Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Championless Trophy? - stop the bs and go

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Not for me sir. Although, I can understand why you would think so.
    With all due respect to your opinions on this i just thought if everyone started to had similar reasoning and the basis you had on the matter than no team would have ever toured pakistan since the start of war in iraq (or afghanistan for that matter).
    Wasim Akram: The most sKiLlFuL bowler in history!

Mcgrath said he is fond of the genius "Akram would power through the crease and do whatever he wanted with the old and new ball"

Allan Border "If I ever get a chance to be reborn as a cricketer, I would want to be Wasim"

Richards, Tendulkar and Waugh described Akram as the most dangerous bowler they had ever faced.

> > > Wasims Magic Delivery. Late Swing. Hatrick. < < <

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    I wonder if it was based on proper security reports and analysis or just a vote along the traditional lines.
    It has to be based on the report, its a matter of security for the players and nothing goes beyond that.

India just played there and was absolutely fine so I have no problem with them supporting the bid and having it pushed through.

Now time to kick back and watch the fallout I guess. Can see a lot of withdrawals happening.

U19 Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Champions Trophy stays in Pakistan

Iím obviously pleased with the decision. I hope that all players will chose to attend. However if they donít, I will respect their decision no matter how much I disagree with it.

Sorry, I take the opposite view. This is piss poor by ICC (not the first time). Has ICC ever disagreed with BCCI ever since their rise in dollar value?

As soon as BCCI said they support Pakistan, ICC panicked and changed their views despite the dodgy reports. The same reports that were sent to Cricket Australia, England, South Africa and New Zealand who all have their concerns about the fact that "security is not guaranteed to the players' safety."

I personally have nothing against sending teams there, but when reports are as volatile as that, and given ICC's track record, this is hard to take.

Now we will see a Champions' Trophy compromised and could very well be as farcical (and dangerous) as the WOrld Cup.
    http://allblacklineout.com

The Vettori brain massage session:

@#!@#@#$#@$ !@#@!#!@~ YEA EAT THAT!! !@#~!@!@#!@#

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie1 View Post
    Sorry, I take the opposite view. This is piss poor by ICC (not the first time). Has ICC ever disagreed with BCCI ever since their rise in dollar value?

As soon as BCCI said they support Pakistan, ICC panicked and changed their views despite the dodgy reports. The same reports that were sent to Cricket Australia, England, South Africa and New Zealand who all have their concerns about the fact that "security is not guaranteed to the players' safety."
    Are you saying that security can be GAURANTEED in any other country? Even Australia and England may not be able to provide such an assurance. It would be impractical to demand such a guarantee from anyone. Also, from the reports Iíve read, the South African board were supportive of Pakistan, and they got the same security briefings as others.

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie1 View Post
    I personally have nothing against sending teams there, but when reports are as volatile as that, and given ICC's track record, this is hard to take.

Now we will see a Champions' Trophy compromised and could very well be as farcical (and dangerous) as the WOrld Cup.

I am continually frustrated by this reasoning. The track record of the ICC and the PCB is 100% stellar when it comes to assessing terrorist threats. No player has ever been hurt or targeted by a terrorist in the history of the game! So when the PCB (or ICC if you prefer to blame them) says ďitís safe to tourĒ, they have a pretty good track record of backing up that statement.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Are you saying that security can be GAURANTEED in any other country? Even Australia and England may not be able to provide such an assurance. It would be impractical to demand such a guarantee from anyone.
    Indeed. No-one can ever say for certain 100% that a player won't be set upon by an escaped bull or fall down the double-decker bus stairs sideways. OR that they won't be taken hostage by thieves holding the entire hotel they're staying in to ransom.

Life just doesn't work like that. Safety is never guaranteed. It's always a percentage, which is never 0 and never 100.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Very Happy with the decision. Those who feel secure can go, those who do not, well, I can certainly understand.

The last thing they want is a torumanment that is not full-strength. As Leslie said, it was a BCCI decision based, like Australia v India. Australia, NZ, SA & England not to send full-strength side. WTF happens if a player dies?
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

U19 Captain
    Are you saying that security can be GAURANTEED in any other country? Even Australia and England may not be able to provide such an assurance. It would be impractical to demand such a guarantee from anyone. Also, from the reports I’ve read, the South African board were supportive of Pakistan, and they got the same security briefings as others.

I am continually frustrated by this reasoning. The track record of the ICC and the PCB is 100% stellar when it comes to assessing terrorist threats. No player has ever been hurt or targeted by a terrorist in the history of the game! So when the PCB (or ICC if you prefer to blame them) says “it’s safe to tour”, they have a pretty good track record of backing up that statement.
    Your frustration might be better served if ICC had made the better decision to go to Sri Lanka instead.

Let's put pros and cons in perspective. Forget who's right and whats wrong.

If Champions Trophy had gone to Sri Lanka (which is being prepared as the backup)... you get full participation from all 8 countries, no questions asked.

Now that you compromised by putting this 'fear' out there (BCCI, ICC politics aside) in sending teams to Pakistan instead knowing full well that there will be farcical under-strength teams turning your 2nd biggest tournament into a joke,

which is the more sensible option here? (edit: sensible in the sense that you get a better sporting spectacle with full strength sides)

A better question is, which countries are more likely to NOT send their full strength teams if the decision went either way? Is BCCI going to go as far as to say, we won't send our team to Sri Lanka (ironic they are there now), because ICC (you) opted out of Pakistan as the venue?

Farcical.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    After all the bombed off NZ tours in Sri Lanka, with all due respect to them I'd be more worried about Sri Lanka than Pakistan.

I'm not fully aware of the current level of terror activity or dangerous activity in general in Pakistan but I guess if the report and the descision to go are at odds with each other then I can understand players being nervous about going, especially with the media spotlight in troubles in the Middle East these days. I understand the concerns of the withdrawing players because if I'd had a bunch of negative reports shoved under my nose I'd definitely be thinking twice about going.

Its disappointing the tournament will be a bit of a joke with under-strength teams being sent along. The positives though is that perhaps a few excellent players will be discovered and have their chance to shine. It would certainly save the tournament some face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    [QUOTE=morgieb;1634262]The last thing they want is a torumanment that is not full-strength. As Leslie said, it was a BCCI decision based, like Australia v India. Australia, NZ, SA & England not to send full-strength side. WTF happens if a player dies?[/QUOTE]

To state the obvious, all hell would break loose at the next ICC meeting and the affected team would definitely withdraw from the tournament. Unlikely they would go back for a while as well. However, from the sound of it players dying will be highly unlikely and I hope the situation does not arise.

Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    The last thing they want is a torumanment that is not full-strength. As Leslie said, it was a BCCI decision based, like Australia v India. Australia, NZ, SA & England not to send full-strength side. WTF happens if a player dies?
    Even if it was a BCCI decision I don't see why they're being criticised by people for it(not necessarily on here though). They just sent a full strength side there and the tour went off without any problems whatsoever. Why shouldn't they support the tournament staying in Pakistan if in their opinion it's absolutely safe to send their own team there?

As for a player dying? That could happen anywhere in any number of circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    Even if it was a BCCI decision I don't see why they're being criticised by people for it(not necessarily on here though). They just sent a full strength side there and the tour went off without any problems whatsoever. Why shouldn't they support the tournament staying in Pakistan if in their opinion it's absolutely safe to send their own team there?

As for a player dying? That could happen anywhere in any number of circumstances.
    That's true, but my point was that teams/players are likely to boycott it.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Are you saying that security can be GAURANTEED in any other country? Even Australia and England may not be able to provide such an assurance. It would be impractical to demand such a guarantee from anyone. Also, from the reports Iíve read, the South African board were supportive of Pakistan, and they got the same security briefings as others.
    It can't be guaranteed anywhere, but it's also naive to attempt to start all countries off on equal footing when it comes to any perceived threat. Talking about this as if there's a starting point for all teams from which they should consider any threat in exactly the same way makes no sense. What South Africa does is their business, same goes for NZ, India, Australia, Sri Lanka and so on.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by godofcricket View Post
    Its amazing how some people can manage to come to such a ridiculous conclusion.

Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread Information