• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Championless Trophy? - stop the bs and go

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I am from peshawar in northern pakistan and the situation is pretty bad in this part of the country. Bin laden and his gang is literary just a few hundred Kms away, not to mention Taliban. But places like Lahore and Karachi are ok i think, last time i was in lahore 3 months ago and i saw many western tourists there. Though ofcourse i can understand why some countries dont want to tour, it is understandable.
Yeah, Peshawar's always been, well, somewhere I've been very wary of. England cricketers writing about being allowed to leave hotels only with armed guards and all. Most of the rest of Pakistan doesn't seem anywhere near so bad though.

MrHat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The fact is that a terrorist attack is much more likely to occur in Pakistan than Australia, England or India. This is a bit too much reality for some people.

Australia also shouldn't blindly follow Englands choices about where to tour, the ECB has left decisions about whether to tour up to the players even under death threats. CA aren't so diffident when it comes to player safety, as they are confident they'll be backed by the govt, which in Aus is generally less concerned about others opinions of it than those in the UK.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The fact is that a terrorist attack is much more likely to occur in Pakistan than Australia, England or India.
You're also more likely to die slipping on a wet floor and hitting your head on a sharp corner than you are sitting on your sofa and having a piano be dropped through the roof of your house on top of you.

Does that mean you should sit on the sofa all day and not risk getting up in case the floor's wet and you don't notice?

If the chance goes from exceptionally slim to fairly slim, it really doesn't mean you should decide not to risk it.

Now then, I can't say for sure that this is akin to the situation between Pakistan and the UK, but it sure as damn well seems like it to me.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
the point i am making is that these things can happen anywhere, even in supposed "safe" countries like England. While it is true that areas of Pakistan are inherently more unstable, I still think it is unreasonable to refuse to tour Pakistan, while still playing in India or England, where terrorist attacks have occurred in the past....its the inconsistencies that bother me.
Certainly it can happen anywhere, and I was of the view Australia should have toured Pakistan this year.
Nevertheless, the counter-argument to your point is probably "Yeah, it CAN happen anywhere, but it IS happening there at the moment".
Not saying it's right, but that's probably the argument.
Maybe just leave it to the players - if they don't want to go, then don't, but send a team. Aus A toured there last year after all.
Have to say though, based on what I know ATM, which isn't a very informed opinion as I haven't looked into it in detail, I wouldn't go.

Burgey

Because the only news we get here about Pakistan is when something goes bad there, so without looking into it further ATM, I wouldn't feel safe going there. And I have a young family. So I wouldn't want to go.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's pretty much exactly like that.
Right, because England is a volatile country where there's been unrest in one form or another for a while. Comparing what's basically a one off with Pakistan is ridiculous. There are obviously different levels of threat involved. I'm not saying Pakistan is extremely volatile mind you, but it's not the UK.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Right, because England is a volatile country where there's been unrest in one form or another for a while. Comparing what's basically a one off with Pakistan is ridiculous. There are obviously different levels of threat involved. I'm not saying Pakistan is extremely volatile mind you, but it's not the UK.
What does that mean for a tourist party though? You won't be touring northwest Pakistan, the rest of the country is safe, and cricketers are never targetted anyway.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What does that mean for a tourist party though? You won't be touring northwest Pakistan, the rest of the country is safe, and cricketers are never targetted anyway.
Right, but who is targetted? Is there some sort of plan the rest of us don't know about that means something will never happen where people who weren't supposed to be killed get killed? The incident with the NZ team years back indicates that things do happen and you can be in the wrong place and end up involved. If something does happen is there a get out where we can miraculously undo whatever damage occurs?

I'm sure living somewhere where this sort of stuff doesn't happen makes it seem like more of an issue than it is. But then I'd say living with it might also make people a little immune to the nature of any threat.

Top_Cat

Yes but for the players and their decision to go or not, what matters here is perception, not the facts so much. You're pretty much right and there's a whole lot of cricketers who tour the country that are still in possession of all their arms and legs. Conversely, when it comes to perception, England and Australia have a larger extremist element than they'd care to admit too.

But, informed or not, if individual players still have that queasy feeling about going and say things like "Sure no cricketers have been targetted..... yet.", etc. and use that as a basis for not going, they shouldn't be forced to go. Let CA decide the career consequences or contractuals, sure, but contractual obligations in a non-threatening job like being a sports star (unlike, say, when I was working for Police) shouldn't determine whether a player is at risk if they decide it's unreasonable.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yes but for the players and their decision to go or not, what matters here is perception, not the facts so much.
I agree. I don't blame the individual players.

But, informed or not, if individual players still have that queasy feeling about going and say things like "Sure no cricketers have been targetted..... yet.",
Sure, and if you feel that way as an individual, it's your right not to go. But I'd say that a western touring team in England might be at least as much danger of a terrorist attack than one in Pakistan, as in the subcontinent, cricket unites like little else.

I certainly am not, nor ever have, disputed the player's rights to feel safe and not tour if they want. It's just cricket and it's not worth your life. That's not at issue here. The issue is what a national board, which is supposed to think with a logical mind and make decisions based on facts (rather than perceptions, emotion, etc) should do.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Sure, and if you feel that way as an individual, it's your right not to go. But I'd say that a western touring team in England might be at least as much danger of a terrorist attack than one in Pakistan, as in the subcontinent, cricket unites like little else.
If you're talking Pakistan as a whole compared to England or Australia as a whole, sure. But, as with everything in the news, the extreme examples are what people based their decisions on because when it comes to one's life, people don't want to play the percentages but are looking for certainties I guess. And, without putting too fine a point on it, you're a private citizen and not privy to threat assessments by intel agencies (neither am I any more so I'm not criticising). The perception is that the more dangerous parts of Pakistan are far worse than the more dangerous parts of England/Australia and it's hard to argue with that.

