• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin reacts to the presentation

Dravid

International Captain
Rajeev said:
Forget the shamless behaviour from the aussies

Their media has gone one step ahead

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20715825-2882,00.html

Read the paragraph below Bush's Picture

The champions return: Australian cricket captain Ricky Ponting and some of his players arrived back in Sydney with the ICC Champions Trophy today after their success in Italy. On the other side of the country, Damien Martyn landed in Perth and launched a verbal broadside at bowling legend Dennis Lillee. Picture: Phil Hillyard
Now that is just ridiculous. How the hell do you mess up India with Italy?

Dravid

International Captain
adharcric said:
I love how the media showed the "Martyn push" six or seven times to make sure the viewers got incensed and enraged as hell.
Then they go on to say how Pawar's insult is an insult to India, Indian cricket and every Indian. :D
That's what the Indian media is best at. I was watching it on TV and they kept on showing it over and over and over again like 20 times. I was like jesus is that all you can do to make people get on your side?

Dravid

International Captain
adharcric said:
Then they showed the results of a poll asking whether Martyn had insulted India and 96% said yes. :wacko:
They had videos of people on the street with a dummy of Ricky Ponting sitting on a donkey, than taking their shoes and hitting the dummy in front of the camera. Gotta love the Indian public.

Dravid

International Captain
Jono said:
Haha the guy in the blue shirt is looking at the guy with the bandana as if saying...

"Are you happy now? The whole world will see us!"
I would really love to see how Martyn responds after seeing that picture.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Jono said:
Lol what? I don't get what you mean. Refused water? Killed a pidgeon? Who was upset?

I believe Kapil killed one of those birds (I was too sure it was a pigeon earlier.) while batting by one of his shots and was really shaken up by it. (It is a big deal to kill anything for most normal Indians.) And so he asked for some water from the dressing room, but AB (behaving like the jerk he is) refused it and asked him to get on with the game.

And BTW, it was interesting reading that Harmison regrets not checking on Ponting or apologizing to him after what happened in the first Ashes test. I seem to remember Javagal Srinath hitting Ponting with a bouncer and then apologizing to him, only for Punter to launch a tirade of abuse at poor Srinath. I get the feeling that Harmison was well advised to stay out of Punter's way after he gave him that blow.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
It`s been over a year and Ponting hasn`t said anything. Stop trying to pick a fight.

pasag

RTDAS
Ponting has just said he will apologize to Pawar. Seriously, the members on this forum who go on about how he is a spoiled brat, ****ing piss me off. Grow up.

R_D

International Debutant
Nnanden said:
It`s been over a year and Ponting hasn`t said anything. Stop trying to pick a fight.
You might have missed the DLF incident with Sachin and all.
Ponting sure acted like his usual idiotic self there.

Dravid

International Captain
pasag said:
Ponting has just said he will apologize to Pawar. Seriously, the members on this forum who go on about how he is a spoiled brat, ****ing piss me off. Grow up.
Don't blame anyone besides the Indian media. Indian media is absolutely stupid, they have no idea what the hell they are talking about, they are full of propaganda, they will get the stupidest ****, and make it more important than whats going on in Iraq or anything in the world. The worst part of it all, more than 90% of India believes it!!!

The media just needed a story about Cricket now that India didn't win the CT, so they decided to attack the Australian team. I mean Pawar him self doesn't give a ****, but they are still making a big deal about it as if Martyn picked Pawar up, and threw him off the stage after getting the trophy.

Indian media does nothing but make fools out of people so they can make money. They had a story of Greg going to a fashion show after a couple of days India got eliminated from the CT. And you know what their story was? Greg doesn't give a crap about India's performance. WTF!? The guy goes to a fashion show and thats the story you bring out? Doesn't he have any time to him self?

You know why this turned so big? Because they knew if someone big like Sachin, who didn't even watch the event, and was just talking from what he heard, said something bad about the Aussies, and then the media kept on showing it over and over again and kept on showing Sachins comments over and over again. All of India started believing what the media said, and now its a huge issue.

I hate the Indian media with passion.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
pasag said:
Haha Passag you know deep down Ponting's a jackass. ;) He's got far too much credit in the bank of being a dick for saying he'll apologise (he shouldn't have to anyway, but meh) to suddenly make it all go away. He knows he's on thin ice with Cricket Australia, that's why.

Compare the way Ponting acts to how Gilly behaved when he was leading Aus vs. India back in 2004, and Kaif wanted a runner. Gilly's against runners, and by providing him with one he was only disadvantaging his team, but the way he went about his case was exemplary.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol what you still doing awake? Quoted before I could even edit and add some to my post :p

Anyway, our heroes can still be dicks.

Eg. Me and Richo :D

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting can be a bit of a tool at sometimes, but the way everyone carries on about him can get a little irritating at times. Even when Ponting does something decent people have a go at him about it, and the slightest infraction on his part (or on the part of the Australian team) is blown way out of proportion, particularly on this forum.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
pasag said:
Exams are over and I'm never going to sleep again.
Exams are over already for you?

I only had my first on Tuesday. I got 3 to go, my last is on Nov 23 :wacko:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
FaaipDeOiad said:
Ponting can be a bit of a tool at sometimes, but the way everyone carries on about him can get a little irritating at times. Even when Ponting does something decent people have a go at him about it, and the slightest infraction on his part (or on the part of the Australian team) is blown way out of proportion, particularly on this forum.
At the end of the day the fact is, Ponting acts like a tool more often than pretty much every current player around.

What are some examples of Ponting doing something decent and people criticising him about it? Or was that just some random statement with no basis at all?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
At the end of the day the fact is, Ponting acts like a tool more often than pretty much every current player around.

What are some examples of Ponting doing something decent and people criticising him about it? Or was that just some random statement with no basis at all?
Captains agreements about catches, for instance. Whether or not you think the agreement should be in place, Ponting made a concerted effort to arrange an agreement with other captains which would presumably benefit the game, and it was generally rejected. People then had the temerity to accuse Ponting of being a hypocrite when he didn't walk on the word of fielders from the very teams that refused to make the agreement in the first place.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Surely Jayawardene's case, and Bravo's at the ICC CT, was proof that Ponting's crusade was a little misguided at the highest level with all the money and reputations on the line in international cricket. Its all well and good to take the fielder's word at club level when playing a friendly game, but I reckon his crusade was rejected rightfully by the rest of the captains.

I realise that's not the point you're making, but the reason people jumped at the chance to have a go at Ponting was because it was so bloody ironic. Its a final, Ponting, the man who himself started this whole affair regarding taking the fielder's word, was the person rejecting it. I don't reckon he was to blame, but if he really believed in it he'd probably do it anyway wouldn't he? Otherwise what are his intentions.

I realise it'd be to the detriment of his team to take the fielder's word whilst all other teams don't, but it was quite odd. And when you compare the scenario to Gilly, who walks whether his team is in trouble or not, I think the 'moral' stand is a little different. Ponting obviously wasn't so passionate about the issue, that's what (most) people were taking issue with.

Mind you, that's one flimsy incident as an example. Its an incredibly loose statement, to suggest that people have a go at him when he acts decently. The fact that in the last 3 months he's been singled out as acting like an idiot is simply because he's done so. Captains such as Graeme Smith and Inzy get heavily criticised on here when they do the same, and Ganguly copped more than Ponting does when he was at the helm of Indian cricket.