Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 141

Thread: No Asians ?

  1. #91
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,895
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz
    Are we talking about tests or ODIs ?

    Besides I iask you look into the history of most (if not all) cricket playing countries and see that their home records is almost always better than their away record.

    ODI Records:

    India Home: 56%
    India Away: 37%
    Difference: 19%

    Sri Lanka Home: 72%
    Sri Lanka Away: 37%
    Difference: 35%

    Australia Home: 65%
    Australia Away: 58%
    Difference: 7%

    West Indies Home: 64%
    West Indies Away: 54%
    Difference: 10%

    England Home: 58%
    England Away: 41%
    Difference: 18%

    South Africa Home: 73%
    South Africa Away: 48%
    Difference: 25%

    Pakistan Home: 61%
    Pakistan Away: 48%
    Difference: 13%

    New Zealand Away: 56%
    New Zealand Home: 31%
    Difference: 25%

    So the difference, in terms of largest difference to least:

    1. 35%: Sri Lanka
    2. 25%: South Africa
    3. 25%: New Zealand
    4. 19%: India
    5. 18%: England
    6. 13%: Pakistan
    7. 10%: West Indies
    8. 7%: Australia



    So on the face of it, Australia are the most consistent home and abroad, whereas Sri Lanka are the least. However, that is a simple list based on just home-away and not subcontinental or not matches.

    There is a significant difference (two out of top three), though its not as large as I expected. With that said, it is still the first time since the 1970's where none of the subcontinental teams are through to the second round! Especially amazing considering the winning % of some of the teams in the subcontinent. The one that sticks out is South Africa. I knew that they had troubles, but didn't know it was that bad (bad in terms of difference, their winning % is still higher than most teams).
    Last edited by silentstriker; 30-10-2006 at 07:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  2. #92
    R_D
    R_D is offline
    International Debutant R_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,938
    maybe not so hard to beleive all asians teams are out..considering the pitches were far from being the usual sub-contiental pitches.
    Should be interesting finally thou... i do hope WI or NZ win.

  3. #93
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    So on the face of it, Australia are the most consistent home and abroad, whereas Sri Lanka are the least. However, that is a simple list based on just home-away and not subcontinental or not matches.

    There is a significant difference (two out of top three), though its not as large as I expected. With that said, it is still the first time since the 1970's where none of the subcontinental teams are through to the second round! Especially amazing considering the winning % of some of the teams in the subcontinent. The one that sticks out is South Africa. I knew that they had troubles, but didn't know it was that bad (bad in terms of difference, their winning % is still higher than most teams).
    SS - That's stupid statistics at best. Did you know that Neutral games are not played at home either and normally played away from home ?


    Besides what is the point, are you using your own statistics to prove yourself wrong ?

  4. #94
    International Coach adharcric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    10,898
    Quote Originally Posted by R_D
    maybe not so hard to beleive all asians teams are out..considering the pitches were far from being the usual sub-contiental pitches.
    Should be interesting finally thou... i do hope WI or NZ win.
    I'll definitely root for Australia. Unless they're playing India, I'll always take an Aussie victory. One reason why: I don't want anyone but India to beat 'em.


  5. #95
    R_D
    R_D is offline
    International Debutant R_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,938
    Quote Originally Posted by adharcric
    I'll definitely root for Australia. Unless they're playing India, I'll always take an Aussie victory. One reason why: I don't want anyone but India to beat 'em.
    there was a time when i used to root ( had to use that word ) for the aussies. Most of my mates pretty much don't care about cricket now cause they know Aus is going to win. There'll nothing better than seeing Aussies lose to NZ.... hahaha the ultimate shame for them.
    No disrespect to NZ, aussies hate losing to NZ just as much as England.
    I'll have a field day after they loss

  6. #96
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    ODI Records:

    New Zealand Away: 56%
    New Zealand Home: 31%
    Difference: 15%
    Didnt take subtraction too seriously in kindergarten did you?
    Anyways i think its pretty obvious that SL and India are both vastly superior teams at home than they are away. Pakistan is a bit better in that regard.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

  7. #97
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,895
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool
    Didnt take subtraction too seriously in kindergarten did you?
    Anyways i think its pretty obvious that SL and India are both vastly superior teams at home than they are away. Pakistan is a bit better in that regard.