I certainly am not, nor ever have, disputed the player's rights to feel safe and not tour if they want. It's just cricket and it's not worth your life. That's not at issue here. The issue is what a national board, which is supposed to think with a logical mind and make decisions based on facts (rather than perceptions, emotion, etc) should do.
Can't speak for the ECB but CA's position has generally been informed by DFAT (who inform all travel warnings for Australia) and then the decision regarding whether to go is fed back to them from the players. You can question DFAT's info as much as you like but they are the government department who deals directly with this, getting feeds from ASIO, ONA and FedPol who are tasked with collecting this info. For CA to ignore any of that would be the height of irresponsibility.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The perception is that the more dangerous parts of Pakistan are far worse than the more dangerous parts of England/Australia and it's hard to argue with that.
But you're not going to the Pakistan-Afghanistan border to play cricket as far as I know.

Can't speak for the ECB but CA's position has generally been informed by DFAT (who inform all travel warnings for Australia) and then the decision regarding whether to go is fed back to them from the players. You can question DFAT's info as much as you like but they are the government department who deals directly with this, getting feeds from ASIO, ONA and FedPol who are tasked with collecting this info. For CA to ignore any of that would be the height of irresponsibility.
Very interesting. From the DFAT:

We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in India because of the high risk of terrorist activity by militant groups.

We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in India because of the high risk of terrorist activity by militant groups. Pay close attention to your personal security at all times and monitor the media for information about possible new safety or security risks.

Terrorists are active in Jammu and Kashmir, particularly during the summer months. In the past, tourist buses and groups have been targeted. See also Civil Unrest/Political Tension (below).

You should be particularly vigilant in the lead up to and on days of national significance such as Republic Day (26 January) and Independence Day (15 August) as militants have used such occasions to mount attacks. Additional security measures may be imposed from time to time which may cause delays for road, rail and air passengers.

Terrorist attacks can occur anywhere in India. In planning your activities, consider the kind of places known to be terrorist targets and the level of security provided. There is also a risk of attacks in commercial and public areas and at events and places known to be frequented by foreigners. These include prominent government buildings, places of worship, markets and shopping malls, public transport networks, religious sites, pilgrimages and festivals and tourist sites. Recent attacks have included explosions at a market place, local courts, a cinema and local transport networks. These risks apply in all of India’s cities and tourist centres.

On 13 May 2008, there was a series of coordinated bomb blasts in the walled city area of Jaipur in the state of Rajasthan. 63 people were killed and over 200 injured.
Height of irresponsibility?

Last edited:

Top_Cat

But you're not going to the Pakistan-Afghanistan border to play cricket as far as I know.
Mate, you're preaching to the converted here; I'm with you, if some of the Aussies would just do a bit of reading and talk to the right people, they'd see it's probably going to be okay. I'd go if I was playing. But I'm also not about to mess with someone's individual choice.

Very interesting. From the DFAT:

Height of irresponsibility?
Nah, DFAT put out different warnings, certainly stronger ones than that for Pakistan generally. That one wouldn't be considered a warning to avoid the country altogether. Contrast that with the warning for Pakistan;

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Pakistan

From the page;

We strongly advise you to reconsider your need to travel to Pakistan at this time due to the very high threat of terrorist attack, sectarian violence and the unpredictable security situation. If you do decide to travel to Pakistan, you should exercise extreme caution. If you are in Pakistan and concerned for your safety, you should consider leaving if it is safe to do so.
Subtle difference perhaps but the Indian one is considered a lower-level warning whereas the Pakistan page is essentially saying "Avoid travelling here at all."

Could be worse, anyway, could be Sudan;

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Sudan

Last edited:

MrHat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Australia is not as concerned about terrorism in India as Pakistan because the violence in the former is local and political in nature, while the latter has a global jihad element to it. In other words they are more vunerable as the actual targets of militants rather than just innocent bystanders as they would be in India. If one were to just look at raw statistics, Pakistan is much more dangerous in general - bcos a massive bombing campaign just stopped going off a few months ago, the place is not suddenly safe. Not to the Western brain anyway.

Also if Queensland was being bombed at the rate of one a week, had the worlds foremost terrrorist living there, had madrasses as the only education option, had uncivilised elements perpeturting a war of civilisation against NSW + the world I wouldn't consider playing cricket in Cairns for an extended period.

biased indian

International Coach
Australia is not as concerned about terrorism in India as Pakistan because the violence in the former is local and political in nature, while the latter has a global jihad element to it. In other words they are more vunerable as the actual targets of militants rather than just innocent bystanders as they would be in India.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Have you ever heard of Kashmir....i am sure Australia will play an ODI in jammu if india scheduled it there...thats what moneys makes to u, money makes u feels safe..

i think Australia have played in guhwahati..which is the second most dangerous place in india after kashmir

if Asian bloke stand as one decide not to tour any other country boycotting any other Asian country we will not have this problem at all...

biased indian

International Coach
Subtle difference perhaps but the Indian one is considered a lower-level warning whereas the Pakistan page is essentially saying "Avoid travelling here at all."
Interestingly Aus played NZ in 2003 @ Nehru Stadium, Guwahati..which has the same level warning as Pakistan rite now..and would have been even more in 2003 considering there was more violence their during the last 10 yearshttp://www.cricketweb.net/australia/content/ground/58114.html