Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36

Thread: Champions Trophy Groups

  1. #1
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,684

    Champions Trophy Groups

    apologies if there's a thread on this
    from cricinfo

    ---

    The groups for this September's Champions Trophy in Pakistan have been announced by the ICC, and India, Pakistan and Australia have been seeded together.

    Group A comprises of defending champion and top seed Australia along with India, Pakistan and the West Indies while Group B is made up of the winner of the inaugural event, South Africa, as well as New Zealand, Sri Lanka and England. The groupings were made on the basis of teams' rankings in the ICC ODI Championship table on March 12, the agreed cut-off date.

    It was decided in 2005 that from 2008 the tournament would only include the top eight one-day sides exactly six months before the start of the tournament. As a result, Bangladesh, Ireland and Zimbabwe, who hold the last three places in the table, miss out.

    The two groups will be played on a round-robin format with the top two sides progressing to the semi-finals. The full tournament schedule and information regarding venues will be announced by the ICC in due course.

    Group A Australia (1), India (4), Pakistan (5), West Indies (8)
    Group B South Africa (2), New Zealand (3), Sri Lanka (6), England (7)
    ----

    predictions anyone? say if this was to be played tomorrow?

    Semi Finals-
    Australia vs South Africa
    India vs Sri Lanka

    Final
    Australia vs India (of course )

    ----
    for Oz, we should go through with India..however we are with two of the most inconsistent teams that can beat anyone (arguable) on their day (mayb windies without lara ..perhaps not...but Pak is a big danger team at home too..)

    Yousuf Younis Akhtar Asif and a group of young talented guys... hmmm...
    Last edited by Laurrz; 13-03-2008 at 07:17 AM.

  2. #2
    Banned sideshowtim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,255
    A lot can happen between now and then so I'll save my predictions for a while...

  3. #3
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,684
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowtim View Post
    A lot can happen between now and then so I'll save my predictions for a while...
    true - rephrased
    too tough to tell at this instance
    interesitng i believe thats aussies next odi match ..the first match of this tourny

  4. #4
    Banned sideshowtim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurrz View Post
    true - rephrased
    too tough to tell at this instance
    interesitng i believe thats aussies next odi match ..the first match of this tourny
    Nah, we have a 5 match ODI series in the Windies and the 3 match ODI series against the Bangers before then.


  5. #5
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jason Koumas is having a party
    Posts
    48,136
    It's pretty obvious that England will win this tournament
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

    SWA

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  6. #6
    You'll Never Walk Alone Nate's Avatar
    Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New South Wales
    Posts
    26,907
    GeraintIsMyHero is my hero.
    Jesus saves

    proudly supporting Liverpool FC

  7. #7
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,684
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowtim View Post
    Nah, we have a 5 match ODI series in the Windies and the 3 match ODI series against the Bangers before then.
    oh haha, still long time then

    no real testing teams in that lot..but will give us good momentum if we win i suppose lol

  8. #8
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    24,353
    Saffas to win their first tournament in however long.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain



    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

    I'm Green

    The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

  9. #9
    International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline
    Posts
    4,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurrz View Post

    It was decided in 2005 that from 2008 the tournament would only include the top eight one-day sides exactly six months before the start of the tournament. As a result, Bangladesh, Ireland and Zimbabwe, who hold the last three places in the table, miss out.

    Wow they've even forgotten Kenya are on the ICC ODI Championship table or did they slip out for lack of matches against other teams on the table
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    All these Broad fans are no doubt Kohli fans too. Fans of tosspot wankers.

  10. #10
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurrz View Post
    apologies if there's a thread on this
    from cricinfo

    ---

    The groups for this September's Champions Trophy in Pakistan have been announced by the ICC, and India, Pakistan and Australia have been seeded together.

    Group A comprises of defending champion and top seed Australia along with India, Pakistan and the West Indies while Group B is made up of the winner of the inaugural event, South Africa, as well as New Zealand, Sri Lanka and England. The groupings were made on the basis of teams' rankings in the ICC ODI Championship table on March 12, the agreed cut-off date.

    It was decided in 2005 that from 2008 the tournament would only include the top eight one-day sides exactly six months before the start of the tournament. As a result, Bangladesh, Ireland and Zimbabwe, who hold the last three places in the table, miss out.

    The two groups will be played on a round-robin format with the top two sides progressing to the semi-finals. The full tournament schedule and information regarding venues will be announced by the ICC in due course.

    Group A Australia (1), India (4), Pakistan (5), West Indies (8)
    Group B South Africa (2), New Zealand (3), Sri Lanka (6), England (7)
    ----

    predictions anyone? say if this was to be played tomorrow?

    Semi Finals-
    Australia vs South Africa
    India vs Sri Lanka

    Final
    Australia vs India (of course )

    ----
    Good. Hope we get another excellent tournament. Encouraging to see they might be planning to stick with the successful format employed last time.

    BTW, for anyone who might know: are we having a seperate forum again, as in 2004 and 2006? If so, surely needs to be opened fairly promptly?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  11. #11
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    24,353
    Wonder if Australia will tour tbh. Maybe Bangladesh will get a game.

  12. #12
    Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    18,574
    Tough group.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

    R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

  13. #13
    State Vice-Captain laksh_01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,175
    I feel Icc should intraduce Knock Out instead of round robin format... Come on guys it looks like world cup from the second stage...
    Friends, I've started a group for all the WCL fans on facebook. So, who ever is interested pls join... Search "Non-Test Cricket Playing Nations!" in facebook. Thanks...

    Cricket Is The Best Sport On Earth, It Deserves More Respect, More Partispating Nations & More Fans. Lets Do Our Best To Spread The Game, Friends.

    <<<<<LAKSH>>>>>

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by laksh_01 View Post
    I feel Icc should intraduce Knock Out instead of round robin format... Come on guys it looks like world cup from the second stage...
    ...except India and Pakistan are involved.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:


    MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

  15. #15
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by laksh_01 View Post
    I feel Icc should intraduce Knock Out instead of round robin format...
    The tournament was a Knockout Trophy rather than a Champions Trophy in its first 2 editions. I much prefer the Champions to Knockout format, TBH. Means no-one travels all that way for 1 game.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. ICC Champions Trophy Champions-> WEST INDIES
    By biased indian in forum ICC Champions Trophy 2004
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-09-2004, 12:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •