• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Championless Trophy? - stop the bs and go

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Firstly, Pakistan needs the money that comes from touring a country like Australia and secondly there's evidence the game's population is waning in Pak as well. Limit games to the usual suspects and even more people would turn off
No one goes to Test cricket anyway, before or now. I am not sure its about the money because the ECB offered a substantial sum to play elsewhere and they've refused in the past.

MrHat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Wow. Seriously something has to be done about this poster, been making comments like this from the moment he arrived.
Something has to be done about the Aussie bashing around here, been so since I've arrived.

MrHat

Absolute rubbish.

You had better stop spouting idiotic rubbish, because judging by the manner that you've posted so far, you're not wanted here.
So theres nothing wrong with describing concerns over player safety as BS around here. OK.

MrHat

they just need to go and play. there's a risk of danger anywhere you go, and that's like saying india, australia, whoever, refuse to tour england b/c of the terrorist attack in london a few years back. be consistent with your decisions, why does it always seem like the "western" countries are looking for an excuse not to play in the subcontinent? i guess players just can't acclimatize to the cusine and pollution and look for a convenient way out...
Take this comment, noone disagreed with this - as if Australia is as safe as Pakistan. Absolute bollocks.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, social an Aussie-basher. Probably the third-least-likely (second if sideshowtim's ban is a perm one) to do so on CW, really.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, social an Aussie-basher. Probably the third-least-likely (second if sideshowtim's ban is a perm one) to do so on CW, really.
Fortunately, aside from issues like this, there's not too much to bash

They've been the best side in the world for a decade and others, odd incident aside (such as Warne and drugs, for whom I advocated a life ban due to an accumulation of offences) are far worse behaved

Now if I was really, really biased, I would claim that 2 of my countrymen were better players than a foreigner despite the latter having a massive statistical and reputational advantage over either of the local pretenders :p

Langeveldt

Soutie
Nah I'm in slight agreement with Mr Hat. I find it strange how people who have never even been to a country can claim to be security experts.. I seem to remember SA pulling out of a tour to Sri Lanka after a bomb went off, and I was met with absolute hysteria when I claimed it might be unsafe to continue said tour.. I don't think anyone here can rightly suggest that Pakistan is a safe/unsafe place to tour.. There are too many variables and it's something for the professionals to decide..

The champions trophy shouldn't be happening anyway, so the fact we're having this argument in the first place is a bit of a farce..

Fusion

Global Moderator
Nah I'm in slight agreement with Mr Hat. I find it strange how people who have never even been to a country can claim to be security experts.. I seem to remember SA pulling out of a tour to Sri Lanka after a bomb went off, and I was met with absolute hysteria when I claimed it might be unsafe to continue said tour.. I don't think anyone here can rightly suggest that Pakistan is a safe/unsafe place to tour.. There are too many variables and it's something for the professionals to decide..
You do realize that plenty of us either live in the subcontinent or visit regularly? Of course we can form an opinion on whether it's safe there or not. Add to that the fact that no cricket team or individual has EVER been hurt while touring the subcontinent and I'd say the concerns are unfounded. As far as too many "variables" to consider, those exist in every country. There is an element of risk everywhere.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Nah I'm in slight agreement with Mr Hat. I find it strange how people who have never even been to a country can claim to be security experts.. I
Many of us have been to, or lived in, Sri Lanka, India, or Pakistan. The thing that gets to me is that they are completely inconsistent in applying their standards. Unless you think the Aussie team would leave England if something happened there.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
they just need to go and play. there's a risk of danger anywhere you go, and that's like saying india, australia, whoever, refuse to tour england b/c of the terrorist attack in london a few years back. be consistent with your decisions, why does it always seem like the "western" countries are looking for an excuse not to play in the subcontinent? i guess players just can't acclimatize to the cusine and pollution and look for a convenient way out...
Really it's nothing like that at all.

Mard

Banned
I am from peshawar in northern pakistan and the situation is pretty bad in this part of the country. Bin laden and his gang is literary just a few hundred Kms away, not to mention Taliban. But places like Lahore and Karachi are ok i think, last time i was in lahore 3 months ago and i saw many western tourists there. Though ofcourse i can understand why some countries dont want to tour, it is understandable.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I am from peshawar in northern pakistan and the situation is pretty bad in this part of the country. Bin laden and his gang is literary just a few hundred Kms away, not to mention Taliban. But places like Lahore and Karachi are ok i think, last time i was in lahore 3 months ago and i saw many western tourists there. Though ofcourse i can understand why some countries dont want to tour, it is understandable.
Pretty much sums up my view, its understandable why the teams may not want to go.

unccricket

School Boy/Girl Captain
Really it's nothing like that at all.
the point i am making is that these things can happen anywhere, even in supposed "safe" countries like England. While it is true that areas of Pakistan are inherently more unstable, I still think it is unreasonable to refuse to tour Pakistan, while still playing in India or England, where terrorist attacks have occurred in the past....its the inconsistencies that bother me.