• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Teams that will do well at World Cup 2007

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Going by the Champions Trophy performances , there are some Teams already on top of their game and are ready and set to do extremely well at the World Cup now only 5 months away . There are few Teams (including my Team SL) which are over rated and promise a lot , but when it comes to the crunch , they struggle .

From the performances at CT I feel, West Indies at home will be one of the most improved Teams and threatening to win the Cup at home. Australia as usual will be one of the top challengers , while India, Pakistan and NZ will be the outsiders for the cup.

Your opinions please.

I rank them thus -
1 West Indies (at home) = Australia

3 India = New Zealand

5 Pakistan (minus Akhtar/Asif)

Last edited:

haroon510

International 12th Man
West indies considering the fact that they are playing in thier own grounds. Sir Lanka would be in good shape also

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
IND won't do well at all in WI, history shows, plus lack of quality bowlers will pretty much assure a losing campagin.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just thinking that. Hopefully NZ will do alright if Bond is still injury free, with Astle, Styris, Vettori and Patel the NZ bowling attack might go quite well considering the slow, low pithces that will be the standard in the West Indies. Fleming will again need to lead from the front though.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Perm said:
Just thinking that. Hopefully NZ will do alright if Bond is still injury free, with Astle, Styris, Vettori and Patel the NZ bowling attack might go quite well considering the slow, low pithces that will be the standard in the West Indies. Fleming will again need to lead from the front though.
The ODI pitches this year had some life in them though, especially early on.

tooextracool

International Coach
I have to say that when you compare the top 7 teams, there isnt really a glaring difference between them as we've seen in the champions trophy. I think we can expect a really competitive world cup this time around. I certainly cant see Australia going undefeated throughout like they did last time.

tooextracool

International Coach
India might not win because their ability to win crunch games isnt very good. But they are certainly capable of giving any team a run for their money. I also think they need Ganguly back at the top of the order in ODIs for the wc.

tooextracool

International Coach
India might not win because their ability to win crunch games isnt very good. But they are certainly capable of giving any team a run for their money. I also think they need Ganguly back at the top of the order in ODIs for the wc.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
India might not win because their ability to win crunch games isnt very good. But they are certainly capable of giving any team a run for their money.
And that's true for our games against Bangladesh, Kenya and Zimbabwe as well.

Scaly piscine

Same teams as I've said all along, Australia, West Indies and England if they're injury free. I thought Pakistan might come into it but probably not now they've got players facing bans and Woolmer hasn't managed to sort out all the politics and disharmony. South Africa will probably make the semis but I can't see them winning.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
australia obviously...other than that...the hosts are experiencing a mini revival in the shortened version of the game and on home ground will probably do well, new zealand always does well in one dayers, so does south africa, sri lanka has the potential to bounce back after a dismal champions trophy, on the downside, i can't see pakistan going too far without asif & akhtar, india have been downright pathetic for sometime now and it might be well too much to expect the same kind of miraculous resurrection we witnessed in 2003, england have maintained their crappy one day form at the champions trophy and are too reliant on kp and flintoff to win games for them...

R_D

International Debutant
Scaly piscine said:
Same teams as I've said all along, Australia, West Indies and England if they're injury free. I thought Pakistan might come into it but probably not now they've got players facing bans and Woolmer hasn't managed to sort out all the politics and disharmony. South Africa will probably make the semis but I can't see them winning.
If England have Vaughan, Simons and whoeverelse fit.. i just don't see how any team could possibly stand at same ground as them... they'll blow them apart 8-)

One moment the english fan apparently don't give a tosh about ODI's and next moment they are talking there team as the next great thing to happen. I guess all this optimism must have come after chasing that 272 against WI's i assume.

Anyways Aus fav but it'll alot closer than last world cup. I would've said Pakistan would've been right up their if Shaoib and Asif didn't go for drugs. Possibly SA, NZ and even SL will do pretty well if pitches are slow. I don't rate india's chances too well, our batting's looking bad and that used to be our plus point and bowling's never been good. So whatever india acheive at world cup will be bonus really, because i don't really have my hopes up.

Scaly piscine

R_D said:
If England have Vaughan, Simons and whoeverelse fit.. i just don't see how any team could possibly stand at same ground as them... they'll blow them apart 8-)

One moment the english fan apparently don't give a tosh about ODI's and next moment they are talking there team as the next great thing to happen. I guess all this optimism must have come after chasing that 272 against WI's i assume.
Err I just said they'd do well if they had their first team... At the World Cup there won't be one eye on the Ashes or some other Test series like there usually is, so they'll do better than usual anyway (which isn't that difficult). It only takes 2-3 players to fill in the holes and make the team go from losing most of the time to winning most of the time.

It is still a case of Ashes >>>>> World Cup and the same goes for over 90% of England supporters according to cricinfo.