Australia, England or India.
    You're also more likely to die slipping on a wet floor and hitting your head on a sharp corner than you are sitting on your sofa and having a piano be dropped through the roof of your house on top of you.

    Does that mean you should sit on the sofa all day and not risk getting up in case the floor's wet and you don't notice?

    If the chance goes from exceptionally slim to fairly slim, it really doesn't mean you should decide not to risk it.

    Now then, I can't say for sure that this is akin to the situation between Pakistan and the UK, but it sure as damn well seems like it to me.

  7. #67
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,650
    Quote Originally Posted by unccricket View Post
    the point i am making is that these things can happen anywhere, even in supposed "safe" countries like England. While it is true that areas of Pakistan are inherently more unstable, I still think it is unreasonable to refuse to tour Pakistan, while still playing in India or England, where terrorist attacks have occurred in the past....its the inconsistencies that bother me.
    Certainly it can happen anywhere, and I was of the view Australia should have toured Pakistan this year.
    Nevertheless, the counter-argument to your point is probably "Yeah, it CAN happen anywhere, but it IS happening there at the moment".
    Not saying it's right, but that's probably the argument.
    Maybe just leave it to the players - if they don't want to go, then don't, but send a team. Aus A toured there last year after all.
    Have to say though, based on what I know ATM, which isn't a very informed opinion as I haven't looked into it in detail, I wouldn't go.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

  8. #68
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Have to say though, based on what I know ATM, which isn't a very informed opinion as I haven't looked into it in detail, I wouldn't go.
    Why?

  9. #69
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,650
    Because the only news we get here about Pakistan is when something goes bad there, so without looking into it further ATM, I wouldn't feel safe going there. And I have a young family. So I wouldn't want to go.

  10. #70
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,227
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    It's pretty much exactly like that.
    Right, because England is a volatile country where there's been unrest in one form or another for a while. Comparing what's basically a one off with Pakistan is ridiculous. There are obviously different levels of threat involved. I'm not saying Pakistan is extremely volatile mind you, but it's not the UK.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

    R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

    Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

    "How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

  11. #71
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Right, because England is a volatile country where there's been unrest in one form or another for a while. Comparing what's basically a one off with Pakistan is ridiculous. There are obviously different levels of threat involved. I'm not saying Pakistan is extremely volatile mind you, but it's not the UK.
    What does that mean for a tourist party though? You won't be touring northwest Pakistan, the rest of the country is safe, and cricketers are never targetted anyway.

  12. #72
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,227
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    What does that mean for a tourist party though? You won't be touring northwest Pakistan, the rest of the country is safe, and cricketers are never targetted anyway.
    Right, but who is targetted? Is there some sort of plan the rest of us don't know about that means something will never happen where people who weren't supposed to be killed get killed? The incident with the NZ team years back indicates that things do happen and you can be in the wrong place and end up involved. If something does happen is there a get out where we can miraculously undo whatever damage occurs?

    I'm sure living somewhere where this sort of stuff doesn't happen makes it seem like more of an issue than it is. But then I'd say living with it might also make people a little immune to the nature of any threat.

  13. #73
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,184
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    What does that mean for a tourist party though? You won't be touring northwest Pakistan, the rest of the country is safe, and cricketers are never targetted anyway.
    Yes but for the players and their decision to go or not, what matters here is perception, not the facts so much. You're pretty much right and there's a whole lot of cricketers who tour the country that are still in possession of all their arms and legs. Conversely, when it comes to perception, England and Australia have a larger extremist element than they'd care to admit too.

    But, informed or not, if individual players still have that queasy feeling about going and say things like "Sure no cricketers have been targetted..... yet.", etc. and use that as a basis for not going, they shouldn't be forced to go. Let CA decide the career consequences or contractuals, sure, but contractual obligations in a non-threatening job like being a sports star (unlike, say, when I was working for Police) shouldn't determine whether a player is at risk if they decide it's unreasonable.
    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp

  14. #74
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Yes but for the players and their decision to go or not, what matters here is perception, not the facts so much.
    I agree. I don't blame the individual players.

    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    But, informed or not, if individual players still have that queasy feeling about going and say things like "Sure no cricketers have been targetted..... yet.",
    Sure, and if you feel that way as an individual, it's your right not to go. But I'd say that a western touring team in England might be at least as much danger of a terrorist attack than one in Pakistan, as in the subcontinent, cricket unites like little else.

    I certainly am not, nor ever have, disputed the player's rights to feel safe and not tour if they want. It's just cricket and it's not worth your life. That's not at issue here. The issue is what a national board, which is supposed to think with a logical mind and make decisions based on facts (rather than perceptions, emotion, etc) should do.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 22-06-2008 at 07:42 PM.

  15. #75
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,184
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Sure, and if you feel that way as an individual, it's your right not to go. But I'd say that a western touring team in England might be at least as much danger of a terrorist attack than one in Pakistan, as in the subcontinent, cricket unites like little else.
    If you're talking Pakistan as a whole compared to England or Australia as a whole, sure. But, as with everything in the news, the extreme examples are what people based their decisions on because when it comes to one's life, people don't want to play the percentages but are looking for certainties I guess. And, without putting too fine a point on it, you're a private citizen and not privy to threat assessments by intel agencies (neither am I any more so I'm not criticising). The perception is that the more dangerous parts of Pakistan are far worse than the more dangerous parts of England/Australia and it's hard to argue with that.

    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I certainly am not, nor ever have, disputed the player's rights to feel safe and not tour if they want. It's just cricket and it's not worth your life. That's not at issue here. The issue is what a national board, which is supposed to think with a logical mind and make decisions based on facts (rather than perceptions, emotion, etc) should do.
    Can't speak for the ECB but CA's position has generally been informed by DFAT (who inform all travel warnings for Australia) and then the decision regarding whether to go is fed back to them from the players. You can question DFAT's info as much as you like but they are the government department who deals directly with this, getting feeds from ASIO, ONA and FedPol who are tasked with collecting this info. For CA to ignore any of that would be the height of irresponsibility.

Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. O.k let's stop the digging.
    By cover drive man in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 11-08-2007, 07:47 AM
  2. Will the rain stop
    By chris.hinton in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-07-2007, 11:10 AM
  3. When does it stop being fun?
    By Goughy in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-11-2006, 03:32 AM
  4. I stop
    By kuifje in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-11-2005, 01:19 PM
  5. Please!Stop it!(necessary to read)
    By Behlol in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 02-08-2005, 05:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •