• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Championless Trophy? - stop the bs and go

Fusion

Global Moderator
It can't be guaranteed anywhere, but it's also naive to attempt to start all countries off on equal footing when it comes to any perceived threat. Talking about this as if there's a starting point for all teams from which they should consider any threat in exactly the same way makes no sense. What South Africa does is their business, same goes for NZ, India, Australia, Sri Lanka and so on.
I’ll concede that countries can’t start on equal footing when it comes to security. Obviously Pakistan is more dangerous than say England in terms of perceived threats. However, it would also be unfair and the height of impracticality to demand “guaranteed security” from Pakistan. No country can give such a guarantee for any individual or group. All you can expect is that proper measures are taken in order to deal with the perceived threat. IMO, Pakistan has taken those measures. The overwhelming majority of the cricket boards agree with that as well. If individual players disagree with their own boards or the governing body’s decision, then they have the right to pull-out without any penalties. I think that the ICC have arrived at the best possible compromise with that decision.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Very Happy with the decision. Those who feel secure can go, those who do not, well, I can certainly understand.
Nah, cricket teams shouldn't be comprised of just players "who feel comfortable touring".. Not a great situataion to be honest..

Beleg

International Regular
the security will be so tight that the only spectators at the games would be policemen.

watching cricket in pakistan has become akin to running a gauntlet owing to the 'security measures' and 'red tape' sorrunding it.

Fusion

Global Moderator
the security will be so tight that the only spectators at the games would be policemen.

watching cricket in pakistan has become akin to running a gauntlet owing to the 'security measures' and 'red tape' sorrunding it.
That’s an unfortunate price to pay for hosting a tour. At least those willing to put up with the security measures still have the option to go see live matches. Not to mention the fact that a home tour brings in awareness/publicity that an away tour can’t.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Actually I would like to see a world wide boycott of India, but that won't happen as the $$$ is all the matters.
Money talks. As Neil Diamond said, it don't sing and dance and it don't walk, but it talks. It's as fruitless complaining about that as it is throwing stones at the moon.

You might as well save your breath, or your fingers.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Money talks. As Neil Diamond said, it don't sing and dance and it don't walk, but it talks. It's as fruitless complaining about that as it is throwing stones at the moon.

You might as well save your breath, or your fingers.
Until of course one of their own suffers the consequences. Can you imagine if Tendulkar gets assassinated in Pakistan. I'm surprised Players' Association in India doesn't put their players' welfare first. Money does talk, especially to BCCI.

http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/iccct2008/content/current/story/362377.html

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's been a fair few opportunities for Tendulkar to be murdered in Pakistan.

Hasn't happened yet, nor does anything resembling it appear to have.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Until of course one of their own suffers the consequences. Can you imagine if Tendulkar gets assassinated in Pakistan. I'm surprised Players' Association in India doesn't put their players' welfare first. Money does talk, especially to BCCI.

http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/iccct2008/content/current/story/362377.html
Maybe the Indian players' association know the world isn't bubble and there is as much chance of something happening in India as there is in most parts of Pakistan. Or then again we should all just use the logic of the South African, English, New Zeland and Australian boards and not play any cricket in the sub continent. As in theory there is no way you can ensure complete safety in most places in that region.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Maybe the Indian players' association know the world isn't bubble and there is as much chance of something happening in India as there is in most parts of Pakistan. Or then again we should all just use the logic of the South African, English, New Zeland and Australian boards and not play any cricket in the sub continent. As in theory there is no way you can ensure complete safety in most places in that region.
Funny that. I don't claim to know the mentality of the terrorists, but you can argue there is more chance of a Western getting targetted than Asians.

Cricket Australia has officially pulled out by the way, I just heard it in the news. Can anyone confirm this?

Edit: this is the best article I'd find googling.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24077311-5001023,00.html

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Funny that. I don't claim to know the mentality of the terrorists, but you can argue there is more chance of a Western getting targetted than Asians.

Cricket Australia has officially pulled out by the way, I just heard it in the news. Can anyone confirm this?

Edit: this is the best article I'd find googling.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24077311-5001023,00.html
I guess that why bombs only go off when westerns are in the country.

Don't have a problem really if Australia pull out. The only issue is the double standards when they still tour other countries with similar problems. If they pull out of this, they should pull out of India series and IPL. But they wont as money talks not logic.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You could argue that point, but you'd be wrong. Unless you forget the little matter of the India-Pakistan issues.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well it definitely looks like several of the boards will pull out. ICC has really screwed this up by withdrawing the normal fines for not touring. Individual players can do what they like, but you'd like to think that the boards would be more discerning.

In any case, I do hope the champions trophy goes ahead in Pakistan even if it means only 4-5 countries are playing. Moving it would be the worst possible option.

As I said before, bombs went off in Bangalore today, and they went off in Jaipur during the IPL. I hope the world is watching and I hope the countries who are set to tour later this year remain consistant in their stand. Especially, as if they say, it is only the player's safety that matter, and its not any other issue influencing their judgement.

Flem274*

123/5
If only 4-5 countries go in the end, and we still go, I'd almost rather we sent an NZ development side because doing well in a depleted tournament would feel a bit hollow imo.

Flem274*

123/5
Can't imagine why the boards would be inconsistent in their rulings this year. Personally the lure of winning a major ODI trophy and then deciding not to go anyway would set the standard you would think. If teams that pull out tour later this year I'd be surprised.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I’ll concede that countries can’t start on equal footing when it comes to security. Obviously Pakistan is more dangerous than say England in terms of perceived threats. However, it would also be unfair and the height of impracticality to demand “guaranteed security” from Pakistan. No country can give such a guarantee for any individual or group. All you can expect is that proper measures are taken in order to deal with the perceived threat. IMO, Pakistan has taken those measures. The overwhelming majority of the cricket boards agree with that as well. If individual players disagree with their own boards or the governing body’s decision, then they have the right to pull-out without any penalties. I think that the ICC have arrived at the best possible compromise with that decision.
Yeah of course, you can't guarantee security. Letting each country decide whether they think what Pakistan can offer in terms of security is good enough in their opinion is the right way to go.

Just out of interest, was there a vote to keep this in Pakistan amongst the various cricket boards or was it purely the ICC's decision?

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah of course, you can't guarantee security. Letting each country decide whether they think what Pakistan can offer in terms of security is good enough in their opinion is the right way to go.

Just out of interest, was there a vote to keep this in Pakistan amongst the various cricket boards or was it purely the ICC's decision?
A vote based from the various boards. West Indies, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, India and the Assoicates voted in favour. With Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and England voting against.