Cricket Player Manager
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 141

Thread: No Asians ?

  1. #106
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Dravid
    Won't happen
    true

  2. #107
    U19 Captain Great Birtannia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    687
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Love™
    Where Great Birtannia went wrong is probably the overall comment that they bring their best game to the big tourneys, period. 'Cause they have a tendency to look red-hot in the preliminary rounds before they blow it all in a semi or a final (or final series).
    My general feeling with the tournaments is that the consistent sides will win through the preliminaries and anything can happen from there. South Africa have disintegrated at the last couple of world cups when it has come to the crunch, the Klusener/Donald mix up and then the misunderstanding of the duckworth lewis charts eliminating them last time around, but after Australia I would say that they are the second most consistent side going around in ODI cricket, afterall they did level Australia's mark of consecutive one day victories last year. The VB series I have just dismissed because of their injuries, they ended up down to a third string bowling attack in the finish.

  3. #108
    International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Birtannia
    My general feeling with the tournaments is that the consistent sides will win through the preliminaries and anything can happen from there. South Africa have disintegrated at the last couple of world cups when it has come to the crunch, the Klusener/Donald mix up and then the misunderstanding of the duckworth lewis charts eliminating them last time around, but after Australia I would say that they are the second most consistent side going around in ODI cricket, afterall they did level Australia's mark of consecutive one day victories last year. The VB series I have just dismissed because of their injuries, they ended up down to a third string bowling attack in the finish.
    They did it in '96, too. Won every one of their group games extremely comfortably, and then crashed against an inconsistent West Indian side they were heavily backed to beat. Ultimately though, like you said, it's not unpredictable for them to top one of the groups.

    Just one small gripe - not to take away from SAF's achievement last year, but they didn't level Australia's ODI record. Reporting was actually really sloppy on this, and many journos seemed to think they hit 20 victories in a row, and only just missed out on the record after being beaten by India. But in fact there was a tie and two no-results in the streak, which was more an unbeaten streak, if you like. I think they got 13 wins on the trot all up.
    "Youre known for having a liking for men who look like women."
    - Linda

    "FFS I'm sick and tired of having to see a bloke bend over to pick something up or lean over and see their arse crack. For christ's sake pull your pants up or buy some underpants you bogan because nobody want's to see it. And this is a boat building shed (well one of them) not a porn studio."
    - Craig

  4. #109
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Love™
    They did it in '96, too. Won every one of their group games extremely comfortably, and then crashed against an inconsistent West Indian side they were heavily backed to beat. Ultimately though, like you said, it's not unpredictable for them to top one of the groups.
    SA were clearly the best team in both the 96 and 99 world cups and had the best group of players on the field. They really should have won both world cups if it werent for their choking in the big games. I guess that was one of the disadvantages of the 96 wc format, the knockout stages happened way too early, and you really only needed one bad day to lose to a team that was significantly worse than you. As such in 2003, i dont think anyone could complain about SA not going through, they didnt really deserve to duckworth lewis or not.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!


  5. #110
    R_D
    R_D is offline
    International Debutant R_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,938
    Pakistan had an excellent team in 99 as well and probaly along with SA the best 2 teams.
    Pakistan's bowling attack was really good. The 2 W's, Shoaib and Saqlain and Razzaq was pretty good bowler back than.
    They probaly should've won that world cup but like SA choked at the big stage.

  6. #111
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurrz

    New Zealand vs Australia
    West Indies vs South Africa
    Nice prediction.
    Supporting: NSW & Australia, women's cricket

  7. #112
    International Vice-Captain Slats4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Warwickshire HQ
    Posts
    4,294
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool
    SA were clearly the best team in both the 96 and 99 world cups and had the best group of players on the field. They really should have won both world cups if it werent for their choking in the big games. I guess that was one of the disadvantages of the 96 wc format, the knockout stages happened way too early, and you really only needed one bad day to lose to a team that was significantly worse than you. As such in 2003, i dont think anyone could complain about SA not going through, they didnt really deserve to duckworth lewis or not.
    to be fair i think australia had the best team in 99! they won I think, and they also won about 7 in a row when their backs were to the wall.
    WCC - Manager of Warwickshire

  8. #113
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Slats4ever
    to be fair i think australia had the best team in 99! they won I think, and they also won about 7 in a row when their backs were to the wall.
    Firstly Australia didnt win 7 in a row in that world cup. That is a misconception. The Aus-SA semifinal was a tie, they didnt win that game. They won 5 in a row(1 against bangladesh and another against zimbabwe).
    As for Australia being the better side, i think if you made a direct comparison, you'd see that SA had far and away the better players. SA were batting all the way down to number 9 or 10(Boucher was coming in at 9), while Australia were batting down to 7(really 6 if you consider that moody was down at 7). Kallis back then was in his prime with the ball and averaging over 40 with the bat, Klusener was the player of the tournament, Cronje and Kirsten were both averaging 40, Rhodes was as brilliant as he always has been, and Gibbs, Cullinan, Boucher and Pollock are hardly bad players either.
    Bar Mark Waugh and Bevan most of the Australian batsmen were averaging in the mid to low 30s, some like Martyn and moody were averaging in the 20s at the time.
    The bowling was a little bit more even with Mcgrath, Warne and Fleming matching Pollock, Donald and Elworthy, but Reiffel was at the fag end of his career and was definetly no where near the class of Kallis and Klusener.
    Fielding wise SA were by far the better team.
    Cronje was easily a better captain than Waugh especially with Bob Woolmer by his side.
    Looking at their respective records going into the tournament, SA were easily the better side.
    Theres absolutely no way anyone can claim with a straight face that Australia had the better players. No one matched the SA side in terms of the quality of their players and the depth of batting, bowling, fielding and number of all rounders.

  9. #114
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago (Trinidad)
    Posts
    36,795
    South Africa entered the World Cup in 1999 with the Champions Trophy under their belts. And I think player for player they had a superior squad to Australia's.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."


  10. #115
    Banned sideshowtim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,255
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool
    Firstly Australia didnt win 7 in a row in that world cup. That is a misconception. The Aus-SA semifinal was a tie, they didnt win that game. They won 5 in a row(1 against bangladesh and another against zimbabwe).
    As for Australia being the better side, i think if you made a direct comparison, you'd see that SA had far and away the better players. SA were batting all the way down to number 9 or 10(Boucher was coming in at 9), while Australia were batting down to 7(really 6 if you consider that moody was down at 7). Kallis back then was in his prime with the ball and averaging over 40 with the bat, Klusener was the player of the tournament, Cronje and Kirsten were both averaging 40, Rhodes was as brilliant as he always has been, and Gibbs, Cullinan, Boucher and Pollock are hardly bad players either.
    Bar Mark Waugh and Bevan most of the Australian batsmen were averaging in the mid to low 30s, some like Martyn and moody were averaging in the 20s at the time.
    The bowling was a little bit more even with Mcgrath, Warne and Fleming matching Pollock, Donald and Elworthy, but Reiffel was at the fag end of his career and was definetly no where near the class of Kallis and Klusener.
    Fielding wise SA were by far the better team.
    Cronje was easily a better captain than Waugh especially with Bob Woolmer by his side.
    Looking at their respective records going into the tournament, SA were easily the better side.
    Theres absolutely no way anyone can claim with a straight face that Australia had the better players. No one matched the SA side in terms of the quality of their players and the depth of batting, bowling, fielding and number of all rounders.
    okay then wise guy, surely if they were the far superior team they would've made the final and won it. australia > south africa. plain and simple.

  11. #116
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowtim
    okay then wise guy, surely if they were the far superior team they would've made the final and won it. australia > south africa. plain and simple.
    because the best team does not always win a tournament? Theres a reason why the WI won the ICC championships last time. All you need is one bad day and you're out. Its the same in a sport like tennis, the best player doesnt always win grandslams, unless you're roger federer and the difference between you and the rest of the players is vast. SA outperformed every other team from 95-00, their record in ODIs is peerless.

  12. #117
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,104
    Australia had a consistently superior record to South Africa in head to head ODIs in that period though, particularly in knockout matches. SA may have had better players in a head-to-head matchup, but there's no doubt that Australia had better players in pressure situations, and I think you underrate the leadership of Waugh compared to Cronje, given the impact that his leadership had in those two crucial matches in the '99 WC.

    Warne, Bevan and Steve Waugh thrived under pressure in a huge way, while a handful of South African players really came apart pretty badly. Being the better side isn't just about consistently performing against all opposition, it's about performing when it counts and winning key matches.

    edit: Incidentally, Ponting also averaged 40 odd going into that WC. More than Mark Waugh, in fact.
    Last edited by FaaipDeOiad; 05-11-2006 at 08:51 PM.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

  13. #118
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cricket
    Posts
    16,845
    yea thats true, Australia beat South Africa in the 98 VB series & 4-3 in a ODI seires during that 96-99 period even though the Saffies probably had a better ODI team on paper.
    Last edited by aussie; 05-11-2006 at 09:47 PM.

  14. #119
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Australia had a consistently superior record to South Africa in head to head ODIs in that period though, particularly in knockout matches. SA may have had better players in a head-to-head matchup, but there's no doubt that Australia had better players in pressure situations, and I think you underrate the leadership of Waugh compared to Cronje, given the impact that his leadership had in those two crucial matches in the '99 WC..
    Consistently superior head to head record? Between 95 and 00, SA had a 14-10 record against Australia and that includes a complete thrashing of them in the titan cup in 96/97 as well as complete dominance over them in the C & U series in 97/98(until the finals).
    http://stats.cricinfo.com/guru?sdb=t...ields=viewtype

    No SA were never the best team under pressure, particularly when it came to semi finals and finals but anyone can see that they had a far superior ODI record than Australia during that period against all nations and that they consistently had a much better XI on the field than Australia. As far as leadership is concerned, its blatantly obvious to anyone that Cronje was streets ahead of Steve Waugh in terms of leadership, match fixing or not.


    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Warne, Bevan and Steve Waugh thrived under pressure in a huge way, while a handful of South African players really came apart pretty badly. Being the better side isn't just about consistently performing against all opposition, it's about performing when it counts and winning key matches.
    SA might not have had the best record against Australia in tournament finals, but that doesnt however mean that they werent winning ODI series and finals otherwise. they still won the trophy in sharjah in 96 against India and Pakistant(walked all over them), the centenary trophy in kenya with SL and Pak in 96, the standard bank series with India and Zim in 97, the wills quadrangular tournament with pak, sl and WI in 97/98, the standard bank series with pak and SL in 98, the mini world cup in 98 and the standard bank series with England and zim in 99/00. They'd also beaten plenty of other teams in bilateral series in the meantime. To say that they werent better than Australia as a team because they didnt beat them in crunch games is pushing it IMO because they were definetly winning tournaments against other teams.

    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    edit: Incidentally, Ponting also averaged 40 odd going into that WC. More than Mark Waugh, in fact.
    Yes Australia had about 3 good batsmen-M. Waugh, Bevan and Ponting. Steve Waugh was acceptable, as was gilchrist and the rest werent even established batsmen in the side(Lehmann, martyn, blewett, divenuto,law, moody, julian or even mark taylor and whoever else it was that was playing at the time). Compare this with SA who had Kirsten, Cronje, Klusener, Rhodes, Kallis all of whom were averaging 40 or thereabouts. Then there was also Cullinan,mcmillan Pollock and Boucher all of whom were extremely effective players despite what their average suggests.
    Last edited by tooextracool; 05-11-2006 at 10:00 PM.

  15. #120
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    yea thats true, Australia beat South Africa in the 98 VB series & 4-3 in a ODI seires during that 96-99 period even though the Saffies probably had a better ODI team on paper.
    Yes and SA knocked them out of the titan cup in 96 as well as beat them 2-1 immediately after losing cronje(in the heat of the entire match fixing scandal) in 00. point being?
    Last edited by tooextracool; 05-11-2006 at 10:09 PM.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. ICC-Asia Split - Would you really care?
    By Langeveldt in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 144
    Last Post: 27-08-2006, 06:10 PM
  2. Old but Still Gold
    By What-A-Player in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 04:50 PM
  3. No Asian Representation?
    By chekmeout in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 01-07-2005, 04:48 AM
  4. The Australian team - A disgrace to the game
    By nookie_lk in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 545
    Last Post: 30-12-2004, 05:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •