• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin reacts to the presentation

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
i saw the footage and still don't see what the big deal is....they didn't exactly push him off the podium, more like a gentle nudge on the back and he didn't seem to be unduly bothered by it as well...

adharcric

International Coach
Slow Love™ said:
Well, they were laughing, and he appeared to take it in good humor.

Reversing the situation is kinda pointless, given that this is obviously something of a cultural difference (and I'm being a bit generous with that assessment, 'cause obviously there are Indians not offended by it at all). I imagined the situation reversed initially when I viewed the footage, and I couldn't see any difference, to be honest. The only exception I could think of would be if it involved somebody already intensely disliked in Australia, where the media would be looking to beat it up and make a bigger deal of it than it was. But that would still be the media's issue, rather than that of the people on stage. If it could have happened to our PM, it would have been perfect, but I would have found it funny if it had happened to someone like Richie Benaud too.
Regardless of what you say, it was a rude, inappropriate and childish gesture by the Australians. I can understand that they were overjoyed by victory and all that, but that's no excuse to lose your sense of respect. It's not even about respect for elders ... just respect, period. This shouldn't be blown overboard if the Aussies understand the small mistake they made. As for Pawar taking it the right way, that's a reflection of his behavior and not the Aussies'.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
Well, they were laughing, and he appeared to take it in good humor.

Reversing the situation is kinda pointless, given that this is obviously something of a cultural difference (and I'm being a bit generous with that assessment, 'cause obviously there are Indians not offended by it at all). I imagined the situation reversed initially when I viewed the footage, and I couldn't see any difference, to be honest. The only exception I could think of would be if it involved somebody already intensely disliked in Australia, where the media would be looking to beat it up and make a bigger deal of it than it was. But that would still be the media's issue, rather than that of the people on stage. If it could have happened to our PM, it would have been perfect, but I would have found it funny if it had happened to someone like Richie Benaud too.
I wasn't talking about you personally, but in gneral how something like this would have been taken in Australia is someone like Ganguly/Ranatunga/Inzi did to president of Cricket Australia.

Looking at how much bad press and fan hatred Ganguly got for allegedly making Steve Waugh wait for few minutes, I think it would be really bad.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
In pretty much every major tournament I have seen, whoever hands over the trophy does so, and buggers off. Pawar was unsure what to do, Martyn gently showed him the way off and the photographs were taken.

:laugh: The use of the word pushed is so un-needed. Evokes an image of Martyn shoulder-barging Pawar off the stage, grabbing the trophy mid-flight and yelling abuse at the crowd.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
I love how the media showed the "Martyn push" six or seven times to make sure the viewers got incensed and enraged as hell.
Then they go on to say how Pawar's insult is an insult to India, Indian cricket and every Indian. :D
Well, you know how the media is. They dont have anything better to report, so stretch non-issues like this and bore people to death.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
adharcric said:
Regardless of what you say, it was a rude, inappropriate and childish gesture by the Australians. I can understand that they were overjoyed by victory and all that, but that's no excuse to lose your sense of respect. It's not even about respect for elders ... just respect, period. This shouldn't be blown overboard if the Aussies understand the small mistake they made. As for Pawar taking it the right way, that's a reflection of his behavior and not the Aussies'.
Ponting initiated a hand-shake and posed for a photograph with Pawar still holding onto the trophy. That`s more than most trophy-presenters get. Pawar was standing right in front of the team. He was guided out of the way. Gah.

Slow Love™

International Captain
adharcric said:
Regardless of what you say, it was a rude, inappropriate and childish gesture by the Australians. I can understand that they were overjoyed by victory and all that, but that's no excuse to lose your sense of respect. It's not even about respect for elders ... just respect, period. This shouldn't be blown overboard if the Aussies understand that they made a small mistake.
Eh, maybe. I guess I just don't get it. Sincerely, it's not like I'm averse to criticising the Australian team's behaviour, particularly Ponting. But I really think there is nothing in this. I guess we will just have to disagree on this, 'cause my purpose is certainly not to ridicule people who were offended, even if I just don't really see why you would be.