    Oops!

  8. #98
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,895
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz
    Besides what is the point, are you using your own statistics to prove yourself wrong ?
    Actually, it did prove me wrong. I posted those statistics so I can agree with you, except in case of Sri Lanka. That's what I get for admitting I'm wrong, I guess.

  9. #99
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool
    Didnt take subtraction too seriously in kindergarten did you?
    Anyways i think its pretty obvious that SL and India are both vastly superior teams at home than they are away. Pakistan is a bit better in that regard.
    And the reason for that is not because their batsmen are any better/worse against any particular type of bowling but because SriLanka and SriLanka have a very poor pace attack over all to achieve decent success away from home.

    Pakistan is better because they have always had great fast bowlers in last 30-35 years.

  10. #100
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz
    And the reason for that is not because their batsmen are any better/worse against any particular type of bowling but because SriLanka and SriLanka have a very poor pace attack over all to achieve decent success away from home.

    Pakistan is better because they have always had great fast bowlers in last 30-35 years.
    In indias case that maybe true, bit in SL case i think their batsmen have the tendency to struggle on foreign soil while being extremely productive at home.

  11. #101
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,548
    Hmmm, interesting with no subcontinental sides in the final four..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.

  12. #102
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,197
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Birtannia
    It's not all that surprising really, Australia and South Africa are the two sides that consistently bring their best game to the tournaments and I would think most people would have selected them to top the groups.
    Tell me one person who thought SA would top the group? I thought they might, and took a punt but they were paying >$4 at one stage. Then when SL were in the group after qualification they became favourites. How can you say SA bring their best game to the tournaments when you look at the 2003 World Cup, 2004 CT and the VB Series vs Aust & SL (even considering their injuries)?
    Last edited by Jono; 30-10-2006 at 04:44 PM.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  13. #103
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    25,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Tell me one person who thought SA would top the group? I thought they might, and took a punt but they were paying >$4 at one stage. Then when SL were in the group after qualification they became favourites. How can you say SA bring their best game to the tournaments when you look at the 2003 World Cup, 2004 CT and the VB Series vs Aust?
    I think we can pardon them the VB series, considering whom they were missing at the time.

  14. #104
    International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Tell me one person who thought SA would top the group? I thought they might, and took a punt but they were paying >$4 at one stage. Then when SL were in the group after qualification they became favourites. How can you say SA bring their best game to the tournaments when you look at the 2003 World Cup, 2004 CT and the VB Series vs Aust & SL (even considering their injuries)?
    As to topping groups, it's probably a fair comment in general though. Where Great Birtannia went wrong is probably the overall comment that they bring their best game to the big tourneys, period. 'Cause they have a tendency to look red-hot in the preliminary rounds before they blow it all in a semi or a final (or final series).

    And he probably didn't mean domestics like the VB series when he said tournaments, anyway.
    "Youre known for having a liking for men who look like women."
    - Linda

    "FFS I'm sick and tired of having to see a bloke bend over to pick something up or lean over and see their arse crack. For christ's sake pull your pants up or buy some underpants you bogan because nobody want's to see it. And this is a boat building shed (well one of them) not a porn studio."
    - Craig

  15. #105
    International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz
    Flame Bait. Sonme people continue to bait in the name of irony.
    Sanz -- It probably is flame bait to a degree, but mate, people do have a laugh at that kind of thing. I'm sure similar would be happening if Australia got knocked out after the prelim rounds, were we hosting the event. This one's a little bit funnier because every single subcontinental team missed out. I don't think it's anything too serious though.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. ICC-Asia Split - Would you really care?
    By Langeveldt in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 144
    Last Post: 27-08-2006, 05:10 PM
  2. Old but Still Gold
    By What-A-Player in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 03:50 PM
  3. No Asian Representation?
    By chekmeout in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 01-07-2005, 03:48 AM
  4. The Australian team - A disgrace to the game
    By nookie_lk in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 545
    Last Post: 30-12-2004, 04:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •