Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The best thing about this tournament for me

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo
    The crowds, while never being anywhere remotely near full, have been larger than those in England or in Sri Lanka.
    After Manjrekar made a comment that cricket fans in India are Indian cricket mad and not cricket mad specifically seeing the crowds we have had in this tournament, I have seen a lot of musing over the crowds in the tournament over all. While that may not exactly be a direct consequence of the Manjrekar comment, it is still a bit irritating.

Firstly, all matches of the tournament are in 3-4 venues. It cannot be expected that people will throng all matches when they have options and will obviously prefer matches they find more competitive. The home team matches will obviously have larger crowds. Also, stadiums are quite large as far as capacity is concerned.

The atmosphere in the West Indies-Australia match was tremendous and that wasn't a match India was playing. A fairly large crowd though still not 100% full stadium. I am quite happy with the crowd numbers we have seen and expecting larger crowds as some people have done at various ends would be a big mistake in the first place.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Best part so far has been the dominance of bowlers, rather than batsmen. And just some good, close games.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc
    Best part so far has been the dominance of bowlers, rather than batsmen. And just some good, close games.
    Couldn't agree more. Be it ODIs or tests, I hate it when bat dominates so much over ball that there is no contest.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright
    Couldn't agree more. Be it ODIs or tests, I hate it when bat dominates so much over ball that there is no contest.
    Exactly. The India-Pakistan test match not so long ago had a lot of runs but was one of the worst matches ever.

Quote Originally Posted by James
    Hey you, we won the first World Cup in 1987
    Doesnt make any difference.

International Debutant Pedro Delgado's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Yeah but you're looking at it from an English cricket fan's perspective, not a cricket fan's perspective. I'm not going to judge the tournament on the fact that England are playing crap players, I'm judging it on the fact there's been good cricket. Couldn't care less about whether England are warming up for the Ashes or not.

I try not to forget that cricket is a world sport, and not just for the colonials.
    Yeah cool. Was a little worse for wear when I posted that.

Carry on.
    Member of the Rosalie Birch Appreciation Society (RBAS)
    Member of CVAAS - go Joe

You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    I'm the church and I've come
    To claim you with my iron drum
    la la la la la la la la la la

The wolves are running..

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    Brazil sadly is all about Nike these days, well has been since the '98 final really; the team I used to love is now a marketing machine.

More of a League man myself, don't think NZ have won a World Cup at Union so I'm not sure where you're going with that, I'm a romantic so can sort of see what you mean, supporting the men who ultimately have no balls etc but play attractively, they are the Croatia of rugby perhaps, such a little place.

As for West Indies, bollocks. I remember the days of the black washes, the Islands' juggernaut that had no sympathy for anyone; they can have another few years in the wilderness for me.

E2A: and really, a few wins in a warm up for the WC isn't really a "re-emergence of the Windies", they need to start winning Test series', plus they lost to us which is unforgivable in ODIs if you fancy yourself.
    I think someone once said of Brazil that England may've invented football, but Brazil perfected it. That's pretty much what I mean with the ABs & the Windies. They might not have won Bill since 1987, but the All-Blacks play Rugby with an instinct & a verve that we can only aspire to. Where our backs see a wall of defenders, their best players see the space. When one sees the best Brazilians they look like they might have been designed with football in mind; with the profusion of Maori, Samoan & Tongan blood in NZ one can say the same of New Zealanders & Rugby.

I guess because they were so dominant in my formative years the idea of the Windies being the premier test nation has stuck with me. In the 80s the idea of us taking a test from them, much less a series, seemed insane. Their bowling may've lacked variety & even much subtlety, but one couldn't help but marvel at the athleticism of yer Marshalls, yer Bishops & yer Pattersons.

I agree with what you say about the Windies not sympathising with our plight over the nigh-on three decades they consistently rolled us over but much as you despair of Nike's involvement with Brazil, all the reports of the influence of (shudder) American sports in the Caribbean brings out my peculiarly English paternalistic concern for their future as a cricketing nation. I'll only be happy when they're dicking us 5-zip again.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    The potential re-emergence of the Windies as a genuine world force is a huge plus for mine. Much as football needs Brazil & Rugby Union needs the All Blacks I think cricket needs the Windies. They play the sport in a different way.
    It is really important they have a good World cup for the future of cricket in the carribean and the tournament. Would be great to see them win it and its not an impossibility.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    def. think it has been one of the better ODI tournaments of all time.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Quote Originally Posted by andmark
    Doesnt make any difference.

for me WI too, its good to see them doing well after very long time, I think last time they won CT was a fluke, its not gonna be this time if they do manage to win it

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    I agree with what you say about the Windies not sympathising with our plight over the nigh-on three decades they consistently rolled us over but much as you despair of Nike's involvement with Brazil, all the reports of the influence of (shudder) American sports in the Caribbean brings out my peculiarly English paternalistic concern for their future as a cricketing nation. I'll only be happy when they're dicking us 5-zip again.

The impact of American sports is over exaggerated.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib
    The impact of American sports is over exaggerated.
    How so? From what I've read and hear, the average kid in Windies today is far more enamored with Basketball than Cricket (with football outpacing both). You hear otherwise?

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion
    How so? From what I've read and hear, the average kid in Windies today is far more enamored with Basketball than Cricket (with football outpacing both). You hear otherwise?
    Do you mean the American kind or the real kind?

U19 Vice-Captain pietersenrocks's Avatar
    My fav match was the most unimportant match-Eng vs WI

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information