Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: Championless Trophy? - stop the bs and go

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Thought they didn't go in fear of facing a (now confirmed from the B sample) juiced up Asif.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Seems like, basically, Reg Dickason (who Cricket Australia has used for 12 years and they say has never let them down) visited Karachi during the Asia Cup on behalf of CA/NZ/ECB and has given a thumbs down, and Nicholls Steyn (who was engaged by the ICC and I'm sure is also a top security expert) had visited during the Asia Cup but also at other times over the last few months has been more positive.

Quick question... if the ICC wanted to persuade cricket Australia... why on earth didn't it take the Cricket Australia-trusted security expert along with them in their other visits to Pakistan?!

Meh, who actually thought they would go? Total non-story for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Expected. Hopefully, they use the same logic and not tour India, considering all the bombings recently. And their players boycott the IPL.
    India is a victim of terrorism and in Pakistan' case they are reaping what they sowed, Pakistan has been a breeding ground for terrorism for a long time now, but they never did anything to wipe off terrorism of their lands, as these terrorist groups were helping them inflict damage on India, but now that decision is coming back to haunt them.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Dickason, hired by Cricket Australia, New Zealand Cricket and the ECB, provided, broadly, "a very negative report based on a one-day stay in Karachi simply advising them not to tour" according to an official involved in the recent meetings between the ICC task force and Australian players.
    Haha. Classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    With all these so-called expert reports your never going to get you something that says the place to 100% safe or potential not safe to play. If people can live in these countries and perform their normal lives then there will always be a good chance the tour will go off without any problems. Though all it takes is a couple incidents and the place to meant to be unsafe. But how can you make an assessment in one day, that just stupid.

Still can't understand how anyone can say Pakistan is safer then Sri Lanka. You might not get targeted specifically. But a lot more people die every day in Sri Lanka and you have as much chance of getting caught up in collateral damage, as you do in a targeted attack in Pakistan.

The whole thing is double standards at it best. Part of me hopes something happens in Sri Lanka, to just show how stupid they are. If they force the tournment out of Pakistan for no good reason. But I wouldn 't wish that on anyone.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

International Vice-Captain Raghav's Avatar
    Today, 50 killed in Islamabad in a twin suicide attack!

I dont know why Pakistan still insist all the other teams to tour their country for the champions trophy. Its really ridiculous on their part to tell to ICC that they would boycott if all the teams wont tour Pakistan....
    Supported Indian Cricket from 1992-2000 (till the match fixing scandal)

Long Live Test Cricket

International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline
    How many times does the ICC have to decide on something before its final?
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Why don't the boxers have any head protection any more?
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Burgey submitted a class action suggesting they harden the **** up.

Can't blame any country for not going after reading this article.

A massive bomb blast killing at least 60 people and a declaration of war by the Taliban in Pakistan is alarming New Zealand cricketers set to play there next month.

Two suicide bombers overnight attacked Pakistan’s largest weapons manufacturing complex near Islamabad killing at least 60 people.

The Taliban claimed responsibility and said they were declaring war on Pakistan itself.

****, gone even FURTHER than any one could possibly go! Can't blame them for not touring, FTR.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    They've declared a war on India for decades. What's the big deal? And if I am not mistaken, they've done the same on the US. No one would visit the US either, right?

Again, perception overshadows reality. Doesn't really matter - the countries who won't tour had made their decision months ago. Nothing was going to convince them anyway. The tournament should go ahead without them, though the ICC have said it won't without teams like Australia. Sad end, unfortunately. But better than caving in to the sensationalists and moving it to an equally dangerous location.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 21-08-2008 at 08:09 PM.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    I like this measured article from Harsha Bhogle. Kind of sums it up for me portraying a level of understanding for both 'sides'.

http://www.indianexpress.com/story/351794.html

Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    I like this measured article from Harsha Bhogle. Kind of sums it up for me portraying a level of understanding for both 'sides'.

http://www.indianexpress.com/story/351794.html
    Agreed

Some teams were never going to go and the latest incident is the final excuse they need whilst others would always support Pakistan

As always, in my experience, Bhogle does a good job of trying to show both sides of the argument.

I would take issue with whether the 'chaos' and overflowing toilets have played much of a part in the decision making process. I think since the time of Steve Waugh the Aussies have been prepared to embrace the experience, and if there wasn't the terrorism/civil strife issue, the vast majority of the team would be very happy to go to Pakistan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    They've declared a war on India for decades. What's the big deal? And if I am not mistaken, they've done the same on the US. No one would visit the US either, right?

Again, perception overshadows reality. Doesn't really matter - the countries who won't tour had made their decision months ago. Nothing was going to convince them anyway. The tournament should go ahead without them, though the ICC have said it won't without teams like Australia. Sad end, unfortunately. But better than caving in to the sensationalists and moving it to an equally dangerous location.
    FFS, mate who wants to see Asia cup revisited.

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread Information