• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Lara Bat lower down the order against india too?

Bouncer

State Regular
I think the most crucial most interesting game of tournament will be WINDIES vs INDIA, boy what game, both teams have perfect batting line up for playing at thos Indian batting paradise wickets, Indians are a head of Winides in overall batting line up but when it comes to delievering when matters, I have lot more trust in Lara than Sachin.

Brian batted lower down the order against the Aussies and played an inning that took WI to a winning total. and i am thinking if he does the same thing in India game he has a better chance of making things work for Windians

The only time in whole inning where Indian bowling can impose themselves is first 15 overs with new ball and Pathan and Co swinging the ball and enticing West indian batsman to play strokes and have'em make mistakes. And this is the reason i'd hope that Lara plays down the order to avoid the first few overs where Ball has possibility of swinging. I am sure Brian, after he settles down can score runs at great pace and even if he bats for over 24 onwards, he still can end up with a 70+ score and take Windinian total to good level.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It depends on the situation tbh. If the West Indies lose 2 wickets for not too many, I'd prefer to see Lara in there before anyone else in the team It's not like he's incapable of playing the swinging ball. Ideally, he should come in when he can face the bulk of the spinners though. It really depends on what sort of start WI can procure.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Bouncer said:
Brian batted lower down the order against the Aussies and played an inning that took WI to a winning total. and i am thinking if he does the same thing in India game he has a better chance of making things work for Windians.
It depends on the pitch to a large extent. The kind of pitch which existed in the earlier match, it made a lot of sense for Lara to come in later. However, in one day cricket, you want your best players batting higher up so that they can face the maximum overs in most cases.

leepayne

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'm a firm believer that Brian Lara should come in at number three in the batting order. He can play a holding role, because he can stay at the crease and score a century while nobody further down really jumps out and says that to me.

dubai194

Banned
lara has the best record on number 3 position, through most of the 90's he batted at number 3 and his average at number 3 in near 50, though i would like too see lara to also open batting some times. he was a great opener at the beginning of his career in the early 90's

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'd still open the Shiv. Gayle and Shiv seem like they enjoy batting together.

Gayle
Shiv
Lara
Morton
Sarwan

Sarwan has shown he can bat late before in his career, and Lara is one of the GOAT, give him as many overs to face as possible.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
On spinner friendly pitches in the subcontinent, I would rather have Lara bat when the spinners come on, meaning #5 or so.

tooextracool

International Coach
Jono said:
I'd still open the Shiv. Gayle and Shiv seem like they enjoy batting together.

Gayle
Shiv
Lara
Morton
Sarwan

Sarwan has shown he can bat late before in his career, and Lara is one of the GOAT, give him as many overs to face as possible.
all i can say is that as long as chanderpaul opens the batting, that is quite an impressive top 5. its an interesting one to decide 3-4-5, but i think Morton cant come in anywhere after 3 because he really needs to be given as much time as possible in the middle and isnt much of a middle-late overs player unless hes set. The Lara-Sarwan combo would probably vary depending on the situation, but while i would really like to see Sarwan batting higher up in the order because hes a good enough player i think hes probably the better player to be able to accomodate himself at 5 than Lara is.

tooextracool

International Coach
yes unfortunately for the benefit of the team lara has had to sacrifice his best position and take up the responsiblity in the middle order in ODIs. Its a pity because had he not done so, he might have ended up amongst the Bevans, Tendulkars and Richards as one of the top ODI players ever.