Perhaps the Aussie team will issue a token apology to smooth things over, given that it seems a misunderstanding has occurred. But I genuinely don't think there was a problem here, before the press decided to beat it up.

adharcric

International Coach
Sanz said:
Well, you know how the media is. They dont have anything better to report, so stretch non-issues like this and bore people to death.
Then they showed the results of a poll asking whether Martyn had insulted India and 96% said yes. :wacko:

adharcric

International Coach
Slow Love™ said:
Eh, maybe. I guess I just don't get it. Sincerely, it's not like I'm averse to criticising the Australian team's behaviour, particularly Ponting. But I really think there is nothing in this. I guess we will just have to disagree on this, 'cause my purpose is certainly not to ridicule people who were offended, even if I just don't really see why you would be.

Perhaps the Aussie team will issue a token apology to smooth things over, given that it seems a misunderstanding has occurred. But I genuinely don't think there was a problem here, before the press decided to beat it up.
Pretty much. Ponting and Martyn got a little caught up in victory celebrations but it's not a big deal and certainly nothing close to what the media is making it out to be. End of story.
I have more to say, especially in response to Nnanden, but I'll shut up to avoid further discussion. :p

Last edited:

Slow Love™

International Captain
Sanz said:
I wasn't talking about you personally, but in gneral how something like this would have been taken in Australia is someone like Ganguly/Ranatunga/Inzi did to president of Cricket Australia.

Looking at how much bad press and fan hatred Ganguly got for allegedly making Steve Waugh wait for few minutes, I think it would be really bad.
I kinda wonder at the purpose of asking me how other people would react, but in general in Australia, this kind of thing isn't taken that seriously, because of the whole larrikin ideal. Granted, I could see a section of the media trying to beat it up, and you may even see a section of the population get up in arms about it, but the majority of us would be laughing and wishing they'd stop embarrassing us. You can never say nobody will be offended.

But we're talking about a country where an earlier PM put his hand on the queen's ass, and around half the population thought that was cool (and funny). And that's a far more serious breach of protocol than this could ever be.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Apparently Gavaskar is too a little upset, particularly with the fact that when one player received his medal he went "Hiya Buddy" to Pawar.

I've got $5 it was Watson, just seems something the jackass would do.

Slow Love™

International Captain
The thing that still gets me about that presentation is, how on EARTH did Watson pinch the MOM from Bracken? I was absolutely shocked.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
If it was picked without seeing the game, I could easily see how Watson could get it. But yeah, Bracken should've won it.

In other news, effigies of Martyn to be burnt in the street?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well, the media will find out that Chappell told Martyn to push Pawar, and so they'll get back to burning Chappell effigies :D

adharcric

International Coach
dontcloseyoureyes said:
If it was picked without seeing the game, I could easily see how Watson could get it. But yeah, Bracken should've won it.

In other news, effigies of Martyn to be burnt in the street?
Apparently, the fans on the street are getting more creative these days.
One clip showed them painting a (real) donkey with Aussie colors and Martyn's name on his back. :laugh:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, I can't believe people here are beating this up as well. I expected it from cricket media, but not from posters here.

The Australian team wanted to pose with the trophy for pictures, as there was a horde of people with cameras in front of the podium. Pawar was standing in the way and looking like he wasn't sure what to do. Martyn nudged him so he would get out of the way. Pawar laughed the incident off.

That's all there is to it, people. If it happened in Australia, not only would people not get offended, I doubt it would even be reported on. It's such a non-issue it's unbelievable.

pasag

RTDAS
FaaipDeOiad said:
Haha, I can't believe people here are beating this up as well. I expected it from cricket media, but not from posters here.

The Australian team wanted to pose with the trophy for pictures, as there was a horde of people with cameras in front of the podium. Pawar was standing in the way and looking like he wasn't sure what to do. Martyn nudged him so he would get out of the way. Pawar laughed the incident off.

That's all there is to it, people. If it happened in Australia, not only would people not get offended, I doubt it would even be reported on. It's such a non-issue it's unbelievable.
Yeh spot on. I'm abit disappointed at some of the comments here.