• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin reacts to the presentation

Dravid

International Captain
Was just catching up with the news, and there was a press conference with Sachin, where the little master was upset in the Australian team on how they reacted after getting the Champions Trophy.

If you all remember, when the Australian team was up on stage to receive the trophy, Ricky Ponting used a hand gesture to tell Powar to hand over the trophy, and then one of the Australian member, (I think it was Shane Watson, I could be wrong) pushed Powar out of the way.

Sachin reacted saying that he was disappointed in the Australian team, and they should have respected their elders and such great figures in the Cricket World.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you agree with Sachin that it was wrong?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
So Pawar is a great figure ? It sure is wrong, but media is blowing it out of proportion.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
SRT is usually a pretty cool customer, so it must have been something for him to go public over it.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
are we talking about sharad powar here? he is anything but a great figure, in fact the opposite of that...didn't see the presentation ceremony so can't comment on the appropriateness of how they accepted the trophy...anyway, it's probably no big deal....:)

shortpitched713

International Captain
What a farce. Sachin can't expect everyone to follow his values of "respecting elders" and other such old world bo***cks. If Powar was taking too long to honor a hard-earned Australian victory, then he should have been pushed out of the way, hes not the center of attention.

adharcric

International Coach
shortpitched713 said:
What a farce. Sachin can't expect everyone to follow his values of "respecting elders" and other such old world bo***cks. If Powar was taking too long to honor a hard-earned Australian victory, then he should have been pushed out of the way, hes not the center of attention.
That attitude seems insolent and flippant almost. Pawar is not some legendary figure but if he's handing out an honor, he should be treated with some respect.
Still, this is virtually a non-issue. No big deal at all.

R_D

International Debutant
shortpitched713 said:
yeah how dare he expect someone to respect elders 8-)
Fact that these values are still taught in some parts of the world.:wacko:

Anyway its probaly a non-issue.... Pawar was probaly trying to hogg the limelight..

R_D

International Debutant
shortpitched713 said:
Everyone is saying that it is a non-issue. Then why did Sachin go public with it, pray tell?
He was asked by the journalists and of course he responded how he felt about it. Pawar is the presdent of BCCI afterall.

I saw the video on you tube and well Pawar did look like an idiot standing there but aussie players could've shown bit of respect for the president of BCCI.. the board thats hosting the ICC Champs trophy by askign to move rather than shoving him out of the way. But no suprise there really when have aussis players ever shown any respect to anyone.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Dravid said:
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/iccct2006/content/current/story/267095.html

Articles on cricinfo now, interesting how they didn't even mention Sachin saying it was rude.
Miss this?

Sachin Tendulkar, who usually prefers to stay silent on most controversial matters, also took a swipe at the Australians. "I was not watching the proceedings but from what I heard, it was unpleasant and uncalled for," Tendulkar said at a sponsors' function in Mumbai on Monday. "Firstly, it should never have happened. It's important to show respect to a person who is so dear to the cricketers and is involved with cricket. Such incidents should be avoided."

Dravid

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Miss this?

Sachin Tendulkar, who usually prefers to stay silent on most controversial matters, also took a swipe at the Australians. "I was not watching the proceedings but from what I heard, it was unpleasant and uncalled for," Tendulkar said at a sponsors' function in Mumbai on Monday. "Firstly, it should never have happened. It's important to show respect to a person who is so dear to the cricketers and is involved with cricket. Such incidents should be avoided."
Turns out I did.

Slow Love™

International Captain
I would urge anybody interested to view the youtube footage here.

I actually found it really funny. It was all good natured - Pawar was just standing there, frozen with the trophy, either like a deer in the headlights wondering where to go, or like "wow, they're all cheering ME - usually they're booing".

The Aussies seemed to find it amusing, and gently ushered him out from in front as he struggled to get out of the way. I would have laughed even more if it had been Malcolm Speed.

Perhaps there's a cultural misunderstanding involved (though I think some of the participants are looking for something to get inflamed about), but I think anyone looking at it (and it's notable to point out that Tendulkar didn't see it) that it was all a bit of fun and nothing hostile.

pasag

RTDAS
I was watching it and laughing so hard. The guy either had no idea what was going on or was expecting to be in a photo with the team, either way I've never seen that before.

Xuhaib

International Coach
One of the comments at youtube: "disgusting, i hope the indian team get the motivation to get back at them on the field"

:laugh: :laugh:

telsor

U19 12th Man
I haven't seen it, but...looking at some of the comments..

'respect for elders' Vs 'officials stealing the limelight from players'.

Then consider that most of the people complaining about the australians actions showed no respect for the 'elder' Darrell Hair, and complained of him making himself the center of attention.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
This is the biggest storm in a teacup I've seen in a fair while in cricket. The idea that anyone is actually offended by that is absurd.