• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best thing about this tournament for me

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
As I have mentioned elsewhere, I have seen little of this tournament. However, looking at the results, reports etc, it seems that we can look forwards to a very, very good super 8 in the World Cup. Every team has had at least one win thus far, and as such no teamk has dominated. I think it's a shame I have missed this tournament on the mostpart, and it seems to have been very good thus far. But it really does bode well for the World Cup, and I reckon the Super 8 might result in one of the most exciting and unpredictable WCs that we have had?

thoughts?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I've enjoyed it immensely. Particularly when you add the unpredictability and the different types of wickets that have been produced compared to the normal ones for ODIs.

CT has been a success this year IMO. :)

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
The crowds, while never being anywhere remotely near full, have been larger than those in England or in Sri Lanka. The restoration of parity between bat and ball has also been enjoyable and the format has most definitely been a success. As much as I hate the Champions Trophy has a principle, it does produce some interesting cricket and results.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The potential re-emergence of the Windies as a genuine world force is a huge plus for mine. Much as football needs Brazil & Rugby Union needs the All Blacks I think cricket needs the Windies. They play the sport in a different way.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
yep, thats why if Australia can get out of that potential war in the super eight next year and win the world cup it will be a greater achievement IMO that the wins in 99 & 2003.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
BoyBrumby said:
The potential re-emergence of the Windies as a genuine world force is a huge plus for mine. Much as football needs Brazil & Rugby Union needs the All Blacks I think cricket needs the Windies. They play the sport in a different way.
Brazil sadly is all about Nike these days, well has been since the '98 final really; the team I used to love is now a marketing machine.

More of a League man myself, don't think NZ have won a World Cup at Union so I'm not sure where you're going with that, I'm a romantic so can sort of see what you mean, supporting the men who ultimately have no balls etc but play attractively, they are the Croatia of rugby perhaps, such a little place.

As for West Indies, bollocks. I remember the days of the black washes, the Islands' juggernaut that had no sympathy for anyone; they can have another few years in the wilderness for me.

E2A: and really, a few wins in a warm up for the WC isn't really a "re-emergence of the Windies", they need to start winning Test series', plus they lost to us which is unforgivable in ODIs if you fancy yourself.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yup, I hate to admit it but it has definatly been a success so far.

Close games, good contest between the bat and the ball, and the subcontinent flat track bullies harshly put in their place.

Can't ask for more IMO.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
I've enjoyed bits of it, Tendulkar and Lara batting for example.

England, quite rightly, treat it as warm up for the WC; sweaty buffoons like Yardy and Dalwotsit won't be around by next year one would hope, they have been found wanting and leave the field in ignominy; if we want to compete we must play our Test side or near as damn it, Read is a laughable Notts idiot, what else could one expect.

It's batting practice for the Ashes really for Bell and Strauss et al, good to see Fred getting some overs in too, we were due to finish bottom and we haven't let anybody down.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pedro Delgado said:
I've enjoyed bits of it, Tendulkar and Lara batting for example.

England, quite rightly, treat it as warm up for the WC; sweaty buffoons like Yardy and Dalwotsit won't be around by next year one would hope, they have been found wanting and leave the field in ignominy; if we want to compete we must play our Test side or near as damn it, Read is a laughable Notts idiot, what else could one expect.

It's batting practice for the Ashes really for Bell and Strauss et al, good to see Fred getting some overs in too, we were due to finish bottom and we haven't let anybody down.
Yeah but you're looking at it from an English cricket fan's perspective, not a cricket fan's perspective. I'm not going to judge the tournament on the fact that England are playing crap players, I'm judging it on the fact there's been good cricket. Couldn't care less about whether England are warming up for the Ashes or not.

I try not to forget that cricket is a world sport, and not just for the colonials.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For me it's been the even contest of the bat and ball, we haven't seen any scores over 300 in normal pool play if I remember correctly but once a batsman bats themselves in it becomes far easier for them than it first looked. As for NZ, we have performed well so far and if we put up a good fighting game in the semifinal then I will be very happy, if we win even better.

shortpitched713

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
Much as football needs Brazil... I think cricket needs the Windies.
I always felt that Pakistan was the Brazil of cricket, if only because all of the players are reffered to only by their first names.

Mister Wright

I much prefer ODIs where sides are chasing between 240 & 280. When tournament scores are regularly 280+ it kind of kills the contest. Given that the pitches in the Windies are likely to lead to those bigger scores I don't think much can be taken from this tournament in regards to predictions for the WC.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Jungle Jumbo said:
The crowds, while never being anywhere remotely near full, have been larger than those in England or in Sri Lanka.
After Manjrekar made a comment that cricket fans in India are Indian cricket mad and not cricket mad specifically seeing the crowds we have had in this tournament, I have seen a lot of musing over the crowds in the tournament over all. While that may not exactly be a direct consequence of the Manjrekar comment, it is still a bit irritating.

Firstly, all matches of the tournament are in 3-4 venues. It cannot be expected that people will throng all matches when they have options and will obviously prefer matches they find more competitive. The home team matches will obviously have larger crowds. Also, stadiums are quite large as far as capacity is concerned.

The atmosphere in the West Indies-Australia match was tremendous and that wasn't a match India was playing. A fairly large crowd though still not 100% full stadium. I am quite happy with the crowd numbers we have seen and expecting larger crowds as some people have done at various ends would be a big mistake in the first place.

andyc

Best part so far has been the dominance of bowlers, rather than batsmen. And just some good, close games.

Mister Wright

andyc said:
Best part so far has been the dominance of bowlers, rather than batsmen. And just some good, close games.
Couldn't agree more. Be it ODIs or tests, I hate it when bat dominates so much over ball that there is no contest.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mister Wright said:
Couldn't agree more. Be it ODIs or tests, I hate it when bat dominates so much over ball that there is no contest.
Exactly. The India-Pakistan test match not so long ago had a lot of runs but was one of the worst matches ever.