Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The best thing about this tournament for me

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar

The best thing about this tournament for me

As I have mentioned elsewhere, I have seen little of this tournament. However, looking at the results, reports etc, it seems that we can look forwards to a very, very good super 8 in the World Cup. Every team has had at least one win thus far, and as such no teamk has dominated. I think it's a shame I have missed this tournament on the mostpart, and it seems to have been very good thus far. But it really does bode well for the World Cup, and I reckon the Super 8 might result in one of the most exciting and unpredictable WCs that we have had?

thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

I've enjoyed it immensely. Particularly when you add the unpredictability and the different types of wickets that have been produced compared to the normal ones for ODIs.

CT has been a success this year IMO.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    The crowds, while never being anywhere remotely near full, have been larger than those in England or in Sri Lanka. The restoration of parity between bat and ball has also been enjoyable and the format has most definitely been a success. As much as I hate the Champions Trophy has a principle, it does produce some interesting cricket and results.

The potential re-emergence of the Windies as a genuine world force is a huge plus for mine. Much as football needs Brazil & Rugby Union needs the All Blacks I think cricket needs the Windies. They play the sport in a different way.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

yep, thats why if Australia can get out of that potential war in the super eight next year and win the world cup it will be a greater achievement IMO that the wins in 99 & 2003.

International Debutant Pedro Delgado's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    The potential re-emergence of the Windies as a genuine world force is a huge plus for mine. Much as football needs Brazil & Rugby Union needs the All Blacks I think cricket needs the Windies. They play the sport in a different way.
    Brazil sadly is all about Nike these days, well has been since the '98 final really; the team I used to love is now a marketing machine.

More of a League man myself, don't think NZ have won a World Cup at Union so I'm not sure where you're going with that, I'm a romantic so can sort of see what you mean, supporting the men who ultimately have no balls etc but play attractively, they are the Croatia of rugby perhaps, such a little place.

As for West Indies, bollocks. I remember the days of the black washes, the Islands' juggernaut that had no sympathy for anyone; they can have another few years in the wilderness for me.

E2A: and really, a few wins in a warm up for the WC isn't really a "re-emergence of the Windies", they need to start winning Test series', plus they lost to us which is unforgivable in ODIs if you fancy yourself.
    Last edited by Pedro Delgado; 28-10-2006 at 07:12 PM.
    Member of the Rosalie Birch Appreciation Society (RBAS)
    Member of CVAAS - go Joe

You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    I'm the church and I've come
    To claim you with my iron drum
    la la la la la la la la la la

The wolves are running..

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Yup, I hate to admit it but it has definatly been a success so far.

Close games, good contest between the bat and the ball, and the subcontinent flat track bullies harshly put in their place.

Can't ask for more IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

I've enjoyed bits of it, Tendulkar and Lara batting for example.

England, quite rightly, treat it as warm up for the WC; sweaty buffoons like Yardy and Dalwotsit won't be around by next year one would hope, they have been found wanting and leave the field in ignominy; if we want to compete we must play our Test side or near as damn it, Read is a laughable Notts idiot, what else could one expect.

It's batting practice for the Ashes really for Bell and Strauss et al, good to see Fred getting some overs in too, we were due to finish bottom and we haven't let anybody down.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    don't think NZ have won a World Cup at Union
    Hey you, we won the first World Cup in 1987

Ahhch soz, fair play then.

Shoulda won more though

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    I've enjoyed bits of it, Tendulkar and Lara batting for example.

England, quite rightly, treat it as warm up for the WC; sweaty buffoons like Yardy and Dalwotsit won't be around by next year one would hope, they have been found wanting and leave the field in ignominy; if we want to compete we must play our Test side or near as damn it, Read is a laughable Notts idiot, what else could one expect.

It's batting practice for the Ashes really for Bell and Strauss et al, good to see Fred getting some overs in too, we were due to finish bottom and we haven't let anybody down.
    Yeah but you're looking at it from an English cricket fan's perspective, not a cricket fan's perspective. I'm not going to judge the tournament on the fact that England are playing crap players, I'm judging it on the fact there's been good cricket. Couldn't care less about whether England are warming up for the Ashes or not.

I try not to forget that cricket is a world sport, and not just for the colonials.

Quote Originally Posted by James
    Hey you, we won the first World Cup in 1987
    Says the man who now lives in Syndey and wants to be an Australia citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    For me it's been the even contest of the bat and ball, we haven't seen any scores over 300 in normal pool play if I remember correctly but once a batsman bats themselves in it becomes far easier for them than it first looked. As for NZ, we have performed well so far and if we put up a good fighting game in the semifinal then I will be very happy, if we win even better.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    Much as football needs Brazil... I think cricket needs the Windies.
    I always felt that Pakistan was the Brazil of cricket, if only because all of the players are reffered to only by their first names.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    I much prefer ODIs where sides are chasing between 240 & 280. When tournament scores are regularly 280+ it kind of kills the contest. Given that the pitches in the Windies are likely to lead to those bigger scores I don't think much can be taken from this tournament in regards to predictions for the WC.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information