Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 89

Thread: Teams that will do well at World Cup 2007

  1. #46
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    Simon Jones would certainly be a big improvement over Mahmood, I don't care what Simon Jones' record is like, he competed alright with Australia when he was fit against them - the best ODI batting lineup he'll face.
    and by competing alright against them, you mean his fantastic average of 51.67 @4.74 against Australia. He was so miserable infact that he was supersubbed out instead of Darren Gough during that series.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

  2. #47
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,307
    Quote Originally Posted by irfan
    Yep. Agree with Jono here

    1. Australia
    2. daylight
    3. SAf, NZ,Pak, IND, WI, SL
    4. ENG
    5. BAN
    6. ZIM + others
    disagree. Australia maybe number 1, but WI and NZ at least are not very far behind. WI are 2-2 with Australia in the last year and you could argue that they should be 3-1 against them if they hadnt had that horrible collapse in the DLF cup.

  3. #48
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    England took something off Australia in a final, a full strength Australia at that. They are the only team other than possibly SL in the past 6 years to do that, SL won a game in a best of three against a slightly weakened side but got got completely crushed in the next two games so lost in the end. NZ have only beaten weakened Australia sides in fairly meaningless games (and they're bound to win the odd one because they play each other so much), once Australia wants to win something badly enough NZ are brushed aside like most other sides, especially now they're a real force again. Only England and WI have displayed the mental strength (and talent) to beat them when it counts for something, at high strength.
    I presume high strength for you, is when Australia includes a woefully out of form Gillespie and Kaspa, as well as an out of touch Ponting. You do realise there was a reason why this "high strength" Australia side lost to Bangladesh in the same series right? Could it be because half of them were actually quite rusty? Once they actually started to get their groove back, England could only manage 1 win in a conditions affected game.

  4. #49
    International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Your mom's house
    Posts
    3,557
    I think we've basically confirmed in this thread what we already knew. SP massively overrates England and cannot stand the idea that little old inbred, backward New Zealand might be better than them.

    Why bother arguing?


  5. #50
    Cricketer Of The Year Anil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tattooine
    Posts
    9,727
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    I'd give you India & Pakistan but NZ & SRI are debatable.
    india is playing pathetically poor one day cricket at the moment but they are still easily better than england...i would think they'd struggle to beat a pakistan even sans akhtar & asif as well...

  6. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by 16 tins of Spam
    I think we've basically confirmed in this thread what we already knew. SP massively overrates England and cannot stand the idea that little old inbred, backward New Zealand might be better than them.

    Why bother arguing?
    What we've confirmed is most people over-rate NZ, a team that has no chance whatsoever of winning the World Cup unless someone knocks Australia out for them or Australia lose about 20 players to injury in the Ashes.

    England when and if they have all their players fit can compete with any team at any format. Tho no doubt I've put that in big writing for you lot most of you will manage to miss it, again, and come up with some rubbish about how I rate the present England ODI side.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:


    MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

  7. #52
    Hall of Fame Member _Ed_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Auckland, Aotearoa
    Posts
    19,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    England when and if they have all their players fit can compete with any team.
    So can NZ. I removed your "in any format", because we play nowhere near enough tests to be a competitive team in that form of the game, and we're rubbish anyway. But I mean in ODIs.

  8. #53
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago (Trinidad)
    Posts
    36,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    England when and if they have all their players fit can compete with any team at any format.
    When has the England team had all their players fit?
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."


  9. #54
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago (Trinidad)
    Posts
    36,795
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_
    So can NZ. I removed your "in any format", because we play nowhere near enough tests to be a competitive team in that form of the game, and we're rubbish anyway. But I mean in ODIs.
    Indeed, because Shane Bond is leagues better than any English bowler. For that matter, Kyle Mills is a better ODI bowler than any English bowler.

  10. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_
    So can NZ. I removed your "in any format", because we play nowhere near enough tests to be a competitive team in that form of the game, and we're rubbish anyway. But I mean in ODIs.
    So that explains why Australia keep beating you then, even with weakened sides - think it is now 2 wins out of the last 18 against them now for you lot and one of those wins involved one of the worst Australian sides for a decade or so (the other was a dead rubber).

    Then add in NZ's inability to raise their game whenever it means something, such as in a World Cup. They've no realistic chance of winning the World Cup and no realistic chance of beating a high strength Australia when they're up for it.
    Last edited by Scaly piscine; 03-11-2006 at 11:02 AM.

  11. #56
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,512
    Quote Originally Posted by 16 tins of Spam
    That's only because England won last time. When they lose them again the sporting public will revert to not giving a toss about cricket at all.
    Too true, where are all the bandwagon jumping rugby union fans from a few years back? It only needs England to win a World Cup and lose the Ashes for it to all suddenly change importance..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.

  12. #57
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago (Trinidad)
    Posts
    36,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    Then add in NZ's inability to raise their game whenever it means something, such as in a World Cup. They've no realistic chance of winning the World Cup and no realistic chance of beating a high strength Australia when they're up for it.
    When last has England risen to win something meaningful (in ODI cricket)?!

  13. #58
    International Coach grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Not looking at the flowers.
    Posts
    13,944
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    When last has England risen to win something meaningful (in ODI cricket)?!
    I think you'll find thats never, which shows a scary consistency, all you other nations that blot your record with wins should quake.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

  14. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    When last has England risen to win something meaningful (in ODI cricket)?!
    The hadn't won the Ashes for two decades either til last year.

    As for not rising to an occasion in ODIs just look at the stuff I've already mentioned.

  15. #60
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    Indeed, because Shane Bond is leagues better than any English bowler. For that matter, Kyle Mills is a better ODI bowler than any English bowler.
    Id love to hear your argument as to how Kyle Mills is a better bowler than Flintoff. Actually whether Kyle Mills is a better bowler than Jon Lewis is debateable.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Cup pitches questionable
    By Hazza in forum World Cup 2007
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-10-2006, 07:47 AM
  2. Michael Hussey - best ODI batsman in the world?
    By FaaipDeOiad in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 20-09-2006, 11:34 AM
  3. ***Official** World Cup 2007
    By James in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13-09-2006, 09:41 PM
  4. The greatest World Cup matches of all-time
    By GIMH in forum 2006 Football World Cup - Germany
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 28-06-2006, 01:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